Chilliwack Show 2017

Re: Chilliwack Show 2017

Postby Bill Dixon » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:16 pm

Progress is being made.
20171006backtrackaccess.jpg
The backtrack access module is ready. Needs scenery and ballast but is ready to use. This module makes the layout wider and is needed because:

2017100630inchcorners.jpg
these two 30 inch corners should be ready for Chilliwack.
They replace the power corner and thus we loose the back track access.

The pieces are nominally of correct size. After a bit of adjustment they do make a 90 degree corner.
The edge pieces are down. The cork is drying from gluing this morning. I have the .020 styrene strips to glue on tonight or tomorrow morning. I will assemble the tie strips tomorrow evening (mixed wood and pc ties) for gluing Sunday. Will see how much of a bodge it end up being.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:16 pm

Here is the projected Chilliwack setup.
20171011 Test for bill.jpg

This should be the final setup unless I double used a module again.<G>
I hope to be there before 7 PM.
Saturday i may be there int he afternoon. Not sure yet, things are in a flux at the store.
Sunday I will be there all day.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:38 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:Here is the projected Chilliwack setup.
This should be the final setup unless I double used a module again.<G>
I hope to be there before 7 PM.
Saturday i may be there in the afternoon. Not sure yet, things are in a flux at the store.
Sunday I will be there all day.

So I did use a module twice. Took one from the right end loop to make things fit.
As I juggle this display to make it fit for VanExpo next month something I mentioned a long time ago has become needed. I need 1/3 and 2/3 modules to make things fit. Rather than make a new module I may cut up an existing module.

It has been a roller coaster day about being there Saturday. Now that things have finally (maybe) settled down I will be out Saturday afternoon.
So out for a half days running and then dinner in the evening with the guys.

The van is loaded so I am (maybe) ready for tomorrow.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby CFRiad » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:37 am

I am also ready. The yard access module is complete. I rebuilt it longer and with smoother curves. Still no scenery on it though.

The car is loaded. On Friday after work I will take the train home, get the car and drive to Chilliwack. Should be there around 7, depending on traffic.

Wish us luck.
CFRiad

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:49 am

CFRiad wrote:Wish us luck.

Good luck, have fun, and do not tire yourselves out!
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby voyttek » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:59 am

Things look good. I am almost packed, but tomorrow I only have to change tires on my 4 runner, / was snowing today/ and I will be on my way to Chilliwack.
I'am planing to be around 6;30, so seeYou there.
voyttek

Postby CFRiad » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:29 pm

Things are on time for now. Leaving soon. Google maps says 1 hour and 30 mins. Let's see how good this prediction is.
CFRiad

Postby Bill Dixon » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:57 am

The weather was good. The drive to Chilliwack was fast due to light traffic.
Terry and Graeme arrived first. Tibi was next. I arrived shortly after Tibi and Voytek and Kuba (not sure of spelling) arrived a bit after that.

We set up the tables and then started trying to level them. The tables here are old and sagging. Took a fair amount of shims to level them.
Then we set up the display and started levelling the modules. We used up all our shims, cut up some cardboard, used pieces of packing foam and even used the level.
20171013levelling.jpg

After this display we can all give ourselves Achievement Certificates for 'Extreme Levelling".

Then we spent a while finding the short in our wiring. Turned out to be a connector assembled wrong on Tibis' junction module.

Then Kouba ran a locomotive around the display and through the staging yard to make sure everything worked OK.
No doubt there will be issues when the layout warms up tomorrow but right now everything works.

Two quick pictures.
20171013new corners.jpg
The new corners. I think the curves ended up being R6 and R7. We will post a shot or two of trains on them tomorrow.

The display is getting to big to fit in one picture.
20171013display.jpg
Will post pictures from the other corners tomorrow.

I forgot the new extension cables and the three way splitter I made. Happily we were to get by without them today. They will be there tomorrow along with the bucket of wood shims I have. We may replace some of the piles of cardboard shims with wood shims tomorrow.

It was a good setup. Going to be fun running on this large display.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby CN-TT » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:16 pm

:wtf: :crazy: :shock:
It looks like the plywood and foam board industry will have to work some extra shifts to satisfy the needs just for the canadian TT-track guys!? :wink: Well done and have fun.

Bjoern
CN-TT

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:03 am

Saturday on the display dawned early for the guys (I was in the store).
After fixing an issue on the reverse loops and yet another bad cable, things ran well.
Jayden (from the BCSME) showed up. He and Kuba and Kubas' brother ran the trains for most of the morning.

I left work at about 12:30 and after a few stops arrived before 2 PM.
The power extension cord that I had left at home was installed to bypass a problem with a bad turnout.

There were equipment problems. I tried to run a pair of HP streamline cars but they had issues shorting.
My original Lionel F3 conversion is not running very well. Not sure if it is the motor or the decoder. Needs to be worked on.

20171014S Bend.jpg
The swayback module combined with one of Voyteks modules make a nice scene. Have to give some thought to making another module or two like this.

Trains look good on the new larger corners.
20171014Train on new corner.jpg
Here is our favourite oil train on the new curves.
201Train on Large Corner.jpg
And here is the same train on the older city corner. Trains look much better on the new curves, and being made in two pieces, they are much more flexible. In this display we have a straight module between them.

After a few maintenance items we went to Mr Mikes for dinner.
20171014The Best Part of Supper.jpg
The best part of dinner. This spurred the desire to run a beer train so tomorrow we will do so.

Then was the long drive home. As I was a bit tired and stuck in a big surge of traffic I pulled into a rest stop for a short nap. Traffic was much lighter after the stop and I made it home uneventfully.

Up early tomorrow to do this all again.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

PreviousNext

Return to Events