Carrying on the tradition.

Carrying on the tradition.

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:54 pm

While looking through one of my boxes of older TT scale freight cars for cars to refit with knuckle couplers, I came across this BAR boxcar with some writing on the bottom:
IMG_1804.JPG

IMG_1805.JPG

Kinda give you a sense of tradition, huh?
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: Carrying on the tradition.

Postby Richard-B » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:26 pm

AstroGoat760 wrote:Kinda give you a sense of tradition, huh?
Archival micro-ferroequinology...

I would like to think that those of us on this list might set aside a few of these older items... especially one with dates or provenance like my P-13 4-6-2... and eventually arrange for them to be displayed in the NMRA Museum to be built in Sacramento.

If we don't do it... no one else EVER will.
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby milwrd1 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:09 pm

Very interesting piece of history. If you're interested, the "Potatoe Reefer" (Bangor & Aroostook) was one of the early Gandy Dancer kits, kit # R30 which appears in the first Gandy Dancer catalog, catalog A.

I call this interesting because the original kits came with cast metal roofwalks and reefer hatches, and the photo shows plastic roofwalks and reefer hatches. This indicates that the kit was either a later version of the R30 kit OR upgraded with plastic parts by the owner. The story goes that Starline produced plastic parts which were incorporated into some of the Gandy Dancer offerings around 1956-1957. The dates on the bottom certainly support this, being that the original kit was probably built / purchased in 1951, and the car was upgraded in 1957.

The white on the cardstock sides is very dull from age, don't know if there is any way to clean it up a little. :?:
milwrd1

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:56 pm

milwrd1 wrote:Very interesting piece of history. If you're interested, the "Potatoe Reefer" (Bangor & Aroostook) was one of the early Gandy Dancer kits, kit # R30 which appears in the first Gandy Dancer catalog, catalog A.

I call this interesting because the original kits came with cast metal roofwalks and reefer hatches, and the photo shows plastic roofwalks and reefer hatches. This indicates that the kit was either a later version of the R30 kit OR upgraded with plastic parts by the owner. The story goes that Starline produced plastic parts which were incorporated into some of the Gandy Dancer offerings around 1956-1957. The dates on the bottom certainly support this, being that the original kit was probably built / purchased in 1951, and the car was upgraded in 1957.

The white on the cardstock sides is very dull from age, don't know if there is any way to clean it up a little. :?:

That is very neat information!
I am very interested in TT history (HisTTory?).
AstroGoat760

Postby Murad » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:29 pm

I do have a HP box car made in 1949 in my collection. This is the oldest TT item I've ever had!
WTB any of the HP Products locomotive parts
Murad

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:41 pm

Well, I am at a bit of a sticking point, regarding this particular car:
Do I refit the couplers to Kadee couplers so that the car can see use, or do I leave as-is?
AstroGoat760

Postby Richard-B » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:40 am

AstroGoat760 wrote:Do I refit the couplers to Kadee couplers so that the car can see use, or do I leave as-is?
Perhaps another, newer car as a go-between?
...with a Kadee at one end and an original HP coupler at the other?
...allowing this car, and possibly others, to stay original.

That same conundrum keeps me from trying to re-motor and/or re-wire the pre-1950 SP/T&NO 4-6-2 I mentioned...
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:57 am

Richard-B wrote:
AstroGoat760 wrote:Do I refit the couplers to Kadee couplers so that the car can see use, or do I leave as-is?

That is a pretty good idea, actually, now just to come up with a "match car" or two. Perhaps a boxcar and a caboose, each with a knuckle coupler on one end, and a set of HP link couplers on the other.
AstroGoat760

Postby j p » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:56 pm

Richard-B wrote:

That same conundrum keeps me from trying to re-motor and/or re-wire the pre-1950 SP/T&NO 4-6-2 I mentioned...

The old HP knuckle couplers are compatible with Kadee and MTL. You can use that instead of newer HP automatic couplers.
Last edited by j p on Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j p

Postby milwrd1 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:31 pm

AstroGoat760 wrote:
Richard-B wrote:

That is a pretty good idea, actually, now just to come up with a "match car" or two. Perhaps a boxcar and a caboose, each with a knuckle coupler on one end, and a set of HP link couplers on the other.

Much discussion on the forum has been made concerning coupler use on the old HP cars......I've had success with the MTL 1015, 1016 and 1025 couplers, and many have used the HON3 713 narrow gauge HO couplers. Just a point to remember, however.....if in keeping the car original you wish to use the original stamped HP brass trucks, keep in mind that the bolster height is higher with the HP stamped trucks, which will require some fitting / adjustment of the coupler height when mounting the couplers. The desire to mount different type couplers on each end of the car may require different mounting heights / configurations on each end of the car.
milwrd1

Next

Return to General Discussion