CFRiad's workbench and the box of suspended projects

Postby CFRiad » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:41 am

Who's familiar with this: you see, read about, hear about this and that train modelling thing and immediately think that is very neat, you want it and you can totally do it? You then get the bits, and put them in The Box Of Future Projects? And then over a few years the box gets fuller and you're busy and life happens and you are a master procrastinator? And the box becomes The Box Of Dead Projects?

Yeah, I though so. I also have one of those.

On top of all that, I haven't made anything new for the TT-Tracks display since the staging yard and even that is unfinished. The show layout needs heaps of work; if you follow Bill's posts in the TT-Tracks thread you know what I'm talking about.

So it's time I get off my butt and do stuff. I am not as disciplined as AstroGoat to have a resolution thread, but will still try posting about what I am up to. It will be a bit a motivator for me to get things done.
CFRiad

Re: CFRiad's workbench and the box of suspended projects

Postby CFRiad » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:54 am

Let's start simple. The last Gold Cost boxcar I bought in Salt Lake City from TT-West needed couplers. So I got myself a 00-90 drill and tap set and I installed my first set of knuckle couplers ever.

IMG_1272.jpg

The car is now ready to run. It has couplers and is weighted correctly.
Last edited by CFRiad on Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:01 am

Building my courage on that, I converted a Peresvet SZD flatcar to a decent stand-in for a nondescript North American car. All it took is a spray of flat black paint over the original lettering, a bit of filing flat for the coupler boxes and the new Micro Trains couplers. The car is a too light, but it doesn't have room to hide enough weights. Oh well...

IMG_1270.jpg

The car is ready to run as is. I may add container pegs later.
Decals, you ask? Hey, slow down, I'm a noob.
Last edited by CFRiad on Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:11 am

This is an old Gandy Dancer tank car I got from Voytek. The body came loose from the chassis, it had the wrong couplers and it was generally in a sorry state. The model is very crude, with a wood tank over an etched brass chassis and stamped brass trucks. Despite this, it is very cute in its wonkiness.

I glued the body to the chassis, I installed new Micro Trains couplers and I repaired the ladders. The car runs ok. It would benefit from new plastic trucks but for that I need longer self-tapping screws and those are hard to find.

It would be a crime to repaint this car. I want to keep the original paint and decals and a spray of flat clear coat may help with this. I'll think about this some more, lest I ruin it.

IMG_1271.jpg
Last edited by CFRiad on Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:40 am, edited 7 times in total.
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:18 am

And now for something completely different.

While operating on the TT-Tracks layout at shows, I sometimes need a way to move North American cars around with European locos or vice versa. So I made this:

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

This was a two-axle low-wall gondola from BTTB. Off came the buffers on one end, new Micro Trains knuckle coupler is on and the car is filled with lead shots. I scratch-built the cover from styrene and the paint is from a rattle can. I will touch it up later.

This may not seem like much, but considering I haven't built or painted anything from scratch at this scale...
Last edited by CFRiad on Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
CFRiad

Postby Bigelov » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:56 am

CFRaid,

I have a couple of Peresvet flat cars also, and have added some weight underneath.

What I did was cut off the brake gear and epoxied lead sheet cut to size to fit between the underframe sections, as in the photo above. The centre piece hss three pieces of lead in each section, and the outer ones are two deep. Lead shot could also be glued into these areas. It adds a nice amount of weight to the car and the brake gear was hidden up underneath and not visible anyway so I was happy enough to remove it.

It's a good feeling finishing those old projects :)
Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account
Bigelov

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:00 am

Bigelov wrote:It's a good feeling finishing those old projects :)

I second that emotion.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby CFRiad » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:13 pm

Today is flat car day.

The Presvet flat car conversion:
Bigelov wrote:[...] cut off the brake gear and epoxied lead sheet cut to size to fit between the underframe sections, as in the photo above. The centre piece hss three pieces of lead in each section, and the outer ones are two deep. Lead shot could also be glued into these areas.

Off came the brake gear and lead shots are now glued in. It is still missing some 20 g, but it will do.
IMG_1275.jpg

A bunch of my BTTB container carriers and flat cars had container pegs broken. Some 1 mm styrene rods, a #61 drill and some poly cement fixed the problem. All white pegs in the photo are replacements.
IMG_1277.jpg
Last edited by CFRiad on Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:24 pm

Speaking of containers... A while ago I got a few 40' containers from PSK Modelbouw. They look good. The boxes connect to the cars with 1 mm holes in the corners. Since the pegs on the card are also 1 mm in diameter, the fit was quite tight. Sometime when you wanted to lift the container off the car, very annoyingly, the car would come with it, derailing a a good chunk of the train.

Enlarging the holes to 2 mm allowed to a more relaxed fit. Works very well.
IMG_1278.jpg
Last edited by CFRiad on Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:27 pm

The paint is touched up and the ladders are now safety yellow. RTR.
IMG_1276.jpg
Last edited by CFRiad on Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CFRiad

Next

Return to General Discussion