Current State of TT in North America

Re: Current State of TT in the USA

Postby jpachl » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:29 am

AngrySailor302 wrote:My present plan is to make a 3 "module" layout for TT. One big module for the US items, a small one to represent the UK, finally one to represent continental Europe.

I'm not sure if anybody here knows the magazine Model Trains International (MTI), see http://www.modeltrainsinternational.co.uk. This magazine is based in the UK but, as the title suggests, does not concentrate on Britisch prototype modelling. There are also a lot of articles especially on American and German model railroading. MTI quite differs from any other model railroad magazine. It focusses on model railroad philosophies out of the mainstream. Most of the featured layouts and layout concepts are small switching layouts. A feature many authors use is multi-moding, i.e., that one layout can be switched between different national modes. This is achieved by the following principles:

- choosing a track layout that can be found in different countries
- making characteristical structures and, if required, the backdrop exchangable

Thus, by replacing some structures and details the layout can be converted into another national mode. Instead of making several modules that follow American, British, and European prototypes, it should also be possible to design a layout that can be operated both in American, British, and European (or maybe Russian) mode.

Joern
jpachl

Postby 1 tt guy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:57 pm

^^^ THAT is a great idea! ConducTTor, can we get that link added?
1 tt guy

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:16 pm

The small TT layout that I drag with to different shows is in a way "Multi-moded" as I bring with different buildings from different countries and I will swap out structures when I swap out trains.

When I get out of the Navy, I intend on trying to get my hands on an old railroad building and setting up shop there, or at least have some 1:1 track to tinker with. I plan on having a fair portion of the house set up for each scale that I work with, and again at present, TT scale seems to be the one that I "obsess" over the most. I plan on trying to mimic some of my favourite railroading scenery from places I have visited, and that includes trying to model the train station complex in Toulon, France (one of the ports I visited with my "old girl" - the USS Annapolis (SSN-760) That station was one of the few places open in Toulon on Christmas, the others were bars, so one could imagine how a few buddies and I spent that day - riding trains and getting/staying drunk.

I plan on trying to incorporate some of the landscape from around my hometown in GA as well. In fact the only place that I have been that I will not incorporate anything from is connecticut. I know that there is a fair amount of rr history here, however from what I have endured in this heck-hole of a "state", I wish to distance myself from it as much as possible. The medical system here is responsible for a lot of my present poor state of health, and having state agencies here telling me that I have no right to complain about a local hospital that refused to treat injuries that are still causing me a great deal of pain among other things.

I think a multi section layout will be a little more impressive than a single one that you can swap out generic sections of, but that is just my 2 cents.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:42 pm

Link added. AngrySailor, sad to hear about the way you're treated. I won't get into governmental decisions/politics but I will say I have a high level of respect for those whose serve those decisions. Good luck with your situation.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby member13 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:52 pm

AngrySailor what kind of shop are you setting up?
member13

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:38 pm

Shop?

I do have a section of the back room set up as a work station for my 8 3/4" equipment as well as to provide ventilation for painting / paint stripping operations.

For the future, my wife wants to set up the 8 3/4" train back into it's old habitat - a petting zoo.

I would like to restore a few items of rolling stock and perhaps start a small museum. However, with my present problems prevent me from lifting anything greater than 10 lbs. for any period of time before the bulges in my groin start to swell up and reduce me to a pile of crying mess. So that may not come to pass. At the rate of which I am deteriorating, I am not sure what I will be capable of in the next few months, much less next few years. I am 26 and am now having problems with ulcers, bruise very easy, hernias in both sides of my groin, and as a final insult, impotence. Aside from the ulcers, which are very new (i.e. I was in the ER last Thursday after I started vomiting blood, when I was told that I now have an ulcer.), everything else has been ignored by the local doctors, as being "no big deal", even after one rather brutal hernia blow out led to me venting plasma to such an extent that people had thought that I had wet myself while in my dress white uniform.

Nicholle (my wife) thinks that I should put my collection up on display and we need to set up a small farm / rail museum, to try to bring my big passions together - my trains, and my tractors. Trust me, the tractors get me a lot of laughs most of the year, until I am plowing out my driveway while my neighbors look on and often beg for help with the snow in their driveway.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby jmass » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:35 pm

sounds like some of these doctors need a good old fashioned @#!woopin. sorry to hear you have to deal with these incensitive fools.
jmass

Postby Traincrazychapple » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:45 pm

TT is alive and well in Hardin Montana USA. I will be displaying my TT layout in our downtown stores this year.
Letting people see a beautiful little layout display operating could do wonders. I must say, in all my years, 68 of 'em, the layout I have is the only tt layout I've ever seen in person.

I know I can encourage some new people once they see this layout in action. I think I shall also display it at our next craft fair.

Everything I have is Euro/German/etc and they look real nice to me, I like the equipment as well as US equipment.
I am thinking that a small "Isle of Sodor" Thomas the tank layout would be cool.

And tt could certainly be used well to enter micro layouts in Carl Arendt's website carendt.com. this is an excellent site to get the creative juices flowing.

Happy rails.
Dick Traincrazychapple
Traincrazychapple

Postby member13 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:35 am

How about some pictures of your tt layout? I love seeing what others are doing! Also, is "carendt.com" the correct url? It's not working for me.
member13

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:14 am

Traincrazychapple wrote:TT is alive and well in Hardin Montana USA.

Welcome to the forum! I have a feeling TT is alive and well in many places - people just don't know about it.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion