Decals

Re: Decals

Postby Tom Dempsey » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:04 pm

Note the year on that picture, forklifts were still something fairly new at that point. That looks to me to be a road repair to get the car back to the homeroad or to a car shop for a door replacement.
Tom Dempsey

Postby j p » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:25 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:Note the year on that picture, forklifts were still something fairly new at that point. That looks to me to be a road repair to get the car back to the homeroad or to a car shop for a door replacement.

I am not sure about the forklift thing.
The picture is from 1953. Forklifts were used long before WW2.
Clark made their first forklift in 1917.

1939 forklift
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
j p

Postby Tom Dempsey » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:46 pm

Yes, streamlined cars and diesel-electric locomotives existed pre-war also, but you sure didn't see them everywhere. Alot of cars were still loaded by hand until late in the fifties or early sixties, especially west of the Mississippi and south of the Mason Dixon line. Forklifts didn't start showing up routinely at outlying loading points until then, folks knew they existed but weren't about to tie up that much capital when hand labor was adequate and fairly cheap. (By the way, that's the part of the door that I saw taken out by a fork lift in 2002. It's the same repair I made to get the car on the way to homeshop).
Tom Dempsey

Postby gerhard_k » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:39 am

scaro wrote:http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ic/ic11346jpa.jpg

what do folk think is going on with the door of this car in Jim Parker's photo?

Interesting photo - it struck me that this looks nothing like those diagrams of Fowlers, this car has very unequal panel sizes and only one diagonal brace to the left of the door.
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby scaro » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:58 pm

it's an evolution of a car which was built by the Illinois central, a couple of years before the Fowler patent but which was very similar. it is certainly not a fowler, just something that evolved from a pre-Fowler design which had a lot of similarities to fowlers.

i find it interesting but it is a car that only the illinois central owned.
scaro

Postby scaro » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:44 pm

There is a chance for Piedmont & Northern decals for their 1100 series cars, should anyone be interested. Contact me offlist or on my email address which some of you know.

Ben
scaro

Re: FEC Boxcars

Postby j p » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:55 am

railtwister wrote:
j p wrote:Weren't the ventilated express cars with the lettering "Ventilated Express" while normal express without it?
Or built as normal express boxcars and ventilation added later? The picture looks like shortly after delivery or builder's photo (reweigh NEW)

Interesting question. The vents and notation of ventilated car may well have been added later. The "ventilated" description does look sort of like it was added as an afterthought, as it doesn't really look like it was part of the original graphic layout somehow. I think the answer would be easier to determine if someone has a picture of the same car (#610) that shows it with the vents. If so, it's a safe bet that they were added later.

Bill in FtL

Any idea about the paint? Was it "boxcar red", blue, or something else? I am not an expert on FEC :)
I have the decals for one express boxcar and I will use old trucks from interurban EMU. They are not exactly the same, but close enough.

Thanks
Jan
j p

Postby MacG » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:04 pm

I know only this list, but there is no FEC on it :(

Sorry, I have bad translated. I think box car red, see here: http://www.geocities.ws/myfecrailway/oldies.html
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby Marquette » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:21 am

j p wrote:Any idea about the paint? Was it "boxcar red", blue, or something else? I am not an expert on FEC :)

Both schemes existed.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby j p » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:26 am

Marquette wrote:
j p wrote:Any idea about the paint? Was it "boxcar red", blue, or something else? I am not an expert on FEC :)

Both schemes existed.

Thanks. I have trucks only for one car. The picture looks like shortly after manufacturing (new reweigh). So I'll go for the red.
j p

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion