Coal hopper molds

Re: Coal hopper molds

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:53 pm

The molds arrived last week. Yeah!

My friend the N-Scale caster came to the store on Saturday to look at them and try some casting.
Success! I now have one good set of castings to work with, less the ladders. Said he would cast a dozen sets for me by next weekend.

Today I received an email from him.
Upon reflection, and carefully looking over the castings the molds produced, I've decided to completely redo the hopper kit. I've made good progress today, but I'm rapidly coming to the point that I need to start working out the truck mounting, coupler height and all that complicated stuff. May I borrow:

A pair of trucks
Some couplers (what couplers do you use?)
A piece of track
Coupler height gauge.

The new kit will feature better detail and will have more open (but not completely empty) interior.


So a new car kit will come out of this. Looking forward to the results, he does good work in N-Scale.

He also indicated that it should be possible to do an offset side version of this as well. I am giving him a Kemtron kit to work with.

Interesting times.

Too many auctions on E-Bay right now. Some good stuff and some eager bidders as well.

I see a Rokal set of passenger cars that don't look right. After communication with the seller we have determined that the photos of the models are very poor. The cars are actually the proper UP yellow with red lettering and striping.
Wouldn't mind the F Units but way too rich for me right now.

Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:57 pm
Location: North Vancouver, B.C.

Re: Coal hopper molds

Postby scaro » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:12 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:I see a Rokal set of passenger cars that don't look right.



i'm only being half-facetious, but they aren't right. seriously i would think twice about using these as the basis for any sort of new kit as they are not prototypically accurate for anything.
scaro
 

Re: Coal hopper molds

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:15 pm

scaro wrote:
Bill Dixon wrote:I see a Rokal set of passenger cars that don't look right.



i'm only being half-facetious, but they aren't right. seriously i would think twice about using these as the basis for any sort of new kit as they are not prototypically accurate for anything.


I was thinking more in terms of colour. I know they are short among other major deficiencies but I was concerned about them being sold as UP cars when in the picture they looked brown not yellow.

Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Trains 2012 Chair November 9-12, 2012
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:57 pm
Location: North Vancouver, B.C.

Re: Coal hopper molds

Postby Arseny » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Bill, great news!
If we get a new version of hopper, it will be really great! 8-)
And the offset side hopper would be even better! I think it is the most beautiful open hopper!

Concerning Rokal F units - I thing the price is too high. Don't remember that they are a little bit oversized.
And, more important, they will not run through the modern switches.
Last edited by Arseny on Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Arseny
 
Posts: 2644
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:42 am
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia

Re: Coal hopper molds

Postby j p » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:37 pm

When making the offset side hopper, could you please check the excellent description + photos from Marquette and make either different spacing of the ribs or different ends?
Such a new kit would have a higher potential than a simple copy of the Kemtron kit.
And if you could even think of a 3-bay offset side hopper...!
:clap:
j p
 
Posts: 1204
Images: 69
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm

Re: Coal hopper molds

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:59 pm

j p wrote:When making the offset side hopper, could you please check the excellent description + photos from Marquette and make either different spacing of the ribs or different ends?
Such a new kit would have a higher potential than a simple copy of the Kemtron kit.
And if you could even think of a 3-bay offset side hopper...!
:clap:


I am going to be limited by what my N-Scale modeler friend wants to do.
If he has fun with this we might get more models. if not then we will have to be satisfied with one or two hopper models.
He is a Canadian Pacific Railway modeler so all his N-Scale projects are CPR oriented.

Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Trains 2012 Chair November 9-12, 2012
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:57 pm
Location: North Vancouver, B.C.

Re: Coal hopper molds

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:33 pm

Bill, way to score one for the good guys! ;)

I'm ready to buy when they're ready.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
User avatar
ConducTTor
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8293
Images: 13
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 4:52 pm
Location: Atlanta GA USA

Re: Coal hopper molds

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:30 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:I am going to be limited by what my N-Scale modeler friend wants to do.
If he has fun with this we might get more models. if not then we will have to be satisfied with one or two hopper models.
He is a Canadian Pacific Railway modeler so all his N-Scale projects are CPR oriented.


No pictures yet but I have seen the first incomplete sample on trucks. It looks good, much crisper than the original kit.
Like the original it consists of two ends, two sides and a core to build them on. The core is much less bulky.
The sides are thinner so need a load or internal braces to keep from bowing in.

All cast on grab irons have been removed and replaced with mounting spots. Just cut a bit of brass wire to length and glue in place. Not sure about the stirrup steps, they might be a bit large but that is an easy fix.

All that is left to do to finish the model is the two end under frames and brake details and a load.

I hope to have a finished, unpainted model next weekend.


Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Trains 2012 Chair November 9-12, 2012
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:57 pm
Location: North Vancouver, B.C.

Re: Coal hopper molds

Postby Arseny » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:55 am

Great news!

But what about decals? Do you plan to order some? Or maybe some N scale decals will work?
As I've understood, the following railroads would be suitable:

Central RR of New Jersey
Delaware & Hudson
Lehigh Valley
Reading
Western Maryland
User avatar
Arseny
 
Posts: 2644
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:42 am
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia

Re: Coal hopper molds

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:25 pm

Arseny wrote:Great news!

But what about decals? Do you plan to order some? Or maybe some N scale decals will work?
As I've understood, the following railroads would be suitable:

Central RR of New Jersey
Delaware & Hudson
Lehigh Valley
Reading
Western Maryland


If I can find a good side shot of one or more of them, I will see about making my own, both prototypical and for my own railroad.

Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Trains 2012 Chair November 9-12, 2012
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:57 pm
Location: North Vancouver, B.C.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests