Collection

Collection

Postby krokodil » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:23 pm

Hi

My good old friend in Indiana suddenly passed away and everything what he collected since middle of 1950 is left over. His wife is now trying to sort out what is there. Over 500 RR books were already donated to a club where he was a member. There are over tenthousand of RR slides (~1955-1970 over 100 huge boxes) and a huge collection of H0n3, H0 and G scale trains, mostly in boxes and lot of magazines since 1950. There is no list, his wife is trying to sort out at least roughly the collection, she cannot make any list, but it will take a long time until the things are at least separated.
If anybody has an interest, please contact me over PM.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Re: Collection

Postby Richard-B » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:05 am

krokodil wrote:There is no list, his wife is trying to sort out at least roughly the collection, she cannot make any list, but it will take a long time until the things are at least separated.
This is most unfortunate.
All too often family members are the LEAST able to deal with a modeler's estate.

A list, or at least an 'outline' of every collection is a must, both for insurance and for dealing with an estate... and most family members have no idea of the wide range of values that either models or publications can have.

The local NMRA Division MAY be able to help with the cataloging process. BEWARE of the sharks who will try to buy for pennies on the dollar... or 'helpers' with sticky fingers.

Was his Wife aware that the 500 book donation was possibly a ~ $10,000 gift?
Is the club prepared to store and care for them?

So... Step 1:
Set everything out on the floor in boxes and take photos. This will at least start the cataloging process.

Best Wishes...
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Re: Collection

Postby krokodil » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:28 pm

Hi Richard

I am afraid your suggestions will not work very well. The collection is huge, probably a full size container. I am not involved so I cannot tell more details, but probably the size of the house is not enough to put everything on floor to take a picture. I will see what the widow can do ( i asked her to make some basic pictures and look dor some inventary list, maybe there is one).
I am sure the books are on right place. The club runs a very popular touristic train with a huge brand new depot with a space for a big library.

Ps. Can you please check your PM box?
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Return to General Discussion