Cork bedding?

Cork bedding?

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:18 am

Hey guys, I'm looking for something cheap to use as "bedding" in the staging area of my layout. I don't care what it is or how it looks - I just want something cheap that will keep the sound of moving trains to a minimum. I assume that would be cork. Where can I buy cork sheets? If you would suggest something else, what is it and where can it be purchased?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: Cork bedding?

Postby Zs12 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 am

Just look for packaged cork paving tiles in your local home-improvement market or you can take some kind of styrofoam plates. Both are cheap and easy cutable in matching piece/stripe sizes. But cork is more sturdy and better to handle, styrofoam is more suitable for scenery modeling.
Zs12

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:42 am

There is the material that Woodland Scenics makes for their roadbed rolls. You could cut down the HO scale roll as needed, and they do sell the same material in sheets that can be custom cut by the modeler.

I have used cork bedding and I have used the Woodland Scenics bedding, and I prefer the woodland Scenics bedding as it makes for quieter operation than cork does (plus the stuff does not dry out, become brittle, and break like cork does...).
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:36 pm

What do people use as cork under their track?

I know that "Itty Bitty Lines" makes 18" long cork pieces for TT scale at a high price. Do people use these?

What about N Scale cork roadbed? It may be a bit narrow but is certainly a much better price.

Regards
Bill Dixon
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby BTTB Fan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:52 pm

I have a bunch of cork placemats that IKEA used to sell. They are about 3mm thick. After they are all used up, I am considering cork rolls from flooring stores.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:07 pm

I looked around for bulk cork and the prices tended to stay consistent. I ended up ordering this: https://www.schooloutfitters.com/catalo ... id/PRO5751
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion