Catenary in TT

Catenary in TT

Postby ozman2009 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:06 pm

There are going to be a lot of questions from me....

I like electrified railways, but putting up catenary in Z scale was just too hard, thus my eloks have been running around with their pantographs fully extended (one more compromise). Has anyone here put up catenary for a TT scale layout?
Gary
Sydney, Australia
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout".
ozman2009

Re: Catenary in TT

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:18 pm

Bring on the questions! There currently is only one manufacturer that I know of - Viessman (German). I don't like the thickness of their "wires" though. I realize it's a matter of the scale but I'm trying to think through a way to do thin wire that doesn't get bent up from the force of the pantographs. Haven't thought of one yet.......
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ozman2009 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:16 am

Sommerfeldt (Germany) also make a TT catenary range (for the DB only), but it's nowhere near as extensive as their HO and N ranges. I should have said before that I wouldn't want to power the catenary.
Gary
Sydney, Australia
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout".
ozman2009

Postby CSD » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:14 am

I have tried both the Sommerfeld and Viessman. Unfortunately Sommerfeld has patterned its design off their N line so the lattice structures area plastic and have a un-prototypical support structure in them. They also require quite a bite of soldering and painting (the wires are copper coloured). Plus, are more expensive. I would recommend the Viessman. Not only do they have the catenary, but the signals too.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby scaro » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:43 am

Model Memories who did the 40' and 50' boxcar roofwalks for me in TT do catenary, but theirs is American style ... however it may be worth asking Don if he'd do an etch of catenary in TT ?

Ben
scaro

Postby qrdelo » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:30 pm

Another company making catenary for TT is HObbex. Their range is simple, almost the same as the old BTTB range with a few additions such as posts and wire for tunnels, tension posts and double arm posts but they are considerably cheaper than Weissmann or Sommerfeldt. Most retailers in Germany seem to stock only one or two of the simple items although Sebnitz hobby (where I go to drool and dream) does illustrate the entire range. There is another company, can't remember the name (but I'll keep looking) that are listed on the lokPavillion site.

I installed catenary on my previous layout and found it was a big problem in complex areas such as stations. A lot of fun trying to rewheel wagons under the wire. On my new layout I intend to install catenary only on the lines outside of stations for a photograhic effect. Even with the catenary I ran my locos with pantographs down to avoid damage.

There is also a local manufacturer here in Australia (Wuiske models) that makes catenary posts for HOn3 Queensland Rail prototype. QR prototype is smaller than US or European and when I ran my Tillig 101 class on a club layout it did not look too much out of scale although the style of post is much simpler (just a girder really) than the lattice style posts used elsewhere.

Have fun
Graeme
qrdelo

Postby qrdelo » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:38 pm

Found the name of the second company on the Lokpavillion site. The company is called Modellsystem.

Graeme
qrdelo

Postby Marquette » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:12 pm

Back when I had the Piedmont & Northern as my prototype, and later when I was considering part of the Milwaukee's electrified lines, I was planning for catenary. Not for effect, but for operation, with power running through the wire to run the electrics.

This was especially a good idea for the P&N, as that way I could have electric locomotives or interurbans running at the same time on the same track as diesels, which'd be taking their power entirely from the rails - and this, without having to deal with all that DCC nonsense!

Mind, I also had another idea I think could be made to work, namely a working grid of powerlines... distribute power to lights etc. on the layout by way of wiring strung up on power poles and transmission towers...
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:04 am

qrdelo wrote:Found the name of the second company on the Lokpavillion site. The company is called Modellsystem.

Graeme

Can you give some links please - the Lokpavillion site is a mess to navigate :eh:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby qrdelo » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:53 pm

Just go to the Lokpavillion site and click on modellsystem. The HObbex range does not seem to be advertised on their site at the moment and modellbahnwelt only shows 2 items in stock, however they can be found on ebay at a number of places. Just go to the german ebay site, go to modellbau and then TTspur. Type in Hobbex. There are quite a few items advertised at the moment mainly from two shops.

For a list of their items go to the Hobbex site at http://www.hobbex.de/home.htm (in German but illustrated and easy to understand).

regards
Graeme
qrdelo

Next

Return to Layouts / Track Plans