Current State of TT in North America

Re: Current State of TT in the USA

Postby areibel » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:30 pm

Gold Coast did what few others did in TT- they took a big chance and started building knowing there wasn't much of a market (yet!). Before that was Jim O'Brien and Elmer McKay, they just took the bull by the horns and started turning out TT. Even back to the old days of Larry Sayre and John Harmon, and HP products before that, they just kept it going! Compared to them, I'm just more of a rabble rouser?
I've just gotten lucky a couple times. I kept pestering the Haggis out of people, I found out a little info that helped out at just the right time, I got in with a group of mostly like minded guys that wanted to do the same thing as I did. I'm allergic to "Arschlochs", (If I remember my basic German curses), a little bullheaded and more than a litle slow mentally, so the more a certain few said it'll never happen made me sure that it would. We've gone through the waiting, and now even earthquakes
are taking their toll but it's coming! I'm hoping to hear back on a quote for the GP38 etches from one of the best in Model RR etches, and that's about the second to the last thing we need. It's easy to just keep sending emails!
But I do think that our own ConducTTor should change his user name to "Alex the Great", he's of the same caliber as the others that stepped up and did it! So many have just sat back and complained that TT was dying, here's someone I'd bet that two years ago never thought he'd be doing what he's doing now!
areibel

Postby Marquette » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:14 pm

I have to add my voice to the props to Alex... his stuff really did inspire me to get my kiester into gear and learn how to do these CAD drawings... which in turn has really spurred me on again in modelling!
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:53 am

Hey Im just in it for the millions!
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:36 am

Do you want to conquer the world too? :)
Arseny

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:49 am

Arseny wrote:Do you want to conquer the world too? :)

Nah, too much work. I'd never have time for trains :lol:
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby richardedmonds » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:27 am

Nah, too much work. I'd never have time for trains :lol:[/quote]

But think of all the beer available to you :dance:
richardedmonds

Postby Arseny » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:48 am

ConducTTor wrote:
Arseny wrote:Do you want to conquer the world too? :)

Nah, too much work. I'd never have time for trains :lol:

Ok, the world of model trains? :wink:
Arseny

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:06 am

We're past the "Oh God it's terrible. There's nothing out there. Nobody cares. Maybe XYZ company will do something. Etc. etc.etc" phase.

There's a handful of projects going on out there. I think a status update can be good for all of us waiting in anticipation. So, for all those with projects in hand, how about a "status report"?

I'll start.

My U30B model is past the design/development stage. I'm now busy with contacting anybody and everybody for manufacturing quotes. My assumption is that there is no demand past a maximum of 20 pieces so that's what I'm planning for. A few unseen parts will be "cheap" RPs. The motor (is questionable but I expect it) will be an Atlas N scale. Wheels and gears will be sourced from LokNRoll / Hallig. The main chassis bulk is the big question right now. All else will be some version of an RP'd master for a mold and cast with a few twists depending on how things turn out. I hope to add etched details. Windows are a question mark as I haven't even looked into getting them done. Lighting will be LED. I'll assemble each model so it's a sort of RTR. The individual will have to paint it and add decals. I haven't the slightest idea how to package the whole thing as I've never produced anything for others. I'm doing my best to keep the final price under $300 and if the stars align just right, it could be in the $250 neighborhood. If things go well, it will be ready by year's end. If it doesn't work out, as I've already mentioned, I'll make the full design public.

So there you go. Your turn (you know who you are).
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:31 am

ConducTTor wrote:My U30B model is past the design/development stage. ... I'm doing my best to keep the final price under $300 and if the stars align just right, it could be in the $250 neighborhood.

Great news! And the price is good.
Hope I'll buy one. i like RTR models. ;)

...But if I model the Soo Line railroad, there will be some problem - as I know, there were no U30B there, only U30C...
Arseny

Re: Current State of TT in North America

Postby CSD » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:23 am

GP7/9: June 11, 2011 (or there abouts). Otherwise I am going to have some explaining to do.
Mark
//S
CSD

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion