Current projects

Current projects

Postby Marquette » Thu May 08, 2014 1:52 pm

So a new thread for my current projects, since I have no clue where the previous ones are and can't really be bothered to search, since those aren't relevant anymore to my specific modelling.

For background/general theme, the setting I've finally settled on is the triangular area in southern Ohio which has as its points Dayton, Columbus and Cincinnati, in late summer of 1952.

More specifically, within that triangle as a central point of focus is the town of Xenia, where the Pennsylvania RR and the Baltimore & Ohio met, and where the Detroit, Toledo & Ironton was a scheduled visitor.

For the Pennsy, this was a spot of some importance. It was on the southern east-west mainline that ran St. Louis - Indianapolis - Dayton - Columbus - Pittsburgh, and at Xenia, this main split off to cover the short distance to Cincinnati. Further, there was a short but important branch from Xenia to Springfield, where Colliers Publishing printed the famous Colliers Magazine. Shipments of the magazine to the Midwest and the western US left the plant on the Pennsy on Fridays in mail storage cars and baggage cars on the daily sleeper-equipped Springfield-Xenia-Dayton-Chicago train (magazines for the eastern US were shipped via the New York Central, who also served the plant). At Xenia the Pennsy had a small engine servicing area with a turntable, a scale house and other such things, and there were regular high-end passenger trains running from the east via Xenia to Cincinnati, Indianapolis and St. Louis. So it's a great spot - typical branch-line freight work on the Springfield branch along with the glamour of famous Pennsy name-trains as well as mainline freight action. Still some steam present, but mostly diesel - and almost entirely EMD-free (which IMO is a wonderful thing! Lots of Alco and Baldwin and FM power here!). And, too, there was street running - the Springfield branch ran down Detroit Street in Xenia.

The B&O had an important secondary main in the form of the Wellston Subdivision, which ran from Dayton to Wellston, Ohio via Xenia, Washington Court House and Chillicothe. By 1952 it was freight-only, with two scheduled trains and frequent extras, including the ore train. Power here was mostly covered wagons (primarily F3s but also F7s, and I understand FAs occasionally turned up, too), with occasional steam operation, too. The B&O, too, had some street running in Xenia along Charles Street in the western part of town, on the way to Dayton.

The DT&I mainline ran from Detroit to Ironton, Ohio, via Lima, Springfield, South Charleston and Washington Court House, connecting with the Pennsy at Springfield and South Charleston. It operated a pair of trains between Detroit and Cincinnati (trains DC-8 and DC-9, the "Auto Parts Special"), and for this service the DT&I had running rights over Pennsy trackage. From the mid-1950s on, the DT&I went on its own tracks to South Charleston, then turning onto the Pennsy mainline there for the run through Xenia to Cincinnati, but at my time of interest, 1952, these trains switched off DT&I rails to Pennsy track at Springfield. The DT&I crews got off at Springfield to be replaced by PRR crews, but the DT&I engine - in 1952 usually a big bright orange GP7 - stayed on the train. Interestingly, though, the DT&I caboose was swapped off at Springfield to be replaced by a PRR cabin car for the trip to Cincinnati.

So much for the background... just thought I'd give a bit of description to give a setting for my modelling projects here!

The engine yard area at Xenia had a coal trestle for refuelling steamers. I've mentioned this structure before. I haven't had much luck finding photos of it, but I do have three or four to give me an idea, and I decided to use those as a guide, whilst referencing photos of similar structures, along with Pennsy standard diagrams, to help me in building the model.

Here is the PRR standard drawing (mine is, of course, bigger on paper):

100_0818.JPG

I made a jig...

100_0824.JPG

...to help me build the bents:

100_0819.JPG

I need to make two more bents like this, with the cross braces; the ones without cross bracing are for where the hoppers are through which coal is unloaded from a hopper car into steam locomotive tenders.

I'm using Grandt Line nut-bolt-washer castings:

100_0820.JPG

Beginnings of the track stringers:

100_0823.JPG

This project is still ongoing, of course, but relegated to the back-burner at least for now due to recent discoveries that make me not sure as to when the trestle was torn down - I had thought it lasted until 1955 when the old combination depot-hotel was torn down, but I've since spotted a photo where the old depot was still standing but the trestle was gone. So until such time as I learn that the trestle was indeed still standing in 1952 I will work on this only periodically as my fancy strikes... and if I learn that it was removed before 1952, I will finish only the "level" part where the unloading happened, to serve as an interesting photo-pedestal for hopper car models... but of course that will be a low priority.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Re: Current projects

Postby Marquette » Thu May 08, 2014 2:16 pm

And the current state of my first B&O N-17 class hopper, using Bill's kit:

100_0793.JPG

100_0797.JPG

100_0807.JPG

I need to fill the gaps where I put in the little triangular inserts, need to build some more ladders (the N-17s had ladders at both ends of the side, not just one), and install all the drop grabs - Cal-Scale #190-509 HO scale drop grab irons work out to be almost perfect in width for these, so that's what I'll use.

