Christoph models

Christoph models

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:27 pm

I don't know if this has been brought up before or not, but I am trying to find out who owns Christoph models, as I have some detail parts for cars and buildings that I would like to make resin copies of so I can make more buildings and cars. Does anyone know what the status is, and who I should contact?
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: Christoph models

Postby areibel » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:04 pm

Almost any of the old TT companies you can mention are now owned by the Lisowski estate. Larry Sayre bought up most of them, sold them to John Harmon in the 80's and John sold to Stan Lisowski. He produced stuff under the Tempe Models name, but he owned the rights to the other companies. Stan passed away suddenly and his son inherited it. Unfortunalely the son hated TT, thought his dad had made a huge mistake buying the companies and said something to the effect that TT would die before he would sell. I did hear that he mentioned a price of $40K, but the actual inventory value is probably half to a third of that, and the tooling, molds,etc are most certainly junk.
I really doubt you'd have any chance of getting him to agree to license you to repop stuff. You'd probably be OK to make stuff for your own use, but to sell it or even give it away you'd probably get sued.
areibel

Postby TTTerrific » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:25 am

areibel wrote:
I really doubt you'd have any chance of getting him to agree to license you to repop stuff. You'd probably be OK to make stuff for your own use, but to sell it or even give it away you'd probably get sued.

Very good advice. Unfortunately everybody has "rights" and some (no name mentioned here) think they are sitting atop a treasure trove, which, as Al has pointed out--is not the case. More unfortunately, there are legions of lawyers who will sue as long as the client "will pay the freight," irrespective of the merits or value of the case.
TTTerrific

Postby scaro » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:54 am

did they, or anyone else, do molds of boxcar ends, eg 5-5-5 or 7-8 or any of the more common ones? i'm not sure whether its worth the drama to try to get hold of them ... the heights of boxcars vary so much, i'd wonder if it's easier for me to make my own molds.
scaro

Postby tomvanhoy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:32 am

There are 2 lots of cast boxcar ends on the bay right now.
tomvanhoy

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:01 am

TTTerrific wrote:More unfortunately, there are legions of lawyers who will sue as long as the client "will pay the freight," irrespective of the merits or value of the case.
Dealt with that once already. I had the owner of a motel try to sue me over a review I left for his establishment online that mentioned some issues I had (some dealt with safety issues, like windows painted shut, broken locks, and exposed wiring covered by duct tape, another issue with him was dealing with him trying to get money from my bank on via fraud, forcing me to close my checking account and start over.) Case was thrown out when every single one of my complaints about him and his business were found to be true and valid. Not a fun experience at all, and it goes to show that 99.999% of all lawyers make the remaining 0.001% look like scum, money over morals.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby areibel » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:11 pm

TTTerrific wrote:Very good advice. Unfortunately everybody has "rights" and some (no name mentioned here) think they are sitting atop a treasure trove, which, as Al has pointed out--is not the case. More unfortunately, there are legions of lawyers who will sue as long as the client "will pay the freight," irrespective of the merits or value of the case.

Yup, and an angry guy with money and a grudge- no win situation! I'd dealrly love to win the Powerball and show up with a truck and a suitcase full of cash and bring it all home. But that would be a "money to burn" situation, you'd never get the cash back even if you got the rights to the companies. I talked to John Harmon a long time ago about it, the son wants more for what's left than the father paid for the whole works! And with a lot of the inventory being stuff like cardstock sides, stripwood, whitemetal and brass parts the storage would be important. 20 years in a damp unheated garage, kiss a lot of it good bye!
areibel

Postby jmass » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:28 pm

with all the stuff thats been coming out as of late including products from some here on this forum, it doesnt seem as important as it might have been three years ago when i first joined this forum what this asswipe does with all the molds and whatever else he might have. and as Al stated, most of it would probally be useless anyway.
jmass

Return to General Discussion