23%
I love putting couplers together
31%
Gouging out my eyes may be better
46%

Total votes : 13

Coupler assembly

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:21 am

Putting together couplers for the SW1200. I'm sick of these damn couplers - along with every other coupler that requires assembly. There really needs to be something better. Curious what others' thoughts are.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: Coupler assembly

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:16 am

ConducTTor wrote:Putting together couplers for the SW1200. I'm sick of these damn couplers - along with every other coupler that requires assembly. There really needs to be something better. Curious what others' thoughts are.

I may be a glutton for punishment, but I have no real problem with putting together couplers. If you think the SW1200 couplers are bad, try changing out couplers on a T gauge Hankyu EMU.

Then again, I think I was the only one here to have kind words for the Tillig EW1 kits.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Marquette » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:25 am

I have about a dozen EW1 kits... want them?
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby areibel » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:00 am

ConducTTor wrote:Putting together couplers for the SW1200. I'm sick of these damn couplers - along with every other coupler that requires assembly. There really needs to be something better. Curious what others' thoughts are.

I like to use MT 1015/1025 couplers if I can. MicroTrains must take into account old guys with little patience and bad eyes, they offer them already assembled in the package! For the extra cost it's worth it to me, it sure beats crawling around on the floor looking for the springs I launched.
areibel

Postby railtwister » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:12 pm

I am not fond of the MTL1025's because the draft gear is to be "welded" together using a soldering pencil, plus they seem to require more pressure in order to "knuckle up". I prefer the couplers that have draft gear that snaps together, such as the more recent 1015's, they are easier to install when you don't need to worry about the coupler assembly exploding while you are trying to put the screw in. Many of the MTL couplers are available factory assembled for a higher price, and sometimes that's a bargain!

I used MTL #001 02 050 (2001) for my SW1200, and the height came out at an acceptable location. This coupler has an offset shank that mounts the knuckle at a higher location than those with centered shanks, I used the short shanks, rather than the long ones (both long & short shanks come in the package). My couplers were old stock and came with the old heat sealed boxes, so I not sure if the newer ones have snap together boxes or not. I rummaged around my parts box and came up with a pair of assembled 1015's that had snap together boxes, so I dis-assembled them and used their boxes with the 2001's. Expensive way to do it, but it worked.

If you can look before you buy, check out the assembled #001 02 052 (2004) to see if they have the short shanks and offset knuckles, it will save you some aggravation.

I recommend installing the MTB box with the shim between the box and the frame as a drilling guide for your pin vise, it will help in getting the hole centered in the frame. Drill slowly and clear the chips out often, checking the depth at the same time, to avoid breaking through the top of the end platforms. I used 00-90x3/16" screws, and the 00-90 tap & drills kit, both available from Micro-Trains.

Be patient, Grasshopper...

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby milwrd1 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:50 pm

I agree with the Sailor....coupler assembly isn't bad, one must be in the correct frame of mind to tackle the project. And, as Al has mentioned, one can certainly spend some time chasing the little spring :!: MT certainly anticipated this, since they supply extra springs with each coupler package. :thumbup:

I usually mass assemble couplers, 4 or so at a time with the TV on. The TV serves as a minor distraction, and it helps to look up every once in awhile, since the parts are small.

As I have aged, however, I will purchase the assembled versions of the MT couplers if available. My most recent assembly included the MT 2001 / 2004 for the MTB SW1200. As far as I know, assembled versions of these are not available from MT.

Railtwister makes another very valid point......I also like the snap together versions of the MT couplers, it eliminates the task of using the soldering pen to seal the coupler / draft gear box. It is one less thing to do, and it also allows disassembly of the coupler if required .
milwrd1

Postby MacG » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:34 pm

I have no problem with the assembling of the MTL coupler. At the SW1200 I have used the #1015 and some parts from MTB. So I have not drilled a new hole at the frame. I can make pics, if you want.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby areibel » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:10 pm

Please do!
I started filing the top of the coupler pocket, the casting looked a little rough but I haven't drilled the mounting holes (I'm too good at breaking drill bits, so I'm waiting on some new ones). But I would like to see how you did yours.
areibel

Postby railtwister » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:23 pm

MacG wrote:I have no problem with the assembling of the MTL coupler. At the SW1200 I have used the #1015 and some parts from MTB. So I have not drilled a new hole at the frame. I can make pics, if you want.

I found that the 1015 sat a bit too low on my loco, since the coupler has a centered shank, but the offset shank version was just about right! Of course, the metal arm required some re-bending to get it closer to the right height off the railhead, but this is only important if you plan to use uncoupling magnets between the rails.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby jmass » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:14 pm

I am staring at the instructions for the couplers and have no clue how there supposed to go together. other than that this is a great loco. Well done Mark!
jmass

Next

Return to General Discussion