Chilliwack Show 2017

Re: Chilliwack Show 2017

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:14 am

Bill Dixon wrote:I have my second laser cut module to re purpose for the sway back module. I have enough track on hand to make that module.

Dug out my second laser cut module and started work.
20170828 Sway back Module.jpg
It was already setup to be a straight through module so a few changes were needed.
I relocated the left end connector pieces. To get this done quickly, I know I have time but dates on the calendar are closer than you think, the cork is going to be a mish-mash. I'll add what is needed for the relocated track and cut away the unneeded cork. Will be messy but will get the job done now. Ballast may wait. Will get basic scenery. Due to the strain the edge connectors will be under it might be worth nailing those pieces down.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby dileTTante » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:36 am

Guys, I'm visiting in Ohio with limited time on internet to figure out the proposals here - but the layout looks like a great idea. I've offered to buy railtwister's modules (Bill Nielsen in Florida). If he can get them to Ohio and if I can bring back some or all of them by end of September perhaps they can be of use in this new arrangement. They are four 90 degree curves and four straights, described earlier somewhere in the TT Tracks -- here's part of it- tt-trak-t979-90.html

I haven't dealt yet with the means of getting them back to Vancouver. Haven't even paid for them yet, so it's too early to make definite plans.

-Terry C
dileTTante

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:14 pm

dileTTante wrote:Guys, I'm visiting in Ohio with limited time on internet to figure out the proposals here - but the layout looks like a great idea. I've offered to buy railtwister's modules (Bill Nielsen in Florida). If he can get them to Ohio and if I can bring back some or all of them by end of September perhaps they can be of use in this new arrangement. They are four 90 degree curves and four straights, described earlier somewhere in the TT Tracks -- here's part of it- tt-trak-t979-90.html

I haven't dealt yet with the means of getting them back to Vancouver. Haven't even paid for them yet, so it's too early to make definite plans.

-Terry C

Hi Terry

More straight modules would be good.
What were the size and curve radius of the corners?
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:19 pm

CFRiad wrote:
Bill Dixon wrote:Redid the yard access. This moves the access to an end module. This removes several reverse curves and gives a simpler access. The left hand yard ladder needs to be rebuilt.

I will take care of these two modules and will stop working on the 5th tight corner module. I have enough sectional (not roadbed) track and also an EW1 left-hand switch.
Tibi_sContribution.jpg

I propose not rebuilding the yard ladder just yet. Looking at your plan, we will be able the fit in the current yard configuration.
Oh, and I will need the track centre-line spacing on the four-track module. I assume the first three tracks are standard 43, 86, 129. But the fourth one?

Standards are wondefull now if only if I followed them.

From the front edge of the module ignoring the 1mm thick fascia
Measured to center of outside rail.

Front Track 46 from front edge
Outer Main 43 from front track
Inner Main 42.5 from outer main
Back Track 143.5 from inner main
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby dileTTante » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:30 am

Bill Dixon wrote:More straight modules would be good.
What were the size and curve radius of the corners?
Communication with Bill was done while I was crossing Canada so I kept it simple and didn't ask many questions. Bill offered to send photos but I had seen from his posts on TTNut that his modules were well made. I didn't ask for specifics because I'll use the modules whatever they are. However, from his TTNut posts I think only Tillig bedding track was used which limits possible curves of track.
---------
The following are excerpts from his posts

tt-trak-t979-110.html

my straight modules are twelve inches deep. Since I was using 1/8" model aircraft Lite-Ply, which came in a 12"x24" sheet (although it was actually only 11-7/8" wide), that set the limit for my module's size. By lapping the fascia over the edge of the 11-7/8" wide top, I was able to make the module a full 12" deep. When I made the corner modules, I bought a 4'x8' sheet of 1/8" door skin ply, which allowed me to cut panels to any size I needed (in this case, about 17-1/4" square).

tt-trak-t979-190.html

Because they are larger (17+" square) and have an added fascia panel on the side instead of just one at the front, my corners come in at just under 2 pounds one ounce, again with no scenery (yet). ---at the moment, I have four modules each in two basic sizes (12"x19+", and 17+"x17+")
----------
One of his straight modules is recessed and has a bridge.
I haven't heard back from Bill yet.

