Converting Maisto toy trains to TT scale

Re: Converting Maisto toy trains to TT scale

Postby CSD » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:04 am

ctxmf74 wrote:Here's a Maisto hopper I did this week...

The added details and weathering looks really good. Nice work!
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby jmass » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:46 pm

what is the standard trucks and couplers used for these conversions. with this treasure of maisto cars at the dollar store i think its time to get my hands dirty. also whats the best way to get rid of the shinyass paint jobs. i was thinking soaking in 90 percent alchohol then sanding.
jmass

Postby ctxmf74 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:29 pm

jmass wrote:what is the standard trucks and couplers used for these conversions. also whats the best way to get rid of the shinyass paint jobs. i was thinking soaking in 90 percent alchohol then sanding.

I used possum valley resin trucks on mine but you could use Gold Coast trucks. I used Micro trains N scale couplers which are sized to look better in TT scale than they do in N scale :>)
A coat of flat clear paint plus weathering will kill that shine.
These little cars are pretty crude but they could be useful to fill out a train and they are strudy, I think one could play hockey with the cast iron boxcar without hurting it much. .....dave
ctxmf74

Postby Marquette » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:32 pm

What sort of metal is used? As in, how hard is it? I ask from thinking about how hard it would be to remove that cast-on block of ladder... I'm thinking that removing that and replacing it with a separate piece for the ladder would result in a pretty decent-looking car. Mostly that cast-on blob makes it look toyish to me.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby ctxmf74 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:21 pm

TTQuebec wrote:What sort of metal is used? As in, how hard is it? I ask from thinking about how hard it would be to remove that cast-on block of ladder...

Hi TT, It's some kind of cast ferrous metal , pretty hard to file by hand but easy to grind. I doubt it would be worth the trouble to grind off the ladders and replace them since it would probably damage the lettering , it would probably be easier to find a kemtron tank car and paint it. I look at these maisto cars as place holders till something better comes along, sorta like cardboard building mock ups we use on layouts to see how the scene will eventually look?.....dave
ctxmf74

Postby Marquette » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:41 pm

Well, I'd be repainting and relettering them anyways, so losing the existing paint isn't a loss. I figure these are easier to come by than the Kemtron tanks.

My thinking is that I could use these for the generic-black UTLX and CGTX cars which are the large majority; then, the more unique cars - in my case, PCLX, IOX, CSGX and a few others - I'd build based off dowel of appropriate diameter.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby ctxmf74 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:29 am

TTQuebec wrote:Well, I'd be repainting and relettering them anyways, so losing the existing paint isn't a loss.

In that case you could probably grind off the ladders and the cast on hand rails pretty easy, might be hard to get it smooth with a grinder but maybe you could file the final surface smooth? The only way to find out for sure is to try one :>) ........dave
ctxmf74

Postby Richard-B » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:27 am

Here is a photo of the Maisto tank mods... from a previous thread:

As I mentioned the Maisto white-metal is like Kryptonite....
Maisto_Tanks1.jpg
before/after some attention from the Dremel...

[i]edited 04 mar 2013[/i]
Last edited by Richard-B on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby ctxmf74 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:00 pm

Richard-B wrote:Here is a photo of the Maisto tank mods.

That came out quite well. What kind of cutting tool or grinding stone did you use? How long did it take?..........dave
ctxmf74

Postby Taxari » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:51 am

Just another Maisto tanker with some Microscale decals and russian trucks:
CIMG8357.JPG

CIMG8358.JPG

CIMG8359.JPG
Taxari

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models