Chilliwack Show 2017

Re: Chilliwack Show 2017

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:57 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:Voytek tried to run his military train but the crappy couplers hung so low they caught on every turnout.

May I ask as to what type of couplers were the problem?
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby dileTTante » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:42 pm

Couplers are Roco. They aren't crappy. I like them for several reasons, but the uncoupling pins definitely caught on the turnouts, although not every turnout. And not every coupler caught, so the problem might be that the coupler pockets aren't all at the right height. I tried Roco couplers, too, because they ought to allow more vertical movement before uncoupling, but they presented this other problem. Roco uncoupling use a plunger and the pin can catch, while Tillig or Kuehn use a curved lever which can ride over an obstruction. I'm only speculating here, but while the Tillig's don't catch, the brief upward push might loosen the coupling for later problems. This again depends on proper height of the pocket on the car.

Since Tibi and Bill take care to level the modules we have way fewer problems with uncoupling. But they still occur even with N American knuckle couplers - some don't work well. So it boils down to using only what works on this layout, considering different curve radii, different tracks, gaps in the rails between modules, or even when there's a brief slack in the train when a loco hits a dirty spot on the track. TT Tracks is the proving ground.

Tibi and I really like the old BTTB couplers, but they can't be used for close-coupling mechanisms.

-Terry C
dileTTante

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:32 pm

dileTTante wrote:Couplers are Roco. They aren't crappy. I like them for several reasons, but the uncoupling pins definitely caught on the turnouts, although not every turnout. And not every coupler caught, so the problem might be that the coupler pockets aren't all at the right height. I tried Roco couplers, too, because they ought to allow more vertical movement before uncoupling, but they presented this other problem. Roco uncoupling use a plunger and the pin can catch, while Tillig or Kuehn use a curved lever which can ride over an obstruction. I'm only speculating here, but while the Tillig's don't catch, the brief upward push might loosesn the coupling for later problems. This again depends on proper height of the pocket on the car.

Since Tibi and Bill take care to level the modules we have way fewer problems with uncoupling. But they still occur even with N American knuckle couplers - some don't work well. So it boils down to using only what works on this layout, considering different curve radii, different tracks, gaps in the rails between modules, or even when there's a brief slack in the train when a loco hits a dirty spot on the track. TT Tracks is the proving ground.

Tibi and I really like the old BTTB couplers, but they can't be used for close-coupling mechanisms.

-Terry C

Terry,

Thanks for the review of the problem. I am looking into building a number of modules besides the pair of 3' x 4' modules that we are currently working on, and needing to know potential hang-ups is a must.
AstroGoat760

Postby CFRiad » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:49 am

Right, here is my two pennies' worth: the experience I have with various types of couplers is only what I observed while operating the modules in the last couple of years.

dileTTante wrote:Couplers are Roco. They aren't crappy.
The Roco couplers on the military train were misaligned and the system does not seem to allow any adjustment. This negates the advantages of allowing more vertical travel before uncoupling. So I would vote them as the worst of the lot. If somebody can show me how to adjust their elevation and vertical orientation, I will be willing to revise my vote.

dileTTante wrote:...Tillig or Kuehn use a curved lever which can ride over an obstruction.
The Tillig/Kuehn couplers are very sensitive to vertical misalignment but they (most of them) are adjustable. If adjusted correctly, they work well, even on our wavy modular layout. If I ever needed close coupling kinematic couplers, I would use them.

dileTTante wrote:But they still occur even with N American knuckle couplers.
Again, if they are adjusted well, they are the best I observed. Sometimes I am tempted to install them on European stock too.

dileTTante wrote:Tibi and I really like the old BTTB couplers...
... but I am an old hipster who still wears a mechanical watch and a Monty Python T-shirt and writes with a fountain pen (explain them to the youngsters).
Last edited by CFRiad on Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:00 am

dileTTante wrote:Since we have exhibited TT scale locally for seven years it's familiar to the other regular exhibitors and probably familiar to people who visit the shows regularly.
A lot of the local modellers know us or of us. But they still think about us as harmless bunch of weirdos :lol:

The most memorable piece in the community is still Bjoern's GuiTTar Case. :wave:
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:11 am

Bill Dixon wrote:As noted in the last post we ran a beer train.
This was a beauty. It had a bunch a beer reefers and 4 wine cask cars. The last car was (obviously) a Czechoslovakian dining car. It was the highest class train running, with priority over all other trains.
Last edited by CFRiad on Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:22 am

dileTTante wrote: We have a block with three cars on it - HO, TT, and N.

This:
scales.jpg
CFRiad

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:04 am

CFRiad wrote:
dileTTante wrote: We have a block with three cars on it - HO, TT, and N.

This:
scales.jpg

I may have to "borrow" that idea. :lol:
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:27 am

CFRiad wrote:
Bill Dixon wrote:As noted in the last post we ran a beer train.
This was a beauty. It had a bunch a beer reefers and 4 wine cask cars. The last car was (obviously) a Czechoslovakian dining car. It was the highest class train running, with priority over all other trains.

Ah yes, the inebriation express.
AstroGoat760

Postby CFRiad » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:31 am

AstroGoat760 wrote:Ah yes, the inebriation express.
We called it the happy train.
CFRiad

PreviousNext

Return to Events