Changing the look of the forum?

Board rules and such. Read before posting.

dark or light

Keep it the same
33%
Go white
44%
Neither black nor white - something in the middle
11%
Don't care
11%

Total votes : 9

Changing the look of the forum?

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:29 am

I'm contemplating going to a "whiter" forum. On one hand I like the overall black look because it's easier on the eyes but on the other hand, a whiter or at least lighter overall look is well.... brighter. What do you guys prefer?
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: Changing the look of the forum?

Postby BTTB Fan » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:15 am

As long as the text is black on white, the overall look does not matter much to me.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:07 am

I personally like the present look of the board.

Then again, ConducTTor, this is your forum, so you can do that voodoo that you do so well, and I will use this board as much.

Just don't do what one of my shipmates did to the Navigation Plot Computer on the USS Annapolis (SSN-760): he changed the colors to multiple shades of pink, and he saved the changes as "Pink Pleasure". The skipper was not pleased when he found out that an Admiral had seen the changes and was laughing profusely.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:57 pm

I'm sure you guys have noticed the forum look changing and some things looking whack. Some people have a hard time with the "black" look so I'm working on a "white" one. Give me several more days.....
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:57 pm

I saw the white the other day, so went into my settings to pick one that's mostly black - the too much white bothers my eyes.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:06 pm

^^^ All the previous "looks" for the site will always be available so everyone can choose whatever they prefer. Just go to your control panel, preferences, and select a style. There is the original "blue", the most recent black named "prosilver" and the new "white".
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby railtwister » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:42 pm

Hi Alex,

As long as the user can set their own preferences to keep it how they like it, I see no problem. What I really dislike is some programmer deciding what is best, and then forcing that decision on all the users whether they like it or not. Yahoo Groups tried something similar last year to make them look more like Facebook, losing some of the nicer features of Yahoo Groups in the process, and it caused an uproar. If I had wanted to be on Facebook, that's where I would have been in the first place. Fortunately, they listened to user complaints, and made the new look optional rather than mandatory.

I must admit to being PO'd when this site's appearance changed and at first I couldn't pinpoint why. Eventually, I figured out how to set the look back to what I was used to, but I didn't like having to waste my time having to figure it all out. My hobby is trains, not computers, the computer is simply a necessary evil to enable me to better communicate with other model train enthusiasts. If you are going to change things like that, fine, it's your group, but please let us know it's coming beforehand.

Thanks for listening,
Bill Nielsen
Oakland Park (Ft. Lauderdale), FL, USA
railtwister

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:54 pm

^^^ That's fair and not a problem. I should have "warned" everyone how to choose a previous look. But, I DID leave the old looks as a choice so no one is forced to accept the new one :wink:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Mon May 02, 2011 10:58 am

......and by the way, those of you using the white version may have noticed the site's gotten faster. I did a TON of work to reduce styles and images and page load times have been reduced by about 35%........
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby areibel » Mon May 02, 2011 1:03 pm

I actually like the bright white, I first saw it at work when I checked it. It came up white at first, I logged in and it came up black. I was just blaming it on FireFox on the work machine!
areibel

Next

Return to About The Board