Couplings

Couplings

Postby ozman2009 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:35 pm

What coupling types are used in TT? What are the pros and cons of each type? Please bear in mind that I'm interested in models made by European makers. Thanks in advance....
Gary
Sydney, Australia
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout".
ozman2009

Re: Couplings

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:33 am

There are the Tillig couplings which are "close coupling". They work very well except when there is a difference in height between the two cars - they uncouple easily.
Kuehn recently introduced their own coupling - it's exactly the same as Tillig's but with an extra little piece that solves the height difference issue.
Roco is starting to use their own coupling for TT but I have no experience with it.
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:43 am

I prefer to use BTTB-style couplers, because Peresvet's Russian models have BTTB-style couplers and can not be changed.
But if you will use only European stuff, I recommend you to use Tillig's couplers.
Arseny

Postby ozman2009 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:59 am

Thanks guys. I get the impression that Tillig are the biggest maker of European trains, especially DR, in which case it'd make more sense to me to stay with the Tillig coupling.
Gary
Sydney, Australia
ozman2009

Postby j p » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:51 am

Kuehn couplers would be better for you. They are compatible with Tillig. The only difference is that Kuehn couplings are more reliable. I'd use a combination. New Tillig trains come with Tillig couplings, of course. The older Zeuke or BTTB trains would need new couplings.
I'd use Kuehn as a replacement coupling in case of problems between two cars with Tillig couplings. The Tillig couplings from those 2 cars could be used for Zeuke or BTTB.
j p

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:24 am

What he said ^^^
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby sd80mac » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:27 pm

I know some are using Micro Trains HOn3 couplers for some of their models of US prototypes, but has anyone considered the McHenry N-scale coupler as a suitable option?

Donnell
sd80mac

Postby ozman2009 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:36 pm

j p wrote:Kuehn couplers would be better for you. They are compatible with Tillig. The only difference is that Kuehn couplings are more reliable. I'd use a combination. New Tillig trains come with Tillig couplings, of course. The older Zeuke or BTTB trains would need new couplings.
I'd use Kuehn as a replacement coupling in case of problems between two cars with Tillig couplings. The Tillig couplings from those 2 cars could be used for Zeuke or BTTB.

How difficult is it to replace couplings?
Gary
Sydney, Australia
ozman2009

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:39 pm

ozman2009 wrote:How difficult is it to replace couplings?

On a scale of 1 - 10 about a zero. There are a few different coupling mountings depending on the age of a model - you just need to make sure to get the right one for it.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ozman2009 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:49 pm

Is this where 10 is the easiest? :wink:
Gary
Sydney, Australia
ozman2009

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models