Current State of TT in North America

Re: Current State of TT in the USA

Postby taiwest » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:33 am

A possible way to set up shop could be through etsy.com. If I recall correctly, it is free.
[edit] Sorry, I just double checked. There is a listing fee of .20 per item. Doesn't seem so good. Perhaps an ebay store and paypal?
taiwest

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:52 am

taiwest wrote:A possible way to set up shop could be through etsy.com. If I recall correctly, it is free.
[edit] Sorry, I just double checked. There is a listing fee of .20 per item. Doesn't seem so good. Perhaps an ebay store and paypal?

Good ideas. My thinking is a bit more "narrow minded" though. After a year and a half of running this website, I've come to really hate one thing in particular. Having to search through posts for some random link to some product. It's a pain in the Haggis and extremely hard to remember what's available.

I want one single place where I can go and browse through all the parts / products available for NA tt scale.

That's actually a huge reason why I don't purchase those products as much as I would. Cause it's a Haggis pain in the Haggis.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:37 pm

ConducTTor wrote:I want one single place where I can go and browse through all the parts / products available for NA tt scale.

There's a place called TTscale online or tt.com or something like that linked to the yahoo TT group. It is supposed to be a manufacturers site but most of them are out of business or on long vacations so it's hard to buy anything but the idea is good.
Why not just create a section here for folks with product to sell to list their stuff and how to buy it, just like you do for the TTnut cars? I think most of the modelers who would be interested are members of this site or the yahoo group so a link on the yahoo group to this site should capture almost all the traffic....dave
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:39 pm

ctxmf74 wrote: There's a place called TTscale online or tt.com.....It is supposed to be a manufacturers site but most of them are out of business or on long vacations so it's hard to buy anything

Exactly. Also you have to phone people, snail mail them, email them, fill out PDFs, etc, etc.
Just too much work.

ctxmf74 wrote: Why not just create a section here for folks with product to sell to list their stuff and how to buy it, just like you do for the TTnut cars?

There are two sections already. One is the links section the other is the Buy / Sell.

ctxmf74 wrote:I think most of the modelers who would be interested are members of this site or the yahoo group so a link on the yahoo group to this site should capture almost all the traffic....dave

The point I'm trying to make is the following: I won't be retiring anytime soon so I don't have the time to go through the above mentioned hurdles. I want to go to a web page, pick a product, fill out shipping details, make a payment and be done with it. At Shapeways that can be done because they have an extremely unique business model. I want to be able to do that for any and all tt products. What I'm saying is, I'll set that up for whoever wants to produce stuff. And since it will all be in one place, it's a one stop shop. How nice would it be to just go to one place, order a few GoldCoast box cars, some decals and etched parts for some project you're working on and be done with?

It will also make it easier for others to get into the scale - most people don't want to deal with the hurdles that WE are ok with just to run some trains.

All those guys that say "there is no tt product or I would do it" - we just point them to one place and say "go".
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:54 pm

ConducTTor wrote: I'll set that up for whoever wants to produce stuff. And since it will all be in one place, it's a one stop shop. How nice would it be to just go to one place, order a few GoldCoast box cars, some decals and etched parts for some project you're working on and be done with?

It would be great but even if you have the site you still have to get the manufactures to sign up and put their products on it. Right now if I had a product to sell I think I could just list it here with a paypal link or on ebay and sell out my inventory so functionally a new site might not be necessary but it would be nice....dave
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:05 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:
ConducTTor wrote: I'll set that up for whoever wants to produce stuff. And since it will all be in one place, it's a one stop shop. How nice would it be to just go to one place, order a few GoldCoast box cars, some decals and etched parts for some project you're working on and be done with?

It would be great but even if you have the site you still have to get the manufactures to sign up and put their products on it. Right now if I had a product to sell I think I could just list it here with a paypal link or on ebay and sell out my inventory so functionally a new site might not be necessary but it would be nice....dave

Well, the manufacturers are not really of my concern - they don't do NA models and we all know where to go get their products. The only one that matters is Gold Coast and we can add them as well if they like.

I'm mainly concerned with you guys getting parts or models done that we need - and offering you a place to display and sell them. Basically facilitating the order and payment process. Secondarily, anybody who already makes NA proto stuff can take advantage as well.

As I said before, there have been numerous posts about where one can find some etching or some particular wheel size, or some decal or whatever. I can't keep track of them (and I know this site like the back of my hand). I want everything in one place.

How can we attract more people to the scale if they have to read a "manual" on where to order stuff? Or by asking them to go through 5 different websites so they can get the stuff needed for one single model?
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:30 pm

ConducTTor wrote:I'm mainly concerned with you guys getting parts or models done that we need - and offering you a place to display and sell them. Basically facilitating the order and payment process. Secondarily, anybody who already makes NA proto stuff can take advantage as well.

So will this be a new commercial sellers section of this site or a separate website? Either way would work fine for me. As long as the sellers offer paypal they won't really need any fancy shopping cart site, all we need to know is who has what and how much to send them for it. Maybe you could put up feature photos of their products around this site as incentive to get the product producers to sign up on the sellers section? ...dave
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:39 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:So will this be a new commercial sellers section of this site or a separate website?

It would be a new section (that doesn't look like a forum) on this website. Since I'm already paying for it there is no sense in paying for another one.

ctxmf74 wrote: As long as the sellers offer paypal they won't really need any fancy shopping cart site, all we need to know is
who has what and how much to send them for it.

That's my general idea.

ctxmf74 wrote:Maybe you could put up feature photos of their products around this site as incentive to get the product producers to sign up on the sellers section? ...dave

Well, they don't have to sell their stuff here. But I think it would be in their best interests. I'm basically giving them a store front for free. It would be nice if more people joined for all of the reasons mentioned before.

Hmmmmmmmmm :think:

Now that I think about it, I've offered free advertising banners from the day I started this site and no one has taken me up on the offer.

So maybe I'm beating a dead horse with this idea as well.

I guess I'll wait until at least several people say "yes, do it!" before spending any more time or thought on it.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:54 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Now that I think about it, I've offered free advertising banners from the day I started this site and no one has taken me up on the offer.So maybe I'm beating a dead horse with this idea as well.
I guess I'll wait until at least several people say "yes, do it!" before spending any more time or thought on it

If it just takes a new section here I'd say go ahead and set it up and see who has product to offer. Some guys might commission detail parts, decals or brass etchings and could use a place to sell the excess. As long as you control the access for sellers there shouldn't be too much trouble once it is set up? ...dave
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:02 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:Now that I think about it, I've offered free advertising banners from the day I started this site and no one has taken me up on the offer.So maybe I'm beating a dead horse with this idea as well.
I guess I'll wait until at least several people say "yes, do it!" before spending any more time or thought on it

If it just takes a new section here I'd say go ahead and set it up and see who has product to offer. Some guys might commission detail parts, decals or brass etchings and could use a place to sell the excess. As long as you control the access for sellers there shouldn't be too much trouble once it is set up? ...dave

Well, it is just a new section but there's a good bit of work that needs to go into it (that would be the case regardless of whether it's on this site or a new one).

So before putting in the work, I'll wait until someone asks for it. But - the offer is there if you guys want it.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion