Converting Maisto toy trains to TT scale

Re: Converting Maisto toy trains to TT scale

Postby gabbysuz » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:02 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote:As far as the conversion of locos to track power, that will take a little creativity - but then again, that is what this scale is all about - Creativity!

As far as the freight cars are concerned, they do not seem to be that much smaller than the HP products cars, and even then it is not that big of a difference between 1/20 and 1/131. I did not choose TT scale as one of my obsessions just to be a rivet counter, but to be creative and keep alive a badly neglected scale.

That and the fact that I was born about 60-100 years too late. I hate modern music, I prefer vinyl over CDs and MP3s, give me points and condensers over fuel injection any day of the week. I like looking at issues of Model Railroader from the 1950's and seeing the ads for HP products alongside those for Lionel, Marx, and American Flyer. I prefer older block control methods, and despise DCC. Give me Jimmie Rodgers and Johnny Cash over the crap that has been labeled as music from the last 2 decades.

I know, I am an oddity - a Navy Electronics Technician that prefers vacuum tubes over microprocessors.

Nice to know there is someone else out there ! Music for me is 70's and before, with few exceptions, I also prefer vinyl as well. I also enjoy reading the Model Railroad Craftsman issues from
the 50's for the ads of Lionel, and of course HP products ! Same goes for movies, like the good old Film Noirs from the 40-60's ! I always figured the best year to be born would be early 1900's , you could see all the evolution of everything before it got boring ! just like DCC, give me block control any day ! :D
gabbysuz

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:43 pm

gabbysuz wrote: Music for me is 70's and before, with few exceptions, I also prefer vinyl as well. I also enjoy reading the Model Railroad Craftsman issues from
the 50's for the ads of Lionel,

Haha, You are too young to be living in the past. Get out and make new history.
I grew up in the 50's and can tell you that they weren't that great. People were ignorant, life was less comfortable, and the cars handled like boats. The only things better were that the earth was less abused and less crowded....dave
ctxmf74

Postby gabbysuz » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:56 am

ctxmf74 wrote:
gabbysuz wrote: Music for me is 70's and before, with few exceptions, I also prefer vinyl as well. I also enjoy reading the Model Railroad Craftsman issues from
the 50's for the ads of Lionel,

Haha, You are too young to be living in the past. Get out and make new history.
I grew up in the 50's and can tell you that they weren't that great. People were ignorant, life was less comfortable, and the cars handled like boats. The only things better were that the earth was less abused and less crowded....dave

Less crowded is fine by me, and my car of choice at the moment is a 1966 Triumph TR4A with independent suspension, handles fine for me, and alot more fun to drive than computer
controlled cars of today. There will always be some ignorant people, in any era.

Back to the topic I should be receiving a couple Maisto tank cars soon, have never seen these toys in person, I suspect they will just be too undersized to look right.
gabbysuz

Postby Marquette » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:40 pm

I could dig the late 50s, early 60s... if I were in Boston at MIT working (read: playing) at TMRC and the comp lab!

Re the Maisto tank cars, IIRC someone provided some measurements of the tank and it certainly fell within dimensions one would find from proper 1:120 dimensions. I would though probably build an appropriate underframe for it, though.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby ctxmf74 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:55 am

gabbysuz wrote: I should be receiving a couple Maisto tank cars soon, have never seen these toys in person, I suspect they will just be too undersized to look right.

Hi Felix, The maisto tank cars are about the same size as an old kemtron brass tank car so they are in the ball park for size. The main problem with them is they have cast on ladders that are very crude. They come with nice paint jobs and do look good from a couple of feet away so with TT trucks and couplers added they could be useful as fill in cars till something better comes along , especially since they cost about as much as a set of decals......dave
ctxmf74

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:13 am

Here are some photos of a Maisto tanker, with a HP products tanker and a Joma brass tanker for comparison:
ImageImage

The reason that the bottom photo is blurry is the fact that I just learned that the camera has a close range setting.
Last edited by AstroGoat760 on Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ctxmf74 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:38 pm

Here's a Maisto tankcar I converted today. It has PVM trucks and N scale couplers. I think with some weathering it will be a useful runner....dave
ctxmf74

Postby jmass » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:51 am

has anyone tried to power one of these maisto locomotives? they are slightly shorter in lenght but the width im not shure of.seems like one of tilligs switcher/shunter chasis might fit there gp models. as i dont have one of there locos i cant really be sure, so just wondering if anyone else has tried. joe
jmass

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:33 am

I have a few of the Maisto engines. The steam engine is pretty well on par with the size of HP Product's 0-6-0 engines. Both of the diesels are undersized, even for the 1/131 scale that Maisto claimed they are. There are some battery powered Maisto locos, but re-gauging would be hard, not to mention the over-sized wheels used.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby jmass » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:50 am

you know sailor, it makes me laugh that the folks at maisto and lionel for that matter did not think about the situation a little more. if maisto say produced there trains at say 1/125 or so they would of had a lot of tters snatching up there stuff. as for lionel if they produced more models the same would be true.maybe not to the point of makeing them rich but in maistos case i think it would be something.
jmass

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models