CFRiad's workbench and the box of suspended projects

Re: CFRiad's workbench and the box of suspended projects

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:38 pm

CFRiad wrote:Who's familiar with this: you see, read about, hear about this and that train modelling thing and immediately think that is very neat, you want it and you can totally do it? You then get the bits, and put them in The Box Of Future Projects? And then over a few years the box gets fuller and you're busy and life happens and you are a master procrastinator? And the box becomes The Box Of Dead Projects?

Yeah, I though so. I also have one of those.

Oh, yeah, I have a few bins of model train projects over the years, in a multitude of scales. I have opted to focus on TT, S, and 8.75" gauge trains, so the rest will be pared back and sold off.

I am trying to work through the backlog of projects as quickly as I can.

CFRiad wrote:So it's time I get off my butt and do stuff. I am not as disciplined as AstroGoat to have a resolution thread, but will still try posting about what I am up to. It will be a bit a motivator for me to get things done.

Me, disciplined? Pfffft.

If I was disciplined, I wouldn't have such a backlog of projects.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

CFRiad's workbench and the box of suspended projects

Postby CFRiad » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:58 pm

I finally made progress on the new yard access modules. The curves on the old set-up were R3 (393 mm) which were a bit too tight for some of our steam locos.

The new modules will have a minimum track radius of 600 mm (between R8 and R9). The module boxes are built from 5 mm plywood. They connect together using alignment pins and a hand-tightened bolt.

The wood working part was the most time-consuming. I hope to be able to start laying track next week in the evenings after work. Unfortunately, my order from MBS still hasn't shipped :( . I borrowed a 10° Kuehn turnout from Bill and I am still missing the conversion joiners between code 70 and code 83 rail. Will have to figure out how to borrow, substitute or jerry rig ten of them.
IMG_1279.jpg
CFRiad

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:58 am

600mm radius? Nice..... Double that and you're almost prototype :wink:
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CFRiad » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:39 am

How to join code 70 to code 83 rails when transition joiners are not available... Come on, Kuehn, get your act together.

Bill proposes the following possibilities:
  1. Make your own - file away the sides in the middle of a joiner and try and bend it. -- too fiddly
  2. Put a .010" brass shim in the bottom of a code 80 rail joiner to raise the code 70 rail up. -- don't have shims
  3. File away the head and web of the code 80 rail to leave a flat base to solder the code 70 rail to. -- has potential but seems a lot of work.
So a riffed on #3. Inserted a joiner on the code 83 rail, squished half of it flat and soldered the code 70 rail on top of it. The result is within tolerances. Back in business. I hope to finish laying the track by the end of this coming weekend.
CFRiad

Postby MacG » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:23 am

For me, the number one works. Insert the Code 83 rail to the half into the joiner, press the joiner with the rail onto the workbench and use the file or a fine saw. Rail joiners aren't soldered! They are useful for the length expansion of the rail.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Previous

Return to General Discussion