CPR Dominion Car

This sub forum is meant to be a model library. Feel free to add any information / pictures and your own reviews on models. If a topic on your model already exists, please add to it. Otherwise, start a new one.

Re: CPR Dominion Car

Postby Arseny » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:28 am

Hm, I would like to have SOO Line version, for my SOO locomotive(s)
Arseny

Postby scaro » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:21 am

I think Dennis said that all you need to do for the SOO car is to replace the door with a top supported wood door. That would be sufficiently generic to blend in I think. The BAR also rostered hundreds in 1955, but theirs had pressed steel ends.
scaro

Postby Bill Dixon » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:50 am

Painted my one model in CPR brown. Working on decals.
20131001dominioncar.jpg

Did discover to my distress that as someone already noticed the whole car is bowed up in the center.
I will take it apart and see if I can fix it.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby scaro » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:37 am

scaro wrote:As for NYS&W and Erie, while they may have been on the roster, I doubt the NYS&W ones at least were used much and wonder if they made it into the 50s. NYS&W was in a modernising phase then - it had been cut loose from the Erie and was kitting itself out with steel boxcars, corrugated coaches, RDCs and diesels; a brief window of sunshsine that ended in the downturn of 1957-58. But hand-me-downs from the Erie were purged from Susie-Q's roster at a rate of knots.

Correction. It's emerged courtesy of Ray Breyer's research that the NYS&W 36' Fowlers were not only on the roster as late as 1959, but were in use, and in fact replaced modern PS1 boxcars in one key role, as REA cars on Susquehanna passenger trains.

How many RRs not only used 36' boxcars in that time, but used them in passenger service? Pretty unique I would think.

The reason was that the NYS&W, not coping well with the downturn of the late 50s, sold off its new PS1 boxcars for quick cash, mainly to the Monon, though one source indicates 8 went to the LNE. (NYS&W kept two.) Some of the PS1s had been allocated to the REA work; once they were gone, the Fowlers came back into use. I am hoping to find a picture.
scaro

Previous

Return to TT Scale Models