Current State of TT in North America

Re: Current State of TT in the USA

Postby areibel » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:15 pm

I'm pretty dang happy!
Even though the GP38-2 is taking a painfully long time, it's solving a few bugs that should make life easier for TT'ers in the future.
And with the Gondola a success, and more to come I'm optimistic. Hard to believe that that one gondola made you the second largest US manufacturer of US Prototype TT (After PVM) but the rest of the stuff looks great- I am a little glad it didn't all come at once, I'd be melting down my credit cards like never before!
Keep up the GREAT work!
Al
Last edited by areibel on Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
areibel

Postby Marquette » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:06 pm

Well, don't forget Art & Detail - the CP Pulpwood flat, the CN wood caboose, the CP steel caboose and centrebeam flat to come... they're a big addition, too!

Overall, I think things are very much looking up!
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby areibel » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:16 pm

I was only counting available projects- if you look at everything else that's been proposed (also including Andrey's SD45, A&D's SD40, Gold Coast's new reefers and Ingo's future offerings) it's even better!
But I don't count it until it's in my sweaty palms!
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:09 am

Things don't seem so bleak and dire anymore huh?

Nothing happens overnight but it appears that things are moving at a brisk pace.

Cheers everybody!
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby TinGoat » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:34 pm

Hi Kids,

Conventional wisdom is that you can never have too many boxcars.

As nice as the Gold Coast ones are, they are still steam era.

If you want to attract a new generation of TT-Scalers, then new/modern equipment is needed.

The modern equivalent of the boxcar is the ISO Container.

How about a variation of the A&D Pulpwood flatcar For TOFC and Containers?

There aren't any Modern Tractor Trailers available in TT but there are several ISO Containers that can be used...

ConducTTor wrote:Do me a favor and link to the topic instead of the exact post. Linking to specific posts has never worked and I've never looked into it since no one has cared.

Oops, I though that I did... How's this? A&D Pulpwood flatcar
Last edited by TinGoat on Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Happy Railroadin'
The Tin Goat
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Overlooking Fairbank on the Toronto Belt Line
Ontario, Dominion of Canada
====
The Ontario Narrow Gauge Show:
http://www.narrowgaugeontario.com
====
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog:
http://humbervalleysimcoerailway.blogspot.com/
====
"Do you mind being apathetic?"
TinGoat

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:54 pm

TinGoat wrote:Hi Kids,

As nice as the Gold Coast ones are, they are still steam era.

If you want to attract a new generation of TT-Scalers, then new/modern equipment is needed.

The modern equivalent of the boxcar is the ISO Container.

How about a variation of the A&D Pulpwood flatcar For TOFC and Containers?

There aren't any Modern Tractor Trailers available in TT but there are several ISO Containers that can be used...

Do me a favor and link to the topic instead of the exact post. Linking to specific posts has never worked and I've never looked into it since no one has cared.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:05 pm

TinGoat wrote:

Yeah, to go along with the new gondola, tank car and PS2 hopper I'd like to have a 50 foot Railbox type boxcar and a 57 foot PFE mechanical reefer. I could model a pretty decent rail scene with those cars....dave
ctxmf74

Postby Marquette » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:07 pm

Well, I like the PS2 exactly because it is steam/transition era... I think both the 40' and 50' PS1 boxcars would be an excellent thing to have, because they fit both late steam/transition era all the way forward into the 80s (and later for the 50 footers).

And now my personal view... I *love* the fact that there's all this development in TT scale! But post-1970 I could care less about, even what railfanning I do IRL centres around going to museums, looking at track for scenery purposes, or hunting for old (pre-1970) equipment.

I'm also not sure whether the idea that modern equipment is needed to attract a new generation to TT scale... there's a lot of young (<40 years) modellers who model stuff from "before their time", 1970s and before.

What we do need is new models - which is happening; what era the prototype is from is perhaps less important. But last I looked, I think the majority of modelling being done is in the 1945-1975 period, at least from what I've seen being done.

So I'd say that focus should be on equipment which has the widest span of time in service, rather than the ultra-new. Something like the PS2 is great exactly because of that - introduced in the 1940s, still kicking about nowadays. 50' PS1 boxcar is like that too. For Canada, 36' Fowler boxcar is a definite must, since they ran from 1914-ish all the way into the 1980s.

Now that I think of it, I love the fact that we're at a stage now that we can actually have this discussion - it means stuff is happening and things are becoming available!
Marquette

Postby Marquette » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:14 pm

Also, one comment re the Gold Coast boxcars - they may be steam era, but they did last in service into the late 1970s!
Marquette

Postby Arseny » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:08 pm

TinGoat wrote:Hi Kids,

Are you sure?
As for me, I prefer just steam era. Or, maybe, early diesel era - i.e. 1930s-1950s.
I am sure it was a "golden era" of railways. (And of automobiles too, BTW).
There is something romantic in steam locomotives.
And what's interesting in modern equipment? Pfff... stupid dull boxes. :)

Do you remember "Some Like It Hot" comedy film?
Marilyn Monroe passing by the steam locomotive. And later, with "Josephine" and "Geraldine" and all the musical band going to Florida by train?
Maybe, that's why I like american railroads... ;)
Last edited by Arseny on Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arseny

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion