Chris' Diesels and other models

Chris' Diesels and other models

Postby chrishappe » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:19 pm

After Al Reibel's encouragement here are a few pictures of some of my diesels.

DSCF3038-1.jpg
A Tillig FP-7 not an easy kit to build but a good running loco. This one has a Soundtrax decoder and speaker in it.
DSCF3038-1.jpg (98.75 KiB) Viewed 1315 times

G-12-1.jpg
This is a Chosen Scale G-12 kit from NZ. It is an etched brass kit mounted on an Nscale SD-9 chassis, so it is 3-6" gauge. CN ran G-8's that look the same in Newfoundland on 3'6" gauge. I added the handrails to the kit. This has a decoder but no sound

G-12-9-3.jpg
Another shot of the G-12
G-12-9-3.jpg (69.08 KiB) Viewed 1315 times

DSCF2145-1.jpg
Lionel GP-9 with a PVM kit and decoder installed. This is on a 1 square foot display.
DSCF2145-1.jpg (92.91 KiB) Viewed 1316 times

DSCF3624-1.jpg
Lionel GP-9 with added dynamic brakes, and reworked handrails. Inside is a PVM mechanism a sound decoder and a speaker.

Cheers, Chris
Last edited by chrishappe on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrishappe

Re: Chris' Diesels

Postby areibel » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:45 am

Nice Job Chris!
Can I ask, did you build the dynamic brake blister for your GP or is that one from Carsten? I'd like to get a couple of those.
areibel

Postby chrishappe » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:25 am

I built that dynamic brake unit and it is actually quite easy. Get an Athearn HO GP-9 shell, make sure it has the separate brake unit. Start by cutting one of the small fans from the long hood of the HO unit and glue that on your unit between the exhaust stacks. That makes the large fan. Cut the pointy pieces off the sides of the dynamic brake unit and put them aside. Shorten and reduce the height of the side rads until they fit the TT unit, and then glue them on. Shorten the four pointy pieces until they fit in place and then glue them on too. Some plastic filler maybe needed if your joins are anything like mine. Prime it and paint the shell. voila! Dynamic Brakes. I suppose if one of us were to make one without gluing it to the body shell we could make a mold and cast some in resin.
Cheers, Chris
chrishappe

Postby jmass » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:38 pm

nice job on the gp9, what kind of sound decoder did you use and was it hard to install?
jmass

Postby chrishappe » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:48 pm

I have a Soundtrax mini Tsunami in there. 1st Generation Diesel. It is in the top of the cab but I need to do some more work on it as it runs very hot. No ventilation up there. Right now it is at about a 45 degree angle and held in with double sided tape. Before I bought it I made up a dummy block according to the stated dimensions to make sure it would fit but it turned out to be a fraction larger than I expected so it won't fit flat against the top of the hood unless I grind the sides out a bit. A risky business I think. It is slightly longer than the cab. It would fit nicely in the fuel tank but I have a 3/4" speaker in there as I thought that would give the best sound. Maybe just some holes in the chassis will help the cooling.

Cheers Chris
chrishappe

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:14 am

Chris, in some of your pics the track looks hand laid. If it is, what hardware are you using?
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby chrishappe » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:13 am

Yes, my track on the layout is hand laid. I use code 55 rail from Micro Engineering and 7"X9" HOn3 ties from Mount Albert Scale Lumber. I glue the ties to cork roadbed with a glue stick and drop in a copper clad tie every 10th tie. I solder the rail to the copper clad ties and then cut a slot in the center of the ties to remove the short circuit that created. To space the ties I use a piece of plastic tie strip. I drop my ties in between the plastic ties then place a narrow strip of masking tape along the ties and lift them out and place them on the glued cork roadbed. The copper ties come from Fast Tracks www.fast-tracks.net. From Fast Tracks I also bought a point filing tool which is great for filing point rails and frogs for making your own turnouts. Fast tracks make fixtures for building turnouts but not in TT Scale so I built one of my own. I didn't have the skill to mill it out of an aluminum plate like they do so I built it up layer by layer instead. I took a board and glued aluminum strips to it leaving spaces where the copper ties need to be to hold the turnout together. Then I placed the rails in the correct position using track gauges, and then glued washers beside the rails as guides so that I can now place ties and rails on the fixture and they are all in the correct position. Then I just solder the rails to the ties and lift it off the fixture. The aluminum strips on the fixture don't like solder so they don't get stuck to the rails. It is worth watching the videos on the Fast Track website to get an idea of how they do it. Of course you can also build turnouts in place if you just file the rails using the point filing tool and then place them on ties already installed and solder to some copper ties or just spike the rails in place. I used to spike everything but I found soldering to copper ties is quick and easy and they don't move. Also you don't have to worry about flanges hitting the spike heads which can be a problem with code 55 rail. For rail I used to use the pre-blackened rail but I found the regular rail solders so much better and can be easily weathered after installation with Blacken-it or similar products. I am thinking now that I should have ballasted the ties before I installed the rail just like the real guys do. It should be a lot easier than ballasting after the rail is in place.

This reminds me of my favorite Model Railroad joke which has two modelers watching a track gang lay track and one is saying to the other "So those guys put the scenery in first eh!"

Cheers Chris
chrishappe

Postby CSD » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:08 am

Wow! Those look great.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby Marquette » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:25 pm

I love it, great stuff! Especially dig the CP F, what with me being a QC/CP fan. :)
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Re: Chris' Diesels and other models

Postby chrishappe » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:53 am

An update on the CN GP-9 that I said was running very hot. The decoder was overheating up in the cab roof so I decided to pull it all apart and relocate some of the components. I ended up swapping the decoder and speaker positions. The speaker went up in the cab roof and the decoder got moved down to the fuel tank. This necessitated cutting more holes in the chassis to let the sound out and also I now had 9 wires from the decoder to get up into the loco. The decoder was a tight fit and I had to remove the shrink wrap from it (along with the warranty I guess) in order to get it to fit in the fuel tank. Even with a big screened hole in the underside of the fuel tank it still ran hot so I ended up adding an aluminum heat sink the size of the fuel tank to dissipate some of the heat. That seems to have done the trick as I had it running tonight and for the first time it didn't stall with the lights flashing. The normal indication of over heating. The sound is still good so I will not be afraid to put speakers up in the cab roof in future. Chris
chrishappe

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models