Comparing Tillig Track

Comparing Tillig Track

Postby CSD » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:06 am

I have been reading the discussions about track during my time at Supertrain and decided I would take a look at what was available in other scales and on the layouts. Looking at Shinohara, Atlas, Walthers, Kato ,to name a few, I found the offerings pretty disappointing. One reads about all this wonderful track out there, but in actuality it is pretty un-prototypical. The hinged points (on all of them) is the thing that kills me the most. Of course, I compared it to what I know; Tillig track. Yes, Tillig track is "large", but I found it generally better looking that most everything I saw aside from hand laid. So, we are not so bad off, I think. It is nice track. Except for the EW1 which should never be used by anyone, ever.
Mark
//S
CSD

Re: Comparing Tillig Track

Postby Rich B » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:56 am

For me, the current best is TTfiligran: http://www.ttfiligran.de/

In H0, though Tillig is good looking for German track, I've found it wants for reliability, running qualities and ease of wiring for best practise next to Peco- I've had particular problems with tiebars breaking (in TT & H0) and stock sticking/derailing through a double slip (in H0). I like their point detailing packs though (formerly Erbert, now produced in-house).

In TT we have much more limited choice, though H0m track in offscene areas opens up a few more options. I've actually found a design fault in Peco H0m points that leaves them prone to shorting (there should be a break in the switch rail which is there on all other Peco electrofrog points), so for reliability there the choice is back to Tillig or Kühn. If only Kühn could bring out a choice of points, and in a timely manner!
Rich B

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:38 pm

Uhm yeah. My excitement for using N scale track for TT (to have lower code rail) has pretty much vanished since I recently realized that readily available N scale rail does not have the correct profile. Boo.

Points are problematic in any scale from any manufacturer especially hinged ones (total crap in my opinion). Filigran is awesome but pricey and not easily available in NA. Kuhn is better than tillig if they do larger radius points (non hinged) but as with Filigran are not easily available here. BTW, Kuhn's hinged points are a lot better than Tillig's.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:05 pm

I have some Micro Engineering Code 55 here on hand and the profile looks fine, the code 40 is the same. Thing being... you gotta lay it yourself.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:50 pm

The "lay it yourself" part doesn't concern me :) I'll have to dig into all their offerings......
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Return to Prototypes / Models