Chapman GP7 Project

Re: Chapman GP7 Project

Postby sd80mac » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:16 pm

My vote is for a proper motor mount, again something similar to Kato or Athearn Genesis. If space is an issue, then a simple etching may be a good alternative.

Donnell
sd80mac
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:55 am

Re: Chapman GP7 Project

Postby ConnRiver » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:39 pm

sd80mac wrote:My vote is for a proper motor mount, again something similar to Kato or Athearn Genesis. If space is an issue, then a simple etching may be a good alternative. -Donnell


I'll have to create some sort of bracket, neither motor has screw holes in the casing to hold them to a chassis. Any ideas? Got photos of solutions?
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:51 am
Location: Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA

Re: Chapman GP7 Project

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:44 pm

I actually prefer a non rigid mount (foam tape). That keeps motor/drivetrain vibrations from transferring to the chassis and makes for a smoother ride. The engine mounts in your car are rubber for this same reason.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
User avatar
ConducTTor
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8293
Images: 13
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 4:52 pm
Location: Atlanta GA USA

Re: Chapman GP7 Project

Postby krokodil » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:27 am

ConnRiver wrote:
sd80mac wrote:My vote is for a proper motor mount, again something similar to Kato or Athearn Genesis. If space is an issue, then a simple etching may be a good alternative. -Donnell


I'll have to create some sort of bracket, neither motor has screw holes in the casing to hold them to a chassis. Any ideas? Got photos of solutions?


You should make a motor holder what clamps on the motor from both sides on the bearing houses ( between the motor and the flywheels). This motor holder can be fixed from bottom in the fuel tank. It can be fixed by 2 screws or by a tape.
Unfortunately you will need two such motorholders for the 2 motors.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
User avatar
krokodil
 
Posts: 422
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:46 pm

Re: Chapman GP7 Project

Postby ConnRiver » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:41 pm

It's time for me to buy some motors. I can find both myself, I would think, online. But, if you have good places to buy the Mashima 1020D and Mitsumi M15N-3, please let me know.
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:51 am
Location: Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA

Re: Chapman GP7 Project

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:19 pm

This is where I used to buy from http://www.pojezdy.eu/eshop/6-motory-mashima . However, the owner doesn't sell outside of EU any more due to some taxes or something that he has to pay. I haven't looked for a new source.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
User avatar
ConducTTor
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8293
Images: 13
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 4:52 pm
Location: Atlanta GA USA

Re: GP7 - Chasses and Motor Positions

Postby ConnRiver » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:16 pm

I don't know what the performance comparison would be between the Mitsumi and Mashima motors, but space-wise the Mashima -- more compact -- provides the greatest savings inside the shell. And, thus, greater space for electronics (including a speaker box) and weight.

69 - GP7 ph I - Chasses-Motor Positions.jpg
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:51 am
Location: Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA

Re: Chapman GP7 Project

Postby j p » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:19 pm

ConducTTor wrote:This is where I used to buy from http://www.pojezdy.eu/eshop/6-motory-mashima . However, the owner doesn't sell outside of EU any more due to some taxes or something that he has to pay. I haven't looked for a new source.


I have met the owner some time ago and bought my first MTB locomotives from him. His business is not registered for VAT (e.g. cannot remove VAT). I can buy from him and ship to you. It would cost one extra shipment though.

ConnRiver wrote:I'll have to create some sort of bracket, neither motor has screw holes in the casing to hold them to a chassis. Any ideas? Got photos of solutions?


Mashima motor has two 2 holes for metric screws 1.4 mm.

Jan

(sorry for posting in someone else' topic)
j p
 
Posts: 1194
Images: 69
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm

Re: GP7 - Chasses and Motor Positions

Postby krokodil » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:35 pm

ConnRiver wrote:I don't know what the performance comparison would be between the Mitsumi and Mashima motors, but space-wise the Mashima -- more compact -- provides the greatest savings inside the shell. And, thus, greater space for electronics (including a speaker box) and weight.

69 - GP7 ph I - Chasses-Motor Positions.jpg


Hi Brian

Please think about the weight (ballast) over motor is useless. The gravity center must be below the motor axle. This means the underframe should be from heavy material.
Everything else is secondary. There are excellent small speakers (Zimo, Tran) and very powerful amps. They can be located anywhere ( preferable the speaker under the fan grid). The space above the motor can be used for anything just not for extra weight
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
User avatar
krokodil
 
Posts: 422
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:46 pm

Re: Chapman GP7 Project

Postby dwyaneward » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:57 pm

Dwyane Ward | Fairview, TX
------------------------------------
My TT Scale Modeling Blog
Texas & Pacific - Bonham Division in N Scale
KD Models -3D Printing
dwyaneward
 
Posts: 107
Images: 0
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:31 pm
Location: Fairview, Texas

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests