Current State of TT in North America

Re: Current State of TT in the USA

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:12 pm

It obviously has to start small. I doubt anyone has the budget to launch a significant advertising/promotional campaign. Part of the reason I set up this forum is to attempt to gather the US TTers and create a true community. I think that with a decently sized small community, manufacturers can start producing and selling small batches. If Europeans/Russians were also interested in US prototype trains it would make a much better business case for a manufacturer to take that all important first step. Developing the following in the US and having US prototypes go hand in hand, you can't have one without the other.

I'm actually very surprised and disappointed in a certain US 'manufacturer' who currently has TT US rolling stock. I've invited them to the forum and given them the opportunity to advertise for free at the top of the page (where the black loco currently is). I know where they are based and I follow the sources of traffic to this site very closely. They have not bothered to contact me and are not even visiting the site. I mean, I'm giving away free advertising and they don't care. That's why someone new has to start tt in the states. Because the existing entities apparently don't care.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:10 pm

I will buy steam locomotive and wagons of 1930-1950s. It is interesting for me.
Maybe, Big Boy or Union Pacific Challenger?

Also, I think, some models of CARS (not wagons, but automobiles) would be interesting for Russians. Such models as Ford-A, Ford-AA truck, Ford Model 40 (1934), Studebaker US6, Autocar 5S, Willys MB, Dodge T214 (WC51 ... WC61, WC64) - were very popular in Russia in 1930-1950s.
Arseny

Postby areibel » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:25 pm

TT's problem is it's stuck in the middle- There aren't many people interested because there's not much available. But no big manufacturer will make anything because there aren't enough people in TT.
I have a very good friend who is a designer at a company that makes plastic injection molds. They have done work for Micro Trains and several other model manufacturers. He estimates the cost for all the tooling (molds) for an HO locomotive to be around $250,000. That doesn't include actually producing the parts, adding the motor and wheels, assembly, etc. That's not bad if you're Athern and you're going to make 10,000 copies- your production costs are only $25 per unit. Make the parts, put it together, paint it- add another $50 or $60 (from China). But no manufacturer will make 10,00 of anything in TT (yet!).
And even the TT that has been produced doesn't go well in the US market. I bought a Tillig FP7 when they were produced (2004?). I had to order it from a shop in Germany, I couldn't find anyone in the US that handled them. The price was almost $350 -almost $90 shipping via Fed Ex so say the loco cost $250.. It's a shame, they were very nice models but why would a US modeler get into TT when he can buy three or four HO or N scale locos for the same price?
There is a group that's trying to get started. There is a TT Scale Society that is getting organized with the purpose of getting a US diesel produced as our first project- a GP38-2. We are just getting organized, but we already have a small manufacturer that will make a master for making resin shells, along with etched metal details. I will post more information here when the time comes, but things are looking better!
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:14 am

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:52 am

BTW, for those of you who don't know what the geep 38-2 looks like, here's a couple of pics:

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby 1 tt guy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:01 pm

Heres what I would LOVE to have as a model. Its an EMD DD40X. This thing is an absolute BEAST. It's basically two locomotives in one - it has two prime movers each driving one of the 4 axle trucks. 6600 hp !!!!!!
1 tt guy

Postby member13 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:34 pm

Let's see that thing handle a turning radius of 286mm :lol: :lol:
member13

Postby areibel » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:18 pm

IF you really want to hear something crazy, there actually WAS a TT scale DD35 (almost the same as the DD40X). Gandy Dancer made a cast metal kit that was unpowered, but some enterprising TT'ers have motorized them. One of the Iris Creek group has one that's beautiful. They're not easy to find, but they're out there!
areibel

Postby 1 tt guy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:03 pm

Well, I see ebay prices on anything of interest to TTers will be going up. As they say, 'happy bidding' :mrgreen:
1 tt guy

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:47 pm

When I first started out with TT scale, it was with a small box full of Tri-Ang cars and a pair of locomotives.

I decided to span off into German and Russian trains. As I already have N, HO, S, O, G, Standard, and 8 3/4" (ride on type), I reasoned that I did not need to try to span off into American TT until I got my hands on a few old HP locos.

My present plan is to make a 3 "module" layout for TT. One big module for the US items, a small one to represent the UK, finally one to represent continental Europe.

I would love to see more US type TT scale products, however, I am liking scratch building locos and cars for my TT scale collection.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion