Converting Maisto toy trains to TT scale

Converting Maisto toy trains to TT scale

Postby maistto » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:42 pm

Has anyone ever tried to convert Maisto Toy trains (which are 1:131) to TT scale? Would the Tillig or whoever trucks (bogies) fit?
Maistto
maistto

Re: Converting Maisto toy trains to TT scale

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:46 pm

Moving this to the Prototypes / Models forum. It's likely to attract some more attention (and hopefully answers) there.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby jmass » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:12 pm

hello all, thats funny maistto, i was thinking the same thing myself. but after searching ebay for maisto trains, i came up with nothing for 1/131 scale. witch is slightly less than tt scale. its a shame because like s scale its a perfect size scale.
jmass

Postby areibel » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:03 pm

The Maisto trains won't work well for TT, they're much smaller and the way they're constructed would make it hard to convert. You might see some of them listed as powered, but they are powered by a battery in the loco. There's no control, you turn them on and let them go!
areibel

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:58 pm

As far as the conversion of locos to track power, that will take a little creativity - but then again, that is what this scale is all about - Creativity!

As far as the freight cars are concerned, they do not seem to be that much smaller than the HP products cars, and even then it is not that big of a difference between 1/20 and 1/131. I did not choose TT scale as one of my obsessions just to be a rivet counter, but to be creative and keep alive a badly neglected scale.

That and the fact that I was born about 60-100 years too late. I hate modern music, I prefer vinyl over CDs and MP3s, give me points and condensers over fuel injection any day of the week. I like looking at issues of Model Railroader from the 1950's and seeing the ads for HP products alongside those for Lionel, Marx, and American Flyer. I prefer older block control methods, and despise DCC. Give me Jimmie Rodgers and Johnny Cash over the crap that has been labeled as music from the last 2 decades.

I know, I am an oddity - a Navy Electronics Technician that prefers vacuum tubes over microprocessors.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby jmass » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:10 pm

not to bring up an old topic but i just found a dollar store that sells these cars. i bought two boxcars and one coalhopper. if anyone wants to convert these for tt you better have one damn strong engine in your collection as these cars are very heavy. i couldnt see even the strongest tt loco pulling more than five or six of these cars without a struggle.
jmass

Postby ctxmf74 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:19 pm

They are a bit small and quite heavy but they make an interesting looking freight car. Here's a plug door SL-SF boxcar, it works out to be about a 45 foot car in TT scale.....dave
http://pweb.netcom.com/~ctxm/maistofrisco5.jpg
ctxmf74

Postby jmass » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:23 pm

thanks for the picture dave. the cars are definately close enough in size to get away with, they just are to heavy. do you run these cars on a setup? joe
jmass

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:37 pm

jmass wrote:thanks for the picture dave. the cars are definately close enough in size to get away with, they just are to heavy. do you run these cars on a setup? joe

I have some actual TT scale cars that have been ballasted down so much that they are actually heavier than the Maisto cars. I am quite sure that some of the old solid cast TT scale hopper cars are heavier than the Maisto hopper cars, of which I have two of.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby BTTB Fan » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:56 pm

those would work great as track cleaner cars! ;)
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models