Chilliwack Show 2017

Chilliwack Show 2017

Postby CFRiad » Wed May 17, 2017 12:35 am

The Mt. Cheam Lions Club Model Railroad and Hobby Show is on for 21 and 22 October.

Now that the VTE is confirmed, what are the plans for Chilliwack? I think we should go, at least for one day, if not for both. Is there any interest? DileTTante mentioned that he would like to go. If we do this, we can brag with one display each month from August to November.
CFRiad

Re: Chilliwack Show 2017

Postby dileTTante » Wed May 17, 2017 1:25 am

I plan to be at the Chilliwack show, along with Graeme who will drive. He and I are both good for both days of the show, but we can't bring the whole layout Saturday, so what to do? I don't know whether the show justifies both days exhibiting, although it's a large show and the folks are nice. Very likely Voytek can make it, since it's closer to him than Vancouver.
-Terry C
dileTTante

Postby CFRiad » Wed May 17, 2017 9:53 pm

dileTTante wrote:I plan to be at the Chilliwack show, along with Graeme who will drive.

Yay!

I am fine for both days too. Depending on Bill's commitments, we can explore a few options: Bill comes with the entire layout, I rent a trailer and bring the entire layout or, worst case, we exhibit a smaller layout using the four tight corners I have.

Either way count me in. Who is taking care of the registration?
CFRiad

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:37 pm

I will most likely only be able to make it Sunday. I the boss takes the store to Chilliwack then I have to stay behind.

I have been doodling a few ideas.
Here are two.
2017 Chilliwack..jpg
The top is with Voyteks modules and the bottom without. It also assumes that we have a new small corner.

You will notice the notation "LEGS" at two locations. Making the new end loops fit on standard sized tables is difficult. If I make four legs (two per end loop), I can hang the end of a loop off of a table and support it with legs. Not an optimal solution but it would work. It has the drawback that someone could kick a leg and screw up the display.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:45 pm

Not content with a basic setup I decided to try a few new ideas.
2017 Chilliwack Alternate 1..jpg
This gives us an E-Shape by moving the yard to the side. It would be an interesting run around all of the loops but has two openings to guard. This setup requires no new modules.

Take two with the yard on the side.
2017 Chilliwack Alternate 2..jpg
This loops the end loop back across the yard. Not too different to the first alternate. I doodled a bit of new track in two locations (red lines) to see about extending the double track to the yard. This setup requires a new spacer module (Red Box) to space the two small corners apart to allow the yard to sit where it is. Doable but see the next post.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:08 pm

So time to think outside the box or inside the loop.

So what about a display where we could get inside easily, only had one opening to guard. and had good access to the yard.

I give you . . . the inside yard.
20170827 Inside Yard.jpg

This layout has one opening to guard with at least 30" of clearance. The yard is easily accessible inside.

It requires several new modules to work.

We need three new modules on the top left or Voyteks four module set would fit there or we could move one loop around the corner.

We need a new module to make the layout wider. Needs 12 BG1.

We need a module to offset the track to make room for the return loop inside. A quick doodle shows that it will work on a standard straight module with the curves we currently use on our large corners. Needs two BG2 to cut up and two pieces of flex track.

We need to make two modules inside to connect the inside track to the staging yard. Needs a LH turnout (on hand) three short BGs for edge connections and a piece or two of flex track.

Drawbacks
- four new modules to transport (less one replaced). None of these will be scenery intensive so should fit in the boxes I have.
- all trains enter and exit by the back track which has sharp curves.
- all trains enter and exit at the same point. No wye at the exit to decide which way to go. Not a big issue as we will be running loop to loop.

I am going to doodle a bit more and see about moving the access point to the end of the loop. Might be able to work in a wye. Would allow for a longer yard and Tibi's idea of flipping one yard ladder to make all tracks the same length.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby CFRiad » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:00 pm

Ooooh... :whistle: :whistle:

This has so much potential and it is awesome on so many levels.

I have a few proposals for improving the access to the yard. Will be back soon. :dance:
CFRiad

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:22 pm

CFRiad wrote:Ooooh... :whistle: :whistle:

This has so much potential and it is awesome on so many levels.

I have a few proposals for improving the access to the yard. Will be back soon. :dance:

Redid the yard access.
20170827 Inside Yard 2.jpg

This moves the access to an end module. This removes several reverse curves and gives a simpler access.
The left hand yard ladder needs to be rebuilt.
The sway back module is built in the mirror image of what I originally planned and two modules need trimming.
This is a much more elegant solution.
Doodling a bit more, if this was shortened, it would fit in the BCSME display area.

To do this I need track. 12 BG1, five short BG for sway back module and yard access connectors, 1 x LH turnout, enough BR2 curves to make 75 degrees of curve, and three flex or the equivalent amount of tie strips.

I think I have the LH turnout. Will have enough tie strips when the ones Richard mailed me arrive next week. Can get rail easily. Don't think I have the curves or BG1s. Will do some digging.
Last edited by Bill Dixon on Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby CFRiad » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:15 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:Redid the yard access. This moves the access to an end module. This removes several reverse curves and gives a simpler access. The left hand yard ladder needs to be rebuilt.

I will take care of these two modules and will stop working on the 5th tight corner module. I have enough sectional (not roadbed) track and also an EW1 left-hand switch.
Tibi_sContribution.jpg
Tibi_sContribution.jpg (6 KiB) Viewed 168 times

I propose not rebuilding the yard ladder just yet. Looking at your plan, we will be able the fit in the current yard configuration.
Oh, and I will need the track centre-line spacing on the four-track module. I assume the first three tracks are standard 43, 86, 129. But the fourth one?
CFRiad

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:00 pm

I will measure the station corner to get the right spacing.

I have my second laser cut module to repurpose for the sway back module. I have enough track on hand to make that module.

The ladder will need rebuilding otherwise the loop will not sit right. Happily we have enough time to do that.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Next

Return to Events