Chilliwack 2013 Show

Chilliwack 2013 Show

Postby Bill Dixon » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:54 am

I will be taking my TT-Tracks display to the Mt Cheam Lions Club Model Railroad and Hobby Show
Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 10:00 am to 4:00 pm at the Heritage Park, 44140 Luckakuck Way, Chilliwack.

dilettant will be there to help me.
This full display is intended to shake the bugs out for the Trains 2013 display in November.
We expect to be there at 8:00 AM to setup the display.

Anybody in the neighborhood is welcome to come and visit and run trains.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Re: Chilliwack 2013 Show

Postby dileTTante » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:54 pm

Bill Dixon and I spent Sunday at the train show in Chilliwack, British Columbia. The town is on the Fraser River about an hour's drive inland east of Vancouver. The show was a two day event but we were there only Sunday. I brought a tool box full of TT trains, and Bill brought everything else, including me. I had never seen this show before and it exceeded my expectations. The hall is twice the size of the one used in Vancouver and there were several really big layouts, including two modular layouts in G scale.

Attached are some photos from the day. I ran my German trains, mostly with the Brawa E95 which I bought earlier this year, to break it in, and Bill ran Canadian trains -mostly with the new SW1200s. Attendance was good and many people were interested in our TT scale display. Some said they knew nothing about the scale, but there were a few who remembered TT from days gone by.
-Terry C.
Attachments
DSC01382R.JPG
DSC01406R.JPG
DSC01401R.JPG
DSC01426R.JPG
DSC01432R.JPG
Last edited by dileTTante on Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dileTTante

Postby dileTTante » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:59 pm

More photos. Last one (not TT) is for Arseny. Bill Dixon may post more with some comments. After that I post just a few of non-TT things at the show.
-Terry
Attachments
DSC01386R.JPG
DSC01441R.JPG
DSC01442R.JPG
DSC01447R.JPG
DSC01408R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:33 pm

That's awesome guys! Bill, nice to see the TTT layout progress at a show. Cheers!
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby milwrd1 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:38 pm

Thanks for the pictures :thumbup: :thumbup:

Nice to see the HP passenger cars on the modular layout. From the pictures, I noted that the overhang on the curves did not seem to be excessive. Were there any problems with the long passenger cars on the relatively short radius curves on the modular layout :?:
milwrd1

Postby dileTTante » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:23 pm

Since Bill hasn't commented yet and I've had some sleep, I'll say more. Bill's original modules had sharp curves which were a problem. His latest modules present no problems for passenger cars. I ran a Tillig passenger train and my other German trains on the outer track and Bill used the inner track which had a freight train most of the time. Later he tried the HP passenger cars. On the inner loop they took the curves well.

The main problem we had was from the tables which were not all the same height. We didn't have shims to correct everything. Throughout the day we had cars uncouple randomly from time to time because the track was uneven. One of Bill's HP passenger cars didn't run well, uncoupling and derailing, but possibly the car needs some work. (We were contemplating the 60 years difference between the cars and the loco.) We have a low opinion of the turnouts which add to the problems. I think, though, that we had fewer problems than at previous shows and we're getting better.

For me the most pleasing part of the show was the great number of children - the future of model railroading. There were several displays especially for the children, letting them operate the trains and get their little hands all over them. There was one modular layout made of wood with wooden track and trains. It was beautiful, a work of art. The little ones enjoyed it. The web site is worth a look - http://www.wtrak.org

-Terry C.
Attachments
DSC01394R.JPG
DSC01397R.JPG
DSC01398R.JPG
DSC01411R.JPG
DSC01438R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:10 pm

That's great for the kids. I had half a thought to include some sort of "kid control" on my layout for the Nationals but didn't have enough time to do it. Ultimately I let a few kids come around the back and turn the controller dials a bit.
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:03 pm

Show Report Part 1 of a couple.

The day started early - why is the alarm going off at 6 AM? Oh yeah a show.
Get up, morning ablutions, get dressed and hit the road. Stop at a drive-through for breakfast and then pick up Terry at 7 AM.
On the road again, sounds like a good title for a song, drive for an hour to Chilliwack and arrive about 8.

Greet the show coordinator and ask where we setup. ?? Oops, I forgot about you coming, but don't worry we have lots of space.
We were about the only display on a 200' foot long wall, right in front of a power plug and between two sets of doors so loading in and out was easy.

2013-10-20setup from end.jpg

This time we setup on three tables with a fourth at one side for the staging yard. The three tables had enough room on them to leave a foot clear at the front for kids to lean on and for handouts, a foot to one side and most importantly a foot to the rear for us to put stuff on, power packs, throttles, equipment we were staging onto or off of the layout.
We dressed the tables with blue table covers tapped down. I forgot to bring masking tape but Terry remembered.
Put the modules in place and connect them. Add power and run.

I had brought my own tables along in case we needed them. We used two six footers behind the display to put our equipment boxes on. I used one four footer to block off one side of the display. This worked well. I also used it as a work surface to fix a flat car and as a lunch counter, it kept spills off of the layout.

As Terry mentioned we had one table with a bow in it that caused module alignment issues.

