Chilliwack 2013 Show

Re: Chilliwack 2013 Show

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:12 pm

For European coupler issues (uncoupling) there is only one fix - use Kuhn couplers.

Glad you had fun and yeah it's tiring. I can't wait for the next Atlanta show in March.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby j p » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:27 am

ConducTTor wrote:For European coupler issues (uncoupling) there is only one fix - use Kuhn couplers.

Glad you had fun and yeah it's tiring. I can't wait for the next Atlanta show in March.

Yes.
In most cases it is enough to replace the coupler on one side.
e.g.
Kuehn - Kuehn: best
Kuehn - Tillig: OK in most cases
Tillig - Tillig: can cause random uncoupling
j p

Postby Bill Dixon » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:05 am

One thing I noticed before the show was that the handout brochure I had was out of date.
I did a some updates before the show but missed a few things.
This evening I updated it a bit more, new picture, a changed manufacturer list and some wording.
The manufacturer list reflects those with new products, most of whom I have dealt with.
By Western Rails next March I should have something from everybody listed running on my display.

I am open to suggestions to improve anything on the handout.
Attachments
2013-10-TT Scale Handout 1.pdf
(461.95 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Arseny » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:33 am

Bill, your layout and your display looks great (as usual)!

It's very pity that Lok-n-Roll does not sell trucks separately. I was going to buy some. Does anybody know, if they plan to sell them in future?
You can try to order Peresvet's (3 options) or RailTT's ones instead of them. Russian trucks from Peresvet looks very similar to American ones, but I am not sure if they are absolutely identical. Archbar trucks seems to be identical, but they can work good only for 1930s or earlier.

Also if you need cabooses, you can order some from RailTT too, not only from Art&Detail.
I would be glad if you make a comparison between RailTT's caboose and Art&Detail one.
Arseny

Postby Bill Dixon » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:55 am

Arseny wrote:Bill, your layout and your display looks great (as usual)!

It's very pity that Lok-n-Roll does not sell trucks separately. I was going to buy some. Does anybody know, if they plan to sell them in future?

Time to send them an email to see if they will be sold with or without wheel sets.

Arseny wrote:You can try to order Peresvet's (3 options) or RailTT's ones instead of them. Russian trucks from Peresvet looks very similar to American ones, but I am not sure if they are absolutely identical. Archbar trucks seems to be identical, but they can work good only for 1930s or earlier.

looking at the PDF catalogue that Art&Detail sent me it looks like they do a ASF Ride control truck and a roller bearing version as well.

Arseny wrote:Also if you need cabooses, you can order some from RailTT too, not only from Art&Detail.
I would be glad if you make a comparison between RailTT's caboose and Art&Detail one.

I have a RaiTT steel caboose lettered fro my own railway. An interesting model even though it is short. It looks good.
I do have two wood cabooses on order from Art&Detail, one each of the CPR and CNR styles. When finished and painted they should look good behind my SW1200s. In the future I will acquire one or more of Art & Details Wide Vision cabooses. Although the wood cabooses did get painted in the CNR Noodle and CPR Multi Mark schemes, the Wide Vision cabooses would be more appropriate for the SW1200 paint schemes.
Of course if the SW1200 should ever come out in one of the CPR maroon & grey paint schemes, the wood caboose would be correct.
When inspiration strikes I will finish my clone the HP caboose project to make a few more cabooses for my home roads.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby MacG » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:56 pm

To your handout brochure:

Parallel Track Spacing is 40.7mm. This fits as well for Old Time and Classic Dimensions. But for the Modern Dimensions you have to broaden it (to minimum 46mm see NMRA S-7). I think also, that articulated steamers and long cars (>80ft) have a problem at small radii with this small track spacing

For SazModel you can use: www.sazmodel.com

Lok-n-Roll has also power chassis for other NA locomotives and other freight cars beside Gold Coast products.

RailTT: North Amwerican

A repetition within four lines: " TT was quite popular in the 50's."