I'm also experimenting with adapting Grandt Line HOn3 Andrews trucks to TT - they scale out perfectly in length between journals. If that's a successful experiment I will use those; it it does not succeed they will, at least temporarily, roll on GC trucks until I can solve the Andrews truck problem.
Marquette

Postby Shipsure » Thu May 08, 2014 6:29 pm

We (micro trains) make both archbar and Bettendorf HON3 trucks with wheels and I just put them over a gondola drawing I have at TT scale and they are almost a dead match. wheels look to be pretty close too. What is the difference between the distance between rails of TT and HOn3?

JOe
Shipsure

Postby Shipsure » Thu May 08, 2014 6:42 pm

Just did some measuring and our HON3 wheels measure out to 36" dia...so for modern stuff, 100 ton and a bunch of gons, you can use those. The side frames I designed plug into the bolster with a long pin that can be pulled out, a small .015 shim made to look like a washer inserted, re fit the sideframes and you have the right sideframe spacing, the truck side frames look really good (for 70 ton models) I think I just solved my truck problem :) Considering how much easier it is to get HON3 just about anything for motive power, I'm surprised no one has gone the way of G scale and compromising on track width..going a bit wider with wheel spacing. Just thinking.
Shipsure

Postby j p » Thu May 08, 2014 7:09 pm

Shipsure wrote:... I'm surprised no one has gone the way of G scale and compromising on track width..going a bit wider with wheel spacing.

How to put it politely? I am surprised that you think that 'no one has gone the way' without ever asking about it...
I am afraid that your impression is incorrect because many H0n3 (brass) trucks have been regauged to TT, even entire H0n3 engines were modified to TT (incl. regauging, of course). 2 of those engine "projects" are waiting for me :)
What is really missing is archbar truck. The H0n3 archbar truck I have is not correct for TT even after regauging. Maybe you have some different trucks available?
See pm.
j p

Postby milwrd1 » Fri May 09, 2014 4:40 pm

Shipsure wrote:We (micro trains) make both archbar and Bettendorf HON3 trucks with wheels and I just put them over a gondola drawing I have at TT scale and they are almost a dead match. wheels look to be pretty close too. What is the difference between the distance between rails of TT and HOn3?

JOe

Track gauge, per NMRA standard S-1.2 (minimum values):

HOn3 = 0.413 inches
TT = 0.470 inches

Difference is 0.057 inches.
milwrd1

Postby scaro » Fri May 09, 2014 7:10 pm

1.5mm gauge difference.

If MT do a 4' wheelbase truck, either cast or archbar, it ought to be correct for a TT 'standard gauge' 5'6" wheelbase truck. 14mm wheelbase.

However ... I thought MT archbars were like Blackstone's ; that is a 3'7" wheelbase D&RGW style truck ? Or so I was told. I don't own a pair to run the calipers over.
scaro

Postby scaro » Sat May 10, 2014 5:20 am

I fished out a pair of the Blackstone 3'7" archbars and they do not really look much like standard gauge ones. They have too little taper from the centre of the truck frame to the journals, particularly the top bar which is almost flat. they are also a bit short; 5' in TT when they should be 5'6".

similar trucks were sold for years as TT trucks, I've got a few pairs, and are still available as white metal castings, but they don't look fantastic for TT, IMHO.

not sure how the MT ones compare in length and appearance, that's the issue.
scaro

Postby Marquette » Sat May 10, 2014 9:02 am

Well, happily, my need for archbar trucks is extremely minimal... maybe a pair under a B&O wooden caboose, and under a snowplow I want to build eventually.

I have a pair of the Peresvet archbars, they're just under 6' from centre of one journal box to the other, so they are a bit long... but under the snowplow that wouldn't matter at all because the only way you'd see the truck is through an open access door or with the car upside down. Not sure how that extra 6" will look under the B&O class I-5 caboose since those are pretty short cars, if they don't look good I'll use some other trucks.

But for the most part, archbars are irrelevant to me.

As for regauging... I'm not super keen on it. If this experiment with the Grandt Line HOn3 Andrews trucks works out, really that'll still only be an acceptable stand-in until proper TT scale standard gauge Andrews trucks are made available, because although the HOn3 ones are the correct 5'6" between journals they are overall a bit too skinny in appearance. But if it does work I will use this as a stand-in because if you're modelling the 50s or before the Andrews is a truck type that is very frequently seen...
Marquette

Postby Marquette » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:55 am

Started working on an SP SW8 with dynamic brake... got the sloped area rebuilt to a straight area for where the fan goes:

The third photo... I haven't glued that fan in place, that's an N-scale 48" fan representing a TT 36" fan... need to figure out if that looks right or if I should go for an HO 36" fan (which'd be 49" in TT)... but I think this is right. I'll look again at the pictures tomorrow and decide then. But I think this looks right.
Marquette

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models