Building Eisenbach

Building Eisenbach

Postby Juup » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:51 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have finally started to make visible progress on my loft layout, which I have named "Eisenbach" (fictitious). My previous topic/thread here in TTNut had become very long and includes a lot of twists and turns .... good to start again :) So I am starting a new topic, beginning with the plan, and then a series of posts showing various parts of the build.

As a reminder, the concept is that of a fictitious DB passenger end (kopf) station set roughly in Era IV. The primary interest is to run passenger services of various kinds (TEE, Rheingold, Pop, IC etc) in and out of the station. There is a double track mainline which allows two passenger trains to go on round and round. So an end station connecting to a double track loop. Freight trains will operate out of a staging area and occasionally traverse the main lines, but never (or seldom) enter the main station (except perhaps the odd postal train). A few quirks include a turntable because this is just too cool to leave out (may run an ‘Eilzug’ type ‘rake’ pulled by a Steam engine), a Means of Way depot, a transfer table (most likely feature to get ‘the chop’ should it all begin too look too busy and if money runs out), and on the far end of the layout a quirky mountain line (have a Herr E70 that, once given a new motor and general overhaul, will pull a few small coaches up and down this line).

And importantly, the plan benefited hugely from the super input lots of people on this forum. Most notably, the layout became simpler (less is more someone said) and the track in the big end station became more sensible and in some respects more prototypical. I am pretty happy with the plan now (after fiddling with it for 3 years :). Yes, more could be done to make it more prototypical etc etc but this is balanced against making it simple, providing some space for scenery and buildings, wanting to stick to the larger radius Tillig EW3 turnouts, and various other personal preferences of course. No need to critique the plan now; it is attached here to provide context for the later posts on the building of the layout.

Okay, that was a reminder of the concept and the plan. Onwards ...

Juup
Attachments
Layout Plan Nov 13.jpg
Juup

Re: Building Eisenbach

Postby Juup » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:58 pm

Four photos attached here, showing the room in the summer of 2013 when I was busy making the room suitable for trains, then six months later with the bench work was beginning to take shape, then 6 months later again, and finally how it looks today (with my son behind the camera and me posing).

Juup
Attachments
Loft June 13.jpg
Winter 2014.jpg
Spring 2014.jpg
December 2014.jpg
Juup

Postby Juup » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:05 pm

Some more photos.

1. My first control panel. Pretty happy but have learnt a lot that will improve the design and reliability of the two other control panels I will be making.
First Control Panel.jpg

2. Cobalt turnout motor. There will be about 45 turnouts (about), so this is a big expense … but so far I really like how these install and operate. I use 9 volt supply and they move fairly slowly.
Cobalts.jpg

3. To avoid soldering below the baseboard (lazy me) I use brass earth bars, plastic bolts, washers and wing nuts to secure them, and a short strip of tinned brass in-between the wire and the earth bar screws so to avoid the wire being torn apart.
Brass earth bars.jpg

4. Earth bars doing their work. Note the bus wire is not broken, but goes through the earth bar and onward to the next earth bar a few feet further down. Each piece of rail is connected by soldering to this under-baseboard supply - probably overkill but want to be safe rather than sorry. I have a diamond DCC bus with four branches, plus separate DC buses for peripherals.
Brass earth bar wiring.jpg

The earth bar idea is not mine … I found the idea on some forum - I forget where.

More to come ...

Juup
Juup

Postby Juup » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:16 pm

Next instalment:

1. Soldering of supply to points. Note how I have added supply from the outside rail to the point blade on each side (as suggested elsewhere on TT nut). Seems to work well. The frogs are electrified with polarity switched by the Cobalts.
Soldering EW3.jpg

2. On either side, behind the backdrops, there are staging areas. One for freight trains (2.5m long tracks - pictured) and on the other side for passenger trains (about 1.8m long staging tracks).
Staging.jpg

3. The rubberised cork I use