EDIT: There is also a Bay Window Caboose from Ingo Schwaetzer. see Siggis Modellbahn Shop
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby LVG1 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:04 am

Bill Dixon wrote:One thing I noticed before the show was that the handout brochure I had was out of date.
I did a some updates before the show but missed a few things.
This evening I updated it a bit more, new picture, a changed manufacturer list and some wording.
The manufacturer list reflects those with new products, most of whom I have dealt with.
By Western Rails next March I should have something from everybody listed running on my display.

I am open to suggestions to improve anything on the handout.

• page 1, middle column:
    For Euro Train Hobby you have enumerated "spare parts" twice.
  • page 2, left column:
    As MacG mentioned, the sentence "TT was quite popular in the 50's." also appears twice.
    You wrote: "TT-Scale took off in Europe, Germany and
    Britain and Russia. New models
    TT was quite popular in the 50's.from
    Europe and Russia can be bought from a number
    of makers today.
    TT was quite popular in the 50's."
    This looks like the sentence has been put into the middle of another sentence where it appears first.
    I guess, it should rather be: "TT-Scale took off in Europe, Germany and Britain and Russia. New models from Europe and Russia can be bought from a number of makers today.
    TT was quite popular in the 50's."
  • page 2, table at the top of middle column:
    • In the header you wrote "Guage". I think, it should rather be "Gauge".
    • I think, it would look better if you wrote the numbers the same style. It means, either all numbers smaller than 1 with a leading "0", or none.

That's what catched my eye at the first glance.
May be, those whose mother tongue is English can tell you more.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:13 pm

Thank you all for the corrections.

After you have worked on a document for a while you mind starts to jump over sections that you know are correct.
New eyes always see what the editor misses.

I have incorporated them all in a new version of the brochure without (I Hope) adding any more errors.
Still room for improvement but it will do for the next show, Trains 2013 on November 9 and 10.

And one more pass and then a complete rebuild caused by an inadvertent push of the delete key.
Check with the spell checker and we may be good to go here.
Attachments
20131028.1TT Scale Handout 1.pdf
(457.84 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
Last edited by Bill Dixon on Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby LVG1 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:41 pm

I've found two details which I had overlooked at your first pamphlet. Sorry!

• first page, left column:
    At the dimensions of TT-scale you wrote: "One Foot: .1" (2.54mm)" The leading "0" is missing again.
  • first page, top of middle column:
    You wrote: "Imports the MTB SW900/1200 model as well
    as TT-Scale models from Inter-Action
    Enterprises TT, and KBM."
    I'm not sure, but isn't it SW9 and SW1200? Or did CSD write it wrong on the SazModel home page?
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:44 pm

LVG1 wrote:I've found two details which I had overlooked at your first pamphlet. Sorry!

• first page, left column:
    At the dimensions of TT-scale you wrote: "One Foot: .1" (2.54mm)" The leading "0" is missing again.

Got it.
LVG1 wrote:
  • first page, top of middle column:
    You wrote: "Imports the MTB SW900/1200 model as well
    as TT-Scale models from Inter-Action
    Enterprises TT, and KBM."
    I'm not sure, but isn't it SW9 and SW1200? Or did CSD write it wrong on the SazModel home page?

• EMD made a SW8, SW9 and the SW900/1200.
    The 900/1200 refer to the HP rating 900 HP or 1200 HP the switcher was rated for.
    To confuse the issue the last two SW900 built by GM had 1000 HP.

The SW9 had a 1200 HP V12 engine. The SW900/1200 only had a V8.

Other than the fact that the SW900 had one exhaust stack and the SW9 and SW1200 had two I couldn't tell you what the spotting differences are.

As the MTB web site lists the model as a SW1200, SW9 I will change the pamphlet.
    Regards
    Bill Dixon
    TT-Tracks
    North Vancouver, BC
    Bill Dixon

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion