Cylindrical hoppers

Re: Cylindrical hoppers

Postby CFRiad » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:21 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:$ 142.31 Cnd$ for one car.

I heard a sharp intake of breath coming from my wallet. Waiting for the undecorated kit, I guess...
CFRiad

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:14 am

Kit for me too....
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bernd » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:29 am

$142.31 Canadian is $106.08 USA. I don't think my PayPal account will like that. I look at a price tag of around $40 some for an HO car and I think that's to high. I'm sure I won't be even purchasing a kit if it's over $40. Besides the car is way to modern for what I model. Sorry to say I won't be a customer.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:47 pm

Unfortunately that's the price for low volume. No way around it :cry:
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bernd » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:07 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Unfortunately that's the price for low volume. No way around it :cry:

I guess I need a little more information on production. I take it the cars are plastic injection molded. So what's the low volume count. It almost sounds like they keep the volume low to keep the price high. Do the molds wear out? What kind of molds are used, aluminum, tool steel, high temp resin. Inquiring minds.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby jmass » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:22 pm

I ordered one. over the years Mike and Sylvia have taken good care of me as far as orders have gone, including sending me a free chassis on an f3 when the original didn't work right. price is high, and it comes with a cost. to afford ready to run stock from any of these manufactures, I will have to start selling off European stock.
jmass

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:42 pm

Bernd wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:Unfortunately that's the price for low volume. No way around it :cry:

I guess I need a little more information on production. I take it the cars are plastic injection molded. So what's the low volume count. It almost sounds like they keep the volume low to keep the price high. Do the molds wear out? What kind of molds are used, aluminum, tool steel, high temp resin. Inquiring minds.

Bernd

I don't know the details but knowing what I know about the market for TT scale North American rolling stock, I would bet they don't sell more than 100 of any of their models. Maybe even more like 50.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby dileTTante » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:08 pm

ConducTTor wrote:I would bet they don't sell more than 100 of any of their models. Maybe even more like 50.
At that price, it's likely. But these cars are usually many to a train. Wouldn't the few modelers who wanted them buy several if the price were lower?
-Terry C
dileTTante

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:17 am

dileTTante wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:I would bet they don't sell more than 100 of any of their models. Maybe even more like 50.
At that price, it's likely. But these cars are usually many to a train. Wouldn't the few modelers who wanted them buy several if the price were lower?
-Terry C

It's all supply and demand. That's what determines price.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CFRiad » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:25 am

ConducTTor wrote:It's all supply and demand. That's what determines price.

That and business model: either high margin low volume, or low margin high volume. I do not know well enough the market for north American TT, but my hunch is that the latter business model cannot work in the current conditions.

Maybe somebody is willing to risk sinking in a lot of dough and operating at a loss for a long time in order to create a market. And by creating a market I am not talking about convincing 25-50 forum members to buy 2-3 cars each. I am talking about going big: having cheap starter kits under thousands of Christmas trees, having shiny "The Ideal Scale" booths at every modelling show across the continent, sponsoring elaborate layouts, etc. And would that have a 50% chance of succeeding?
CFRiad

PreviousNext

Return to Lok-N-Roll TT Scale Models