CPR Dominion Stock Car

This sub forum is meant to be a model library. Feel free to add any information / pictures and your own reviews on models. If a topic on your model already exists, please add to it. Otherwise, start a new one.

CPR Dominion Stock Car

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:17 pm

One you have a Dominion Box-Car model it is easy to produce a stock car.

Like the prototype you remove alternate boards from the sides, leaving a solid top and bottom.
20130920dominionstockcar.jpg

These looked like they were painted brown with white lower sides but actually they were all brown.
The white lower sides were whitewash. After every use they were cleaned out and then washed with lime to disinfect the cars thus you ended up with the lower side being white or off-white.

When the stock rush was off, stock cars carried many other loads. They carried ties for the railroad, no worries about the creosote harming the car. Crated goods, lumber, whatever needed a bit of protection but didn't need a box car.
In fruit season in the Okanagan area of BC, they were cleaned out, a layer of sand put in them and they carried Zucca melons. Zucca was processed, cut into cubes, and coloured. It was baked into Christmas cakes and other goods. Those little coloured bit of melon were most likely Zucca.

Like the Dominion box car it is a one piece body with separate roof.
It needs a brake wheel and staff, trucks, couplers, paint and decals.

This is project 5 and the cars cost $ 25.00 each.

There is no project 6 yet but I am hinting to my caster about a car that I would like to see.

There is a project 7 but I am sitting on information about that until I am sure we have a good product to announce. I am aiming for Trains 2013 in November for a release date.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Re: CPR Dominion Stock Car

Postby Bill Dixon » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:15 am

Been painting my test car up as CPR. Working on the white sides. Trying to get a good off white.
Need to make decals for this model.
Will post a picture when I have some results.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Re: CPR Dominion Stock Car

Postby Bill Dixon » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:05 am

Well I painted my model - incorrectly.
20131001stockcar.jpg
the white on the door is supposed to stop at the cross bar in the middle of the door. Not too hard to fix.

Working on decals. They a re not too complicated on this car.
The top left panel has the reporting marks and road number.
The next two panels the dimensional data.
On some cars the top right two panels have the road name split across the side brace.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Return to TT Scale Models