Chris' Diesels and other models

Re: Chris' Diesels and other models

Postby Christtking » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:03 pm

I know it's kind of late, but I have to say this: "May God rest him in peace!"
Christtking

Postby milwrd1 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:11 pm

areibel wrote:A sad announcement
Chris, whose motive power is featured in this thread passed away back in February. Anyone who looks over this thread can see what a great modeler he was, as well as a good friend. You'll probably see his name listed in a few other topics dealing with NMRA standards, Chris was instrumental in keeping TT alive in the NMRA's eyes. I'm not sure if he wrote the specs but he was the go to guy for any questions dealing with TT.
He will be missed!

So sorry to hear of Chris' passing. A very skilled modeler as the photos show. He was, for many years, the TT representative on the NMRA standards committee. Most of the NMRA standards sections on TT track standards (including narrow gauge and TT fine scale) were drafted and or reviewed by Chris.

He will be missed by all. He provided much help on HP power conversions and showed much patience. I still have pictures (he sent me hard copy photos, not digital photos) of an HP E7 power drive conversion that he did many, many years ago. He included a hand written note....."I don't know how many more times I can dissassemble this locomotive (for photos), sometimes I even run a little short of patience!!" Needless to say, about a month later, I needed another dimension.....and, yes, the loco came apart again!! A great modeler, always willing to offer whatever help was needed.
milwrd1

Postby areibel » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:08 am

An update from Chris's daughter.
The Auction will be on Saturday April 18 at 9:00 Am in Milton Ontario. There is online bidding available through Proxibid, I'll try and paste this link to get directly to his auctions.
https://www.proxibid.com/asp/SearchAdva ... =1&refine=
If that doesn't work you can go to their main page and enter tt scale in the search box.
Unfortunately they did a lousy job of organizing things, it looks like they filled boxes and took a pic. For example, his G12 that was featured in the TT Empire is mixed in with a box of some Triang and Lionel (Lot 139). And there is a box of kits, evidently unbuilt but no description of what they are, you can only see some Gandy Dancer and other misc. boxes. And some of the boxes just look like they swept whatever leftover they had into a pile and tossed it into a box, no idea of what's worth anything and what's plain junk.
areibel

Postby j p » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:16 pm

Al, could you please ask about shipping? Or rather wrapping and careful packing of the models?
I am afraid that if they ship the models as they are now in the boxes, most of them would be seriously damaged or destroyed on the way.
Have they found a buyer for the layout? I am sure that if the layout cannot be saved then at least Chris' buildings are worth to be preserved for the future.
- Jan
j p

Postby areibel » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:45 pm

Sarah is Chris's daughter, she said anyone with questions can contact her at sarah@happe.ca
But the auctioneer would probably be the one to ask about shipping and packing, http://www.antiquetoys.ca/ or email at
info@antiquetoys.ca They're the ones handling everything now.
Sarah was a little upset about the way the auction is being handled, they really could have done a much better job sorting and listing. Lots of pics of boxes but no idea what the contents are, etc.. She said she was going to try and get them to add more pics, but I don't know how much luck she will have.
And I don't know how big of a layout he had, the house he owned has already been sold so I don't know what would have happened to that or any buildings.
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:29 pm

I'm having convulsions looking at the way stuff was just thrown in a box. God knows how much is being broken. Idiots.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Richard-B » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:29 pm

This... unfortunately, is a perfect example of how -NOT- to handle an estate sale.

It is imperative that the family get a per-item inventory, and pre-auction value estimate prepared independently by someone who can be trusted. This type of help is almost always available from an NMRA Region. We've all heard war stories of people who 'Help' assess estates... and walk away with all the best items themselves. BTW: Having a list ahead of time is a very good way to start... mine is an XLS spreadsheet.

In this case for instance... everything in Lot (147) should have been listed separately. These engines will not realize anywhere near full value as a single lot. The other lots should all have had a detailed contents description.

The auction house does not care... they get their percentage no matter what. If you look at the auction list: http://www.antiquetoys.ca/pdf/Sat-Apr18.pdf ...even compared to other items, the TT collection has been unnecessarily 'lumped together'.

I suspect this is an auction house which caters to the 'collectors' market... where most of the buyers are actually sellers who expect to buy low in bulk, and re-sell high individually.

Very sad...
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Richard-B » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:31 pm

ConducTTor wrote:I'm having convulsions looking at the way stuff was just thrown in a box..
My reaction was -revulsion-... not convulsion!
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby richardedmonds » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:24 pm

Well what are they worth now, nobody knows what damage has been done to paint etc and the parts we don't see. Folks could be bidding on scrap metal now. There is no collector value in handmade models to my mind so the great collection of Chris Happe is well just a pile of trains ------- how scary is that
richardedmonds

Postby j p » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:31 pm

richardedmonds wrote:Well what are they worth now, nobody knows what damage has been done to paint etc and the parts we don't see. Folks could be bidding on scrap metal now. There is no collector value in handmade models to my mind so the great collection of Chris Happe is well just a pile of trains ------- how scary is that

There was a significant value in his handmade models. Can you imagine how many hours/days/months/years they represented?
Unfortunately, it seems that the models got damaged by harsh handling and that they would need additional investment of X-hours/days/months to get them back to the original shape...
j p

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models