Ran trains all day with issues, then at 4 PM the show ended and we packed up.

On the road to downtown Chilliwack by 4:45 PM to gas up. Gas in much cheaper out here than in town, no transit taxes. I paid $ 1.20.9 Can$ a litre. Here in town this afternoon it is $ 1.31.9 Can$ a Litre.

Drive home tired but happy. Drop off Terry, get supper and then home and snoring in front of the TV by 7:00 PM.

It was a good but tiring day. We talked to a lot of people. Some were mildly interested, a few more so. Handed out 20+ brochures and an unknown number of mini handouts.

It was good having Terry there with me. He ran European equipment and i ran North American equipment. We were each able to wander away from the display from time to time for food or a facility break or to do a little shopping and socializing.

Now we will do it all again in three weeks.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:55 pm

Show report part two of a couple.

As mentioned in a previous post, Terry ran European equipment using the Digitrax DCC on the outer line

I ran North American exclusively on the inner line with mixed DC and DCC.

Pride of place was my new pair of CNR SW1200s. I ran them double headed for a while pulling fifteen cars.
Unfortunately I had to take 7027 out of service. It was growling. Don't know why. i will figure out why in the next few days.
The single unit had no problem pulling the fifteen car train.
I am really impressed with these units. With their performance at this display I do not think I will need to install the driver set with the traction tire. These units started out DC but I converted them to DCC early in the day.
I also ran my 25ton switcher (DC), Possum Valley still unpainted.
My converted Lionel F-Unit - still has issues with drive belts.
My converted Lionel F-Unit, Possum Valley conversion. this might need a new motor.
My Arnold Koff. This is a game little model. It will try and move a long string of cars but is really only happy pulling two.
And my Dockside 0-4-0T got another hour of running time.
A few issues to resolve with some units before the next show.

The fifteen car train was an international string of cars with cars from Rail-TT (Ukraine), Gold Coast(US now German), C-n-C milled gondola from the US and a handful of locally produced Canadian cars.

Tried to run older car with HP trucks. No go, needs a truck replacement.
Ran two HP passenger cars. They ran OK but they need work on the couplers. More things to address.

Still I had fun and ran a lot of equipment

I need more good N/A locomotives. Hopefully I can resolve the issue with #7027 with out needing to send it back for warranty service. My third SW900 should be out of the paint shop and ready to run at Trains in three weeks.
I should be able to resurrect my two Lionel F3 conversions. I have spare belts for my conversion and if necessary will remotor the Possum Valley conversion.

So what do I still need?

When funds permit a few more SW1200s will be acquired.

I need cabooses. I have a handful of old built up HP cabooses that all need work before they are use able. I do have one HP kit on hand but I am attempting to clone that in modern materials. The two cabooses I have on order from Art and Detail will help a lot when they arrive and are assembled.

I need tank cars. Time to dig out the brass models and clean them up and paint them.

Some 50' box cars are needed to break up the strings of 32' (hoppers), 36' (Dominion cars and stock cars) and 40' Gold Coast box cars. Lok-n-Roll or PS1 from Art and Detail

Need short gondolas, more Bachmann kit bashes maybe.
Ore cars would be nice. I have not heard how good or bad the Shapeways models are. Not sure I want to spend another $100 on an unknown product. Bought too many marginally useable old assembled TT cars that way.

Need more trucks. Lok-n-Roll are not selling the Gold Coast trucks yet.

And of course there are the perennial needs: money, time and space.<G>
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:32 pm

Show report part 3 - maybe the last

So what was learned.

Level modules are important if you are running European equipment. The couplers on the equipment Terry was running would uncouple at the slightest bump in the track.

I need to pay more attention to the tables supplied. They need to be level or you will have to shim the modules so they are level. I really don't want to have to put leveler feet on all the modules. It would make them higher and harder to transport.
For now I will make up an assortment of 1/8" and 1/4" shims.

The table covers do blow around a bit. I think I will change to green for future setups.

In the past equipment storage and transport was a pain. I used an assortment of paper boxes.

I have discovered the locking storage boxes from the "Really Useful Box Company".
I purchased two 11 litre boxes and obtained one nine litre box from my wife.

The 11 litre boxes came with a six compartment tray in them.
The box will hold ten Gold Coast cars in one layer.
I reduced the height of the insert by half, and wasn't that a job without the right tools.
Each compartment in the insert holds four cars wrapped in tissue so that was 24 cars on that layer.
So the first box has 34 misc cars.

The second 11 litre box held locomotives, and a few passenger cars.

The 9 litre box held more locomotives, passenger cars, spare trucks, couplers, basic tools - coupler height gauge, track gauge and stuff.

That is three solid, stackable boxes with all the equipment I need to run the display.

I still had a paper box full of loose buildings, DCC receiver, Corgi models and other stuff, but for once, my equipment was nicely organized for the display.

It helps to have multiple people at a display. What one person forgets, I forgot masking tape, the other may remember, Terry had some.

Running a layout display at a show is a lot of hard, tiring work . . . but is a lot of rewarding fun.
You talk to a lot of people, make new friend and run trains.

Other than a cold beer what else could you want?
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Next

Return to General Discussion