-Terry C
dileTTante

Postby Bill Dixon » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:53 am

Bill Dixon wrote:
Bill Dixon wrote:I have my second laser cut module to re purpose for the sway back module. I have enough track on hand to make that module.

Dug out my second laser cut module and started work.

Added nails to the edge pieces.
20170830 Cork trimmed.jpg
Glued on additional cork then trimmed roughly to shape.

20170830 A quick paint job.jpg
Then a quick paint job for now. This will give me a base to glue the scenery to. If it gets scrapped off the colour will show instead of bare wood.
I put .010" styrene strips under one track but ran out so I din't bother with the second track. There will be a slight dip from the end pieces to the center of the module but it should be nothing to worry about.
An astute observer will not that I have note cut the rails to length yet nor added Kato Unijoiners. That will come..
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby dileTTante » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:01 am

I didn't understand the need for another special module when a straight module looked like it would work. But too late now since you've made one.

Also plan for Chilliwack doesn't include modules from Voytek who is likely to be there.

-Terry C
Attachments
20170827 Inside Yard 2_mod.jpg
dileTTante

Postby voyttek » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:11 pm

I'am planing to be in Chilliwack, and yes, I will bring my three modules.

A part of my post may be off topic, but I wanted to share it with you...

So far for more then seven weeks now we have been on evacuation alert, to be ready to immediately leave our home if required.
All my TT staff is in boxes waiting for better time ( the fire exhausted) or I would have to evacuate it with me running away at the last minute before the fires.
The plan is to stay behind an evacuation order for as long as possible, hoping that the fire would miss us, yet in the worst case scenario, we'd have to set the pump running, getting the house wet and drive away. So hard to think about it.

Meantime, we have been watching from our deck, plumes of smoke building on the horizon, changing directions, or crawling towards us with changing winds.
The irony is, that when Texas is praying for the sun and the rains to end, we have had rainless summer; even our creek dried out, attempting to cut grass with a lawn mower could cause the fire and is prohibited.

No rain in the forecast for at least the next two weeks.... so the last night it advanced again some 6 miles in north-east direction....
Tomorrow the wind is to shift more towards us. Let's keep the fingers crossed.

Unfortunately I could not build any new modules this summer as I have been preoccupied and working hard to prepare our place for unfortunate event of fire approaching....

Just few pictures from our place.
Attachments
IMG_0211.jpg
First smoke seven weeks ago
IMG_0585.jpg
Building a well for a fire pump
IMG_0781.jpg
Planes at work on Green lake
IMG_0915.jpg
On the other side of the lake
IMG_0975.jpg
What will the night bring ?
voyttek

Postby CFRiad » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:36 pm

voyttek wrote:I'am planing to be in Chilliwack, and yes, I will bring my three modules.

Looking forward to seeing you. Stay safe.
Last edited by CFRiad on Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:53 am

Bill Dixon wrote:From the front edge of the module ignoring the 1 mm thick fascia, measured to center of outside rail.
Front Track 46 from front edge
Outer Main 43 from front track
Inner Main 42.5 from outer main
Back Track 143.5 from inner main

So, I drew everything to scale in AnyRail. Here are first 5 of the 6 options I tried (btw, a post allows a maximum of 5 attachments; who knew...)
Option 1
Option1.png
Option 1 -- Tight fit, uses the existing yard ladder

Option 2
Option2.png
Option 2 -- Large overlap with existing modules, needs a re-built yard ladder

Option 3
Option3.png
Option 3 -- Takes up a lot of room on the inside, uses the existing yard ladder

Option 4
Option4.png
Option 4 -- Takes up a lot of room on the inside, uses the existing yard ladder, yard flipped around

Option 5
Option5.png
Option 5 -- Takes up a lot of room on the inside, needs a re-built yard ladder
CFRiad

PreviousNext

Return to Events