Christoph Products Log Buggy

Christoph Products Log Buggy

Postby Bernd » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:20 am

I have quite an extensive collection of Model Railroader, Model Railroad Craftsman and The Narrow Gauge & Shortline Gazette. Occasionally I like to pick one year and browse through that years 12 issues just to see what changed or give me inspiration for a project. As I was looking through the August 1964 issue of Model Railroader I came across this add in MR's Trade Topics column.

I found it very informative. Gave me the dimensions and the truck wheel spacing, which is very close to what I have with my log disconnects. His wheel spacing is 5'6" as to my 5'. Also after studying the picture I've decided I'm going for the skeleton log car instead of the disconnects.

Bernd
Last edited by Bernd on Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernd

Re: Christoph Products Log Buggy

Postby areibel » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:08 pm

Hi Bernd,
I was hoping to find mine and send you one, but I can't remember where I've got them buried! The car is actually nice, and the cast metal logs ad some weight. The only weak spot were the trucks, they made those arch bars out of cast white metal and I'd bet 99.99% of them broke.
I'll keep digging and find them, they may be stored out at my Dad's place. Since you're getting so good at resin casting, you can take the next step- white metal. Smooth On makes a hi temp silicon for molds, and you can get the low melt metal that you don't need a foundry to melt. Some you can actually melt in a double boiler (around 200 F.) but it's not as strong as some of the others in the 250-300 degree range.
areibel

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:39 pm

Interesting. I did not know that the X2F was adapted for TT scale.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby areibel » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:11 pm

Christoph made a cast metal version of the X2F, but I don't think many guys used them. They were pretty delicate, most of the ones I have are broken if they were mounted on a car.

And Bernd- I found them- one will be on the way!
areibel

Postby Bernd » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:50 pm

Thanks Al. Much appreciated.

Do you think they would be better to cast in the low temp metals as opposed to resin? Although I've never tried the low temp metals perhaps I should give it a try. Probably would work better if they were spun cast.

Now here's the question. Can I copy these and perhaps sell these to the TT members if they wanted some? Or would it be copy right infringement? Also is Christoph still around?

Bernd
Bernd

Postby areibel » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:32 pm

The log buggy itself looks like pewter or something similar, the logs are zamac. The log buggies themselves are still in great shape, but the logs are starting to show some zinc rot- they're getting some cracks and some are actually warping. I tried to pick out some straighter ones so you could use them for patterns, you might have to use a little filler or even resin to fill some small cracks first though. I think they made them like that so there was enough weight that they'd operate OK, they're pretty small and resin ones would be real light.

And the question on Christoph, I'll have to find that one out. Most of the original TT companies all wound up owned by John Harmon after going through a string of owners that didn't do much. I'm not sure if Christoph was in that list or not, the rest are all owned by the former Tempe TT owner's son and it's all rotting away in a garage near Chicago somewhere.
areibel

Postby Bernd » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:28 pm

Sounds like it's time for some one to get serious about producing some parts/models again. The past several weeks I've been seriously pondering if I should start a cottage industry. I do enjoy making stuff. I still haven't come to a defiant answer yet.

Thanks for the heads up on the product line. Much appreciated.

Benrd
Bernd

Postby areibel » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:07 pm

I've always thought about doing a small logging set up but since I can't even get a module done, well I'm not holding my breath!
I've had an idea percolating about building a Heisler logging locomotive out of one of those BR81 0-8-0's and using it to pull a string of the Christoph cars but that's one of my many unfinished projects!
areibel

Postby tomvanhoy » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:34 pm

Any clue as to where the brake wheel should be attached?
It's not in the picture and that is the best pic I have seen!
tomvanhoy

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:52 pm

I'm pretty sure I've seen those buggies on ebay from time to time.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion