Cats and trains

Talk about anything and everything!

Re: Cats and trains

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:16 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Me? Yes there are two now. Not so much kittens anymore. I don't allow them in the room with the layout - they're too destructive.

Do I need to work with your cats, so they can play trains with you?
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConnRiver » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:15 am

I asked a similar question a few years ago, maybe on the LayoutConstruction yahoo site? Got a lot of really good answers, I thought.

If someone would like to peruse that information, I can either post it here or link to the thread at the site. We have three cats and a dog (the latter is a Beagle and not a threat to reach the layout).

I've got a book/shelving system on three levels around the perimeter of the room, the middle shelving, maybe 54 inches above the floor, carrying the layout (on narrow hollow core doors, for a thin profile, rather than on 5/8" shelving boards). Under the lowest shelving level I have desks and tables -- jumping off points to reach the shelves. I'm gonna have to do something. . . .

-Brian

Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:55 am

ConnRiver wrote:I asked a similar question a few years ago, maybe on the LayoutConstruction yahoo site? Got a lot of really good answers, I thought.

If someone would like to peruse that information, I can either post it here or link to the thread at the site. We have three cats and a dog (the latter is a Beagle and not a threat to reach the layout).

I've got a book/shelving system on three levels around the perimeter of the room, the middle shelving, maybe 54 inches above the floor, carrying the layout (on narrow hollow core doors, for a thin profile, rather than on 5/8" shelving boards). Under the lowest shelving level I have desks and tables -- jumping off points to reach the shelves. I'm gonna have to do something. . . .

-Brian

Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I remember a similar thread on the Classic Toy Train forums some years ago, dealing with my cat Natasha and how she is content to be around trains of all kinds.

Contrary to popular belief, cats can be taught to respect boundaries.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby TinGoat » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:42 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote:I remember a similar thread on the Classic Toy Train forums some years ago, dealing with my cat Natasha and how she is content to be around trains of all kinds.

Contrary to popular belief, cats can be taught to respect boundaries.

Learn to speak cat.

A Hiss works well to get a cats attention and tells a cat that you are displeased.

Easier and quicker than having to use a squirt bottle.
Happy Railroadin'
The Tin Goat
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Overlooking Fairbank on the Toronto Belt Line
Ontario, Dominion of Canada
====
The Ontario Narrow Gauge Show:
http://www.narrowgaugeontario.com
====
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog:
http://humbervalleysimcoerailway.blogspot.com/
====