Decals

Re: Decals

Postby j p » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:28 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:Has anyone asked Rail Graphics if he can re-size his generic freight car data sheets to TT size? They contain dimensional and weight data plus other common small lettering so all one needs is to find road numbers and reporting marks. I've used the Rail Graphics sheets to do O and S scale cars with good results......DaveB

It maybe good for 0 and S scale, but it is a pain to assemble the numbers in TT.
If I can get the artwork from those who would not do TT scale decals, I could resize it to TT and get it printed.
I have just made a set for PRR G31E gondola and it took only 15 minutes because I only had to modify G31B.
Anyway, there is not much interest for the decals. Only 2 and half sheets out of those decals I made (so far). It is not a problem, but it makes the delivery time long.
The next decals are for Mexican Eagle 10000 gallon tank car, I don't expect much interest for that one, it cannot be used after 1937 or something like that.
Then I want to do one sheet in colors, including Belcher Oil and UTLX tank cars.
j p

Postby scaro » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:28 pm

Jan, I thought I'd sent some artwork already ... but I assume that the online images I linked to you are not the artwork?

TTerrific, generally, my view is that TT without decals or transfers is just not viable. The distinctive thing about the American prototype is the huge variety of logos and slogans on the car. If you cannot replicate that, you can't model it ...

The old decal producers have given up, one after the other. It it is apparently not worth anyone's while to get into it. Heck, even Walthers got out of it. This is affecting all hobbies that need lettering.

I see there is lettering you can buy as in cardboard lettered sides but a lot of it looks quite, umm fanciful and it may not be easy to rivet it and add other 3D detail. Maybe there's a business in printing paper boxcar sides that you could rivet and laminate? Who knows ... I'm not an expert. I suppose that technique though, blanks, with printed sides, is going to be the only option until someone comes up with a replacement for ALPS printers that will do white. It's amazing that with all the home printers we all have, that they won't do the one colour that is needed. But there it is.

As for getting custom runs I would say that not wanting to spend $55 to letter each car is not negative, or if it is, the lack of finished, lettered freight cars shown on this site is a good sign that this is one 'negativity' that everyone here who is not a millionare shares :wink:

Ben
Last edited by scaro on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scaro

Postby j p » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:43 pm

The artwork is a digital file in vector format, usually in Adobe Illustrator or pdf format.

Would there be any interest for this AAR 40' boxcar? It can be either in boxcar red or in blue.
j p

Postby scaro » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:53 pm

yes, I think it's a great scheme and I like the FEC. i'd take it in red, blue, or both.
scaro

Postby areibel » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:54 pm

Millionaires? Really?
I'm VERY far from that and I was able to buy decals for about $4 per car. Yes, I had to buy 20 of them for that price but come on Ben! You're looking for decals for some pretty obscure roads, and you can't find them- that's the big problem in TT?
If you have to buy a sheet of 20 then offer the rest up here- I'm sure there would be buyers. Or make them yourself- I got an idea from a posting on Trains.com for doing white deals a while ago (before I had decals made), it would have been my next attempt. It's actually very similar to what Pat is doing with his reefers. Paint a piece of styrene sheet with Boxcar red (or whatever color you choose), Apply a set of HO decals. Scan it, reduce it and print it on a piece of white decal paper. If you paint the car the same color as the styrene it should be a close match, you can cut the decals off of the sheet and apply them as blocks. No Alps printer needed! The examples shown on that forum looked good, it was actually going the other way (HO scale to S) but I don't see where it would be much different.
areibel

Postby j p » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:00 pm

scaro wrote:yes, I think it's a great scheme and I like the FEC. i'd take it in red, blue, or both.

I'd do only the white part of it. Painting the cars would be left for you.
j p

Postby scaro » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:23 pm

Jan

oh ... guess you know what I mean ... i'd take it in white or yellow. I will see if I can find artwork people are willing to share, but my guess is that they generally have someone they prefer to print it, and that is where it quickly becomes unviable.

Al,

yes, millionaires ... I would get a run and offer them but my experience is that is I'd have no takers, for something like the Georgia Road. we are talking $US55 a car, mate. OK, I might need two, but then I have 23 sets to get rid of, and I don't think anyone much has anything to swap. and that is one car out of the ten or so I'd need to get done ... for that road. and then the roads that ran near it and interchanged ... CofG, SAL, ACL, SCL, L&N, Frisco ... starts to mount up awful fast. I am seeing if I can get a sheet printed with a few decals on it so that at least that investment will do three or four cars, but I don't think I can even get that done.

Anyways, the simple thing is I can't afford $55 a car. This lack of decals is a real problem as I have researched the area ... everyone is feeling it. We are not talking about nothing here. We are talking about something. I do not see pictures on here of lots of lines of TT model freight cars in all the varying paint schemes US RRs had ... and it's pretty clear to me why.

as to the technique of scanning the whole side and printing it on decal paper, I am looking at something similar, but I cannot see the need to even make a decal of it. printed paper with the right ink, or backing could just be laminated onto a plain blank plastic side, with rivets and weld lines indented from under, other detail added on top, without bothering with the decal at all. it does need good artwork, the right paper, the right ink and the right glue, or else it discolours. worth exploring, anyway.
Last edited by scaro on Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
scaro

Postby milwrd1 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:10 pm

j p wrote:The artwork is a digital file in vector format, usually in Adobe Illustrator or pdf format.

Would there be any interest for this AAR 40' boxcar? It can be either in boxcar red or in blue.

jp

Count me in for 2 sets of the FEC boxcar decals. No rush, whenever you're ready.
milwrd1

Postby ctxmf74 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:28 pm

"The examples shown on that forum looked good, it was actually going the other way (HO scale to S) but I don't see where it would be much different."

Actually I've found going smaller comes out better than going larger. I printed some photos of car sides TT size and built models from them but the same photos were not sharp enough when I enlarged the prints to S scale size....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby milwrd1 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:32 pm

I have to agree with both Al and Scaro. Decals are easier TODAY than it was 25 years ago in TT. We still don't have many of the larger roads, CofG, SAL, ACL, SCL, L&N and Frisco to name a few. But the technology is readily available and more companies today are offering to do decals in TT scale than there was many years ago. The artwork has to be provided, or an HO set can be provided for the artwork, but sometimes copyright issues may appear.

For dimensional data, I've used Microscale N scale set 60-2. This is by choice. The lettering is so small that at most typical model viewing distances it doesn't matter. However, for the extreme rivet counters out there, this approach will not work. I would not split hairs if a 50 ton car had a capacity label of 55 tons. If the model is being entered in an RPM meet, this approach won't work. TT to me has always been a scale of compromise. Also, I've used Champ Narrow Gauge decal set HD-42 for dimensional data on some freight cars. This option is out since Champ has been out of business for some time now. One may be able to locate a set on eBay.

For the guys who are into Canadian prototypes and some others, Allen Ferguson at Black Cat Publishing will do any of the HO sets he offers for the same price as the HO set. His minimum purchase requirement is 1 set. This seems more than reasonable to me. One can view the HO versions of the Black Cat decal offerings at the Central Hobbies website (Bill Dixon, Vancouver BC)
milwrd1

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion