Coal hopper molds

Re: Coal hopper molds

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:25 am

First samples are back.

I have one assembled car, painted black, and a half dozen partially assembled cars and one dud.
Finished car beside kit.
20120923 New Hoppers.jpg

Kit contents.
20120923 Hopper Kit.jpg

Bottom view.
20120923 New Hopper Bottom View.jpg

They look pretty good but are not perfect. There is an issue with the bottom insert. Something went askew when casting the part. One bolster is angled. It needs to be sanded to the truck sits level. When the current mold wears out it wll be remade.

These kits came partially assembled for me but will probably come as flat kits.

There will be two sides, two ends, one bottom insert and two end frame bits.
You need to add; wire for grab irons, a brake wheel, trucks and couplers of choice, paint and decals.

You build the body box first from the sides and ends. Glue in the bottom insert then the two end frame bits.
Drill holes for trucks and couplers of choice.
The grab irons, pieces of wire, can be added before or after the body is built. You need a brake wheel. I will use the spare from my Gold Coast box cars.

You may want to paint the model before adding the end frame pieces but if you take care you can do it after they are glued in. Just a bit harder to get the paint on the bottom of the slope sheets.

Now I need time, to build the kits and find pictures to make the decals from.
Can anybody suggest a source of images for: Central RR of New Jersey, Delaware & Hudson, Lehigh Valley, Reading and Western Maryland hoppers?
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:01 am

Oh snap!
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby j p » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:52 am

It looks like Pennsy GLd hopper.
http://www.byz.org/~morven/Railway32/freight/hoppers/index.html
According to the linked www page, Pennsy had 300 of them.

j p

Postby Marquette » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:24 am

Here's what I have at quick glance:

CNJ 67450.jpg

D&H 44725.jpg

RDG 73413.jpg

WM 10800.jpg
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby scaro » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:28 am

i think your friend may have changed the design a bit, but probably in a good way, as i think this design is a lot more common than the fishbelly hopper that PVM did originally.

the fishbelly design was used typically in the NE on anthracite traffic, mostly. the one in the pics you've posted is i think the USRA design and was used all over north america. i hope marquette comments as he'll know more than i.

it is however slightly different to the PRR design -note the angled steel before the first vertical brace just above the wagon frame. the USRA design, which is i think the one your friend has done, has no angled steel there.

just to avoid confusion, this hopper ...g-f-33-ribside-2-bay-hopper-t1077.html ... in an earlier discussion is also referred to as a USRA twin hopper, but i am not sure ... it has nine panels instead of eight ?

ben
scaro

Postby j p » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:54 am

scaro wrote:i think your friend may have changed the design a bit, but probably in a good way, as i think this design is a lot more common than the fishbelly hopper that PVM did originally.

the fishbelly design was used typically in the NE on anthracite traffic, mostly. the one in the pics you've posted is i think the USRA design and was used all over north america. i hope marquette comments as he'll know more than i.

it is however slightly different to the PRR design -note the angled steel before the first vertical brace just above the wagon frame. the USRA design, which is i think the one your friend has done, has no angled steel there.

just to avoid confusion, this hopper ...g-f-33-ribside-2-bay-hopper-t1077.html ... in an earlier discussion is also referred to as a USRA twin hopper, but i am not sure ... it has nine panels instead of eight ?

ben

Adding the angled steel support is a question of 10 minutes.
I'd like to order 10 of them if the price is reasonable and if we can find a way how to get them to Denmark. Some for PRR and some for other paint schemes.
:clap:
j p

Postby scaro » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:52 am

seems there were 25,000 USRA 55 ton twin bay ribside hoppers, so it's definitely one to have ...
scaro

Postby Marquette » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:02 am

Now that you mention it, I think you're right... it's a USRA car (the model).

Of these, there is a myriad of lettering options...
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:13 am

Been working on paint schemes for this car.

I scanned the side of the model and then imported it at full size into CorelDraw. Then I built a framework on top of the image showing where the lettering could go.
2-Bay Hopper Scan and Layout.jpg

The upper image is the framework built over the scan.
The lower image is the framework by itself.
The two red triangles are gussets that are not on the model but are on most USRA cars. They can be easily added if needed for your model.

The two red squares are the location of an additional grab iron that is not present on some cars. If it is not needed for the model you are building it can be removed.

The scan of cars that I making the decal schemes from shows that the hoppers could use a bit more detail. On most cars there is some sort of L brace halfway down the hopper slope. This could be simulated with a strip of styrene. Also there should be some lock detail. A bit of styrene L shape will simulate this nicely.

Now on to the paint schemes.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:30 am

To make up a lettering diagram I need a good side shot of the car.
The first image I came across was the Tichy USRA Hopper car.
C&O 2-Bay Hopper.jpg

most of the lettering in the image was legible so i was able to recreate it.
I do not know the correct font for C&O so I chose the closest I had. The "&" is clearly not right.

The second scheme was for fun. I have a lot of Tyco operating hopper cars in HO and as it was close to this car I decided to recreate the Monon Car.
Monon 2-Bay Hopper.jpg

This car should really have a roof as it is supposed to be a cement car. If I actually make decals for this scheme I will make a roof. I am not sure if I can create the correct yellow/gold for the lettering.

The third cars is a CNJ car.
CNJ 2-Bay Hopper.jpg

The CNJ Logo is from the web somewhere.
I was not able to recreate all the lettering. Some of it was too small to decipher on the image I have.
There is a line above what I have rendered as the reweigh date.
I think the build date is to the left of the "HM" and there are four lines of text under the CNJ Logo that are undecipherable

The last scheme is not really applicable to this car as the prototype only had four rugs on the right hand ladder but it looked good.
WM 2-Bay Hopper.jpg

Once again some of the lettering was very small and may not have been rendered properly.

I will do more when the mood strikes.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion