Craftsman-Kits 1890's Combine Car

Craftsman-Kits 1890's Combine Car

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:59 pm

Craftsman-Kits are a very involved line of wooden TT scale kits. The company was based out of Hackensack, New Jersey.

The majority of the parts are die cut sections of wood, with some sections having been shaped with a router. There is plenty of detail to the kit, and has a number of small metal detail parts such as the end vestibules and brake rigging.

The instructions are rather lengthy, as the kit is unfinished, even by TT scale kit standards. Couplers and trucks are NOT included with these kits.

The nice part about the instructions, is that the plans for the cars, are the same size as the cars themselves, so it is easy to match up the car to the drawings to see if everything is in the right place. (The other nice part is that it makes it easier to fabricate cars of the same type. (1800's cars are a novelty in pretty much every gauge and scale)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Based on the degree of difficult of the kit, pre-planning for several days is recommended (as well as not taking any medications that alter one's state of mind & vision...)
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: Craftsman-Kits 1890's Combine Car

Postby D Martin » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:50 pm

I am quite sure Craftsman (the business) moved to Hungry Horse, Montana. They had a large inventory of many suppliers of model railroad equipment. Later they closed, and the some of the TT inventory may have passed through the hands of several TT companies. A few years ago, I noticed HP Products TT scale rail for sale on Ebay from a person in Kalispell, Montana which is not far from Hungry Horse. I bought several rolls of the rail, and it is the real HP stuff!! I have some documentation on Craftsman Kits company, and if any one is interested, I can dig through my records and find some items of interest. I also have several of Craftsman's passenger car kits. I believe they had some castings done by the Tomalco firm, but I cannot document that at present.

D. Martin in West Tennessee
D Martin

Postby Bernd » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:54 am

The Crafstman Kits look similar to the LaBella Wood Working kits.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby oldtrainguy » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:07 pm

I remember visiting a hobby store in Hungry Horse Montana many MANY years ago. Mid to late 70's maybe.
Don
oldtrainguy

Postby taoskid » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:45 pm

I tried ordering that kit from an ad in Model Railroader in 1973. They never answered me. It was the address in Hungry Horse Montana.
taoskid

Postby Sventton » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:38 am

I'm sure that a few folks recall that the son of the original owner inherited the goods from that shop, probably about 2004 or so....he sold the remaining inventory on Ebay, along with a book of TT documentation/catalogues that he had put together. Also some paper car sides I believe. He was briefly on the TT yahoo group. John
Sventton

Return to Craftsman-Kits TT Scale Models