dcc bedding glass

dcc bedding glass

Postby jmass » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:13 pm

wanting to run my digital set for awhile on my table top i kept coming up with a short on my esu dcc system. now i just ran my f3 on the layout with no problems. i hooked up the dcc unit to run the br 118 and kept coming up with a short. i can only think of one possibilty, due to lack of bedding track their is more then one terminal track on the layout. they have capicitors on them. no problem runnin the f3 in dc. maybe causeing a problem in dcc?
jmass

Re: dcc bedding glass

Postby dileTTante » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:59 pm

Remove the capacitor(s) and try again.
I have almost no experience but at Vancouver train show last year Bill D. put in extra pieces of bedding track and immediately had short circuit with DCC. One piece of track had a capacitor. After Bill removed the capacitor everything was good.
-Terry
dileTTante

Postby jmass » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:21 pm

that was the problem. already done. thanks Terry
jmass

Postby CSD » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:50 pm

In a DC circuit current cannot flow across the plates of a capacitor. Instead, charge is stored on the plates and then is discharged back into to the circuit at a rate dependent on its rating. This has the effect of smoothing the rectified DC. The digital signal is AC, however. Due to the reversing nature of AC waveforms the negative and positive sides are constantly changing thus creating AC current flow i.e. a short circuit through the capacitor.
Mark
//S
CSD

Return to General Discussion