Coal hopper molds

Re: Coal hopper molds

Postby j p » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:23 pm

It looks great! :clap:
just two suggestions:
1. when you make the optional road numbers, could you please underline them too? That would help a lot! Adding this tiny line separately is a pain. I have to use a magnifying glass for it and yet the allignment of it is still difficult for me.
2. small road numbers for the ends: could you make more space in between the road numbers for different cars? It is not easy to cut them out from the sheet if they are too close to the other ones.
j p

Postby Bill Dixon » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:55 am

I am going to redesign the sheet.
On the first pass I was more concerned about what I could get on a sheet than how it was laid out.

If I space the lettering properly it will be easier to position the road names on the car.
May loose a bit of flexibility in extra numbers but the ease of application will make up for that.

As well I am going to move some of my private road names off onto their own sheet.
With the dropping of two of the WM, my NV and NVL sets, that will make room for two more pairs of sets, perhaps N&W and one other.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:05 pm

As mentioned in another thread about Trains 2012, I had some of my hoppers there.
I have built a few more of the kits i have and am still working on some issues.
Need to write some instructions, etc.
20121109 Bills Stuff 3.jpg

When the masters were made the builder used .020" Styrene for the sides.
This means the sides are a bit thin when cast. They warp easily. All these cars are going to need a load or some type of internal brace.

They probably need more weight but the load should solve most of that problem or for empties you can add lead shot to the bottom of the bays.

I hope to have some dry transfers this week and post some finished pictures soon.
Don't know what the load will cost yet.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Arseny » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:58 pm

Nice! Please inform, when they will be available for order.

I wanted to use "coal" from Busch, I think it will be good to solve the problem of weight also. But what should I do to prevent the warp? Do you plan to add some braces, or should I make them by myself?
Arseny

Postby Bill Dixon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:32 am

Arseny wrote:Nice! Please inform, when they will be available for order.

I wanted to use "coal" from Busch, I think it will be good to solve the problem of weight also. But what should I do to prevent the warp? Do you plan to add some braces, or should I make them by myself?

I think a styrene brace inside the shell would solve the problem.

If it is going to be loaded, glue the load to the sides and use the load to straighten out the warped sides.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby hooryellver » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:48 pm

Looks good. This is a ca.1950 Pullman Standard PS-3 hopper.
hooryellver

Previous

Return to General Discussion