Chilliwack Show 2017

Re: Chilliwack Show 2017

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:21 am

Sunday was a good day. Arrived about 9:30 AM.
Crowd was light but we had fun.
As noted in the last post
20171015 Beer Train.jpg
we ran a beer train.
Voytek tried to run his military train but the crappy couplers hung so low they caught on every turnout.

This time we had enough reefers to run a produce train:
20171015 Produce Train.jpg
Several of the cars are retrucked HP cars. They look OK and are a welcome addition to the fleet.

We ran an average of four trains at a time. As usual some equipment acted up and was set aside for service. This time I dedicated one storage compartment in my car case to Bad Order cars so they will be easy to find.

At 4 PM we shut down and started packing up. We got Voytek out first so he could drive the Fraser Canyon in daylight.

Then the rest of us packed up and went for Dinner (and Beer) at Ricky's. Given our liking for beer I should find somewhere on a module to put a brewery and make a Billboard reefer or two. Need a good T-Scale name. Perhaps H P Porter, 12.0%.

After dinner it was gas up the van, gas is 15 cents a litre cheaper out here, and then the long drive home.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:32 am

This was our largest display every with several new modules.

Here is the display as setup.
20171015 Chliiwack Final.jpg
I think I have every module in the right position and every piece of track we added.
Tibi noted on Saturday that it took a train five minutes to go completely around the display.

Calculations today showed that the mainline from tip of loop to tip of loop was about 1.66 scale miles long so the round trip was 3.32 scale miles long. Add in the sidings and staging track and we had over five scale miles of track.
Not bad.

As the display was too big to cover in one picture I took several.

Starting at the left end.
20171015 Left end of the display.jpg

The right side of the same edge.
20171015 Right side of display.jpg

The end of the loop.
20171015 End of display.jpg

And the right side of the display.
20171015 Right End of Display.jpg

Not bad for a group that started with something that sat on three tables in 2011.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:45 am

We had seven new modules in this display. Two pieces were retired.
Terry had the four straight modules he acquired from Florida Bill.
20171015 Terry New Mod 1.jpg

20171015 Terry New mod 2.jpg

20171015 Terry New Mod 3.jpg
Three of the straight modules were placed in a row with three BG1 straight pieces added to make a short passing siding.

20171015 Terry New Mod 4.jpg
The fourth module with the bridge is very nice. With the addition of grass and bushes they will be very presentable.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:07 am

I had three new modules.
The new two piece 30" inch corner. This replaced the the large power corner.
20171015New Power Corner.jpg
This half has the power connections.
20171015 Second Half of New Corner.jpg
The second half of the 30" corner. At this display we had a module between them. Trains looked good going around this larger corner.

20171015 Back Junction Module.jpg
This module needed to be built to replace the back track access that was on the retired large corner.

Tibi rebuilt the staging yard access with larger curves. It now has BR3 curves instead of the sub BR1 it originally had. Trains ran much better over this track.

The retired large corner has been put into storage for now. I now have two large corners in storage, along with the wye access module. A bit of straight track was scavenged off of the old power corner but otherwise they are useable or saleable.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:24 am

Final Comments - from me - for now.

Was it a good show? No . . . it was a GREAT SHOW!
This large layout is about as large as we can handle with our small group. More members to help run would be nice.

The reverse loops work well. It would be nice if they were BR4 curves instead of BR3. That is doable but not this year.
Tibi has a good idea on rewiring them for better operation. May be done by VTE.

The large corner is very nice. I have measured their carrying box properly and it looks like the box will hold a corner a bit larger, perhaps one or two radius, so instead of BR6 and BR7, it would be BR7 and BR8, or BR8 and BR9. More doodling to do. Bigger is better.

Old HP trucks sort of run on the layout but it is better to replace them with Gold Coast or Perevset. You need to build up a bolster on cars that ran HP trucks.The Perevset trucks will take Gold Coast wheel sets but not Fox Valley.
We have nobody running Triang TT Scale equipment. There is enough of it available locally to make a good train or two.
Need to make a set of radius templates for the various curves.

Too much to do.

But most importantly less than four weeks to Vancouver \train Expo. I hope to see some new faces there.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby dileTTante » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:20 am

This was the first time we exhibited at the show in Chilliwack for the whole weekend, instead of just Sunday only. We had been missing Saturday opening ceremonies which this time consisted of bagpipes accompanying singing of the US and Canadian national anthems. Chilliwack is located inland along the Fraser River just over an hour's drive from Vancouver. The people are pleasant, trailer hitches are commonplace, and the mountains rise directly in the east.

We have attracted two young participants who were able to give Tibi a break from running the trains. Kuba, the 10 year old grandson of Voytek's brother, helped us during setup and with running trains throughout Saturday, along with our friend Jayden who is 7 years old and equally capable. The photo shows Jayden in charge while the rest of us think about beer.

Links of interest for Tri-Ang TT
http://www.tri-angtt.org.uk/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-ang_Railways

-Terry C
Attachments
P1000438R.JPG
P1000442R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby Sventton » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:03 am

Impressive work in TT, like the reefer train also.
Sventton

Postby jmass » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:41 am

Great job as always guys. What was the general reaction from the people to TT scale?
jmass

Postby dileTTante » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:43 pm

jmass wrote:Great job as always guys. What was the general reaction from the people to TT scale?
Thanks.

As usual many people ask if it's N scale. Apparently they're not sure or else they wouldn't ask. We have a big banner which Bjoern had made that says TT, but people don't read it. We have a block with three cars on it - HO, TT, and N. At first I didn't think it was a worthwhile idea but readily admit I was wrong because we have shown it often when people ask how TT compares to other scales.

Since we have exhibited TT scale locally for seven years it's familiar to the other regular exhibitors and probably familiar to people who visit the shows regularly. Other vendors or exhibitors who have happened to acquire old Tri-Ang or Rokal trains and ask around, are referred to us to find out what they have. Most people seem attracted to TT and recognize it's advantages, but at the same time most are committed to other scales.

The newer N. American rolling stock really makes a good impression, but then there's the disappointment when people find out they can't buy TT at a hobby shop.

I think from now on instead of telling people how unique TT scale is, I'll try to give them direct links for purchasing starter sets or the basic equipment.

-Terry C
dileTTante

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:56 pm

Wow, I tip my hat to thee.

Seriously, the Possum Central Railroad needs to get its act together to promote TT scale in the Southeastern US, maybe eventually we will spread the word of TT scale all across this continent!
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

PreviousNext

Return to Events