CIE Class 121

CIE Class 121

Postby areibel » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:17 pm

Does anyone have any detailed dimensions for an Irish (CIE) Class 121 switcher? Google says it's an EMD model GL8, but I haven't found much info besides some pics.
Thanks,
Al
areibel

Re: CIE Class 121

Postby Rich B » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:46 am

Within my library I have "Modelling Irish Railways" and "Irish Railways Traction and Travel". They're not presently accessible as I'm between houses at present, but if you don't find anything within about a month I should have them out by then. I also have a Model Irish Railways 1:76 121 which I've built and painted, but I wouldn't hold any hope for its exact scale- their 071 is well out. I believe Murphy's Models are planning a 121 as a follow on to their very good 00 scale 141/181, and I think it shares the chassis to them. I know those aren't TT but I could work out dimensions from one.

I have also heard that Inchicore works do have drawings available, but I'm not sure what payment terms are.
Rich B

Postby scaro » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:22 am

GL8W4 apparently. Assume the 'W4' refers to the individual changes made for the Irish market.

If you dont mnd being a loner, the 3mm Society supports the gauge of 13.5mm (with standards) and gauges are available from Finney & Smith. At 1:120, that track gauge works out a shade over 5'3" which is the Irish gauge.

However, the 'TT' used in Irish broad gauge modelling is generally 3mm, like the UK, and there are even layouts:

http://www.3mmsociety.org.uk/MemberLayo ... llRoad.htm

Track is 15.75mm gauge. I do not know if they have done any diesel models.

Ben
scaro

Postby areibel » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:06 pm

I'm not really interested in modelling Irish railroads, but I am interested in this particular locomotive.
A friend pointed out that there is one available in N scale from a rapid prototyping company, and it doesn't sound like it would take much to jack it up to TT size. From the pics I can't tell if the long hood is close to an SW whatever or an NW2, but if it was close I'd buy one just to see. The cab looks different, but the arch of the roof looks close- might just need to make up a new back wall. But I need some dimensions (long hood width, length, cab height) to see if it's worth while.
Al,
areibel

Return to Prototypes / Models