Converting Maisto toy trains to TT scale

Re: Converting Maisto toy trains to TT scale

Postby Marquette » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:10 pm

Never complained but was curious why Lionel chose 1:120...
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:31 pm

jmass wrote:you know sailor, it makes me laugh that the folks at maisto and lionel for that matter did not think about the situation a little more. if maisto say produced there trains at say 1/125 or so they would of had a lot of tters snatching up there stuff. as for lionel if they produced more models the same would be true.maybe not to the point of makeing them rich but in maistos case i think it would be something.

I don't think Maisto really gives half a crap about modelers. When they introduced their graffiti painted cars, there was a backlash, and not just from train fans, either. I was told to "get with the times" when I set them a letter regarding my disgust with that series of cars. There was even an article in Classic Toy Trains with pretty much the same response gotten by the author of that article, condemning Maisto for their latest work.

The biggest problem with the graffiti cars series is that it spreads the completely retarded idea that graffiti somehow qualifies as art, and also furthers tolerance of such an act, especially with the "collector's" cards showing the defaced prototype car.

Graffiti and vandalism should not be rewarded with cards and models made of such evil work, but punished with a permanent revocation of voting rights and driving privileges for first time offenders, and second time offenders should be subject to public removal of their hands.

Strict and harsh, yes; but results can be assured. Look at Singapore, they are just as technologically advanced as the USA, and they have a far lower crime rate, as punishments are harsh, and serve as a better deterrence than probation ever will.

I came across the article in CTT last night, and that brought back all the issues I had with Maisto and the unpleasant e-mail my modeler's group in Charleston, SC got. It has been about 6 year now, and I am still pissed at Maisto.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Marquette » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:03 pm

Well, maybe it's just me, but I'd rather live with some tagging here and there over here, than to live in Singapore - freedom or cleanliness and enforced order, pick's easy for me (that is to say, I wouldn't trade the freedom for some clean walls!). :) And yeah, I think it is essential to distinguish between tagging and murals - I've seen some 'unauthorised' murals on what would be an otherwise ugly grey wall in an ugly grey area that totally livened up the area, broke up the monotony and were just, simply put, nice. Tagging, on the other hand, is just ego-driven idiocy probably the result of not getting a slap upside the head as kids when they drew on the wall at home.

But on topic: If Maisto had *any* consideration for modellers, they wouldn't have chosen such an idiotic number as 1:131. Even Lionel I don't think had much thought for TTers when they did their models. I suspect they wanted a nice size for a toy for kids that isn't TOO big as 1:87 would be. And I suspect 1:100 was considered. And I suspect someone inside Lionel was aware enough of the world to say "hey, if we do them in 1:120, we could get some extra sales from those lunatics who are still trying to stick with TT". Maisto, on the other hand, just couldn't be arsed and are probably just trying to seize on some "collector's market"... except that overall, their product is fairly rubbishy (trains or others).
Marquette

Postby ctxmf74 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:13 pm

TTQuebec wrote:Well, maybe it's just me, but I'd rather live with some tagging here and there over here, than to live in Singapore -
But on topic: If Maisto had *any* consideration for modellers, they wouldn't have chosen such an idiotic number as 1:131. just couldn't be arsed and are probably just trying to seize on some "collector's market"...

Like any public forum graffiti has some real art and lots of crap mixed in with it but it would be a dull train without the tagger's work. The thing I don't like about the maisto graffiti cars is they did a sucky job on them, the tags are not realistic at all.
Not sure why they woulda picked that 131 : 1 scale, is it used for anything else? Funny thing is that we always hear that no one can afford to tool up new TT items but somehow they find the money for this out of scale crap? ...........dave
ctxmf74

Postby Marquette » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:22 pm

Well as far as tagging goes, the only tagging you'll see on my trains is chalk marks! ;)
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:34 pm

ctxmf74 wrote: we always hear that no one can afford to tool up new TT items but somehow they find the money for this out of scale crap?

Amen.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby jmass » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:03 pm

damn good point!
jmass

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:30 pm

Here is a photo of my Lionel 1:120 GP9 Chessie engine, and a Maisto 1:131 Santa Fe GP 40.

The Maisto GP40 is about the same in most dimensions as the Lionel GP9.
The other diesel that Maisto made, a model of what I would guess is supposed to be a F-7, is a bit shorter than GP40, even in scale 1/131, I guess to match the short passenger cars that they made. I used to have one at one time, but it did not hold up to the abuse of a mentally retarded black and white cat named Lucifer.

Oddly enough, the wheelbase of the two match pretty damn close. I would not be surprised if the Tillig parts used in the PVM power kit would work with the Maisto engine. I may take a closer look when I get my PVM GP9 power chassis kit next month.

If anything, the Maisto engine could be used as a static model on a display, though those ugly X2F based couplers would have to go.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:57 pm

Here is a link to the All Gauge Page, a site that covers many, many scales, and was the primary source of my knowledge of TT until I got my hands on that first box of locomotives and cars.

The author does make a number of comparisons between the Maisto equipment and TT scale.
[url]
http://www.thortrains.net/kidstoys/dcastdex.html[/url]
AstroGoat760

Postby ctxmf74 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:30 pm

Here's a Maisto hopper I did this week along with last week's tank car which I added some tackboards and a road number to.. The hopper scales about 38 feet long so it's in the ballpark for believe-ability ...dave
ctxmf74

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models