Current State of TT in North America

Re: Current State of TT in the USA

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:41 pm

Traffic to the site has lately increased substantially and comments about TT are cropping up on multiple non scale forums. There are multiple projects that are in the works and a handful that have come to fruition. The state of TT is "kick Haggis". To the ney sayers I say, "oh ye of little faith......". Cheers to all!
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby BTTB Fan » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:16 pm

The best is yet to come! :thumbup:
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby Marquette » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:45 am

As I said at the show numerous times to visitors, 2010 was a very exciting year for TT - and 2011 promises to be yet better!
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:52 am

I'm curious what the "old timers" think. The guys that have been scratch building for years. The Yahoo group members. I know only a few of them frequent this site but I'm wondering what their general sentiment is?
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:01 am

you might check the TT Empire mag to find out. difficult toget any sort of general sentiment from the yahoo group as it's low on traffic. there's a lot of other ways of networking apart from the web. from one 'old 'timer' (if he doesn't mind me saying it), i scored a nice F7 shell and an FA or two, so there is stuff about 'under the radar'.

so maybe things are good ... but i don't know is the short answer.
scaro

Postby ctxmf74 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:08 pm

ConducTTor wrote:I'm curious what the "old timers" think. The guys that have been scratch building for years. The Yahoo group members. I know only a few of them frequent this site but I'm wondering what their general sentiment is?

I'm relatively new to TT but I've been modeling in other scales for a long time.
The new stuff from TTNut and A&D is a lot of progress in a short time but since TT was neglected for so long by the model railroad industry there is still a long way to go before US prototype layouts become easy to build. The shortage of details and parts such as autos and trucks make it much more difficult to model certain scenes than it is in other scales.
I'm hoping the ball keeps rolling and gains some speed cause the size is so perfect. ...dave
ctxmf74

Postby richardedmonds » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:12 pm

I'm curious what the "old timers" think. The guys that have been scratch building for years. The Yahoo group members. I know only a few of them frequent this site but I'm wondering what their general sentiment is?

To be honest Alex I would consider myself an old timer, in as much as I have been around American TT for a number of years now. I would think that the majority of us in the older groups such as TT_IMS and the old TTSMR are predominately HP collectors that do a bit of alteration as to really being from the bottom up scratchbuilders. This is why I like this site so much, the younger guys such as yourself have the drive that I think most of us older fellows don't have. Sure I want to do great things but I fear that the drive to do them is not as great as it used to be. Probably an age related thing I suppose, I don't really want to be in the yard trying to melt brass again if I am honest, but sitting down building one of your shapeways three piece kits is right up my alley. Don't get me wrong here, there are some great scratchbuilders in the old timer category but the majority I think now prefer the easier ride. Big problem I think is technology itself, us old gits have real trouble learning things like cad which means we still end up chopping card and styrene for models on a personal basis and not like you have done which is as a group basis.
I do know for a fact that some of the older chaps never beleived you could knock out so many kits in a matter of weeks even if the surface is not quite as good as we would like. But honestly with age and failing eyes does it really matter that much. This old git is extreemy gratefull to all you younger guys and techno drawers that continue to wet or appetites with these super drawings that keep us high in anticipation
richardedmonds

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:16 pm

richardedmonds wrote:I don't really want to be in the yard trying to melt brass again if I am honest

Holy crap! :lol:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby richardedmonds » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:41 pm

Holy crap! :lol:[/quote]
Am going out right now but will write back tomorrow on that as it is a comical but true story
richardedmonds

Postby Arseny » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:59 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:The shortage of details and parts such as autos and trucks make it much more difficult to model certain scenes than it is in other scales.

I think it is not the unsolvable problem.
If you like 1940s-1950s era, you can use Mini-Things models. I like their Ford Woody and 1956 Ford pickup, and also Chevrolet and De Soto.

+ some european cars like Volkswagen Transporter and Volkswagen Beetle.

And also you can try some Russian trucks of 1950s. Some of them looks like American International or Federal or GMC trucks, am I right?

And if you prefer modern era, you can use modern european cars - it's globalization! ;)
Like Mercedes and BMW, and also Volkswagen...
And also Bruder mini 1:128 trucks.
Arseny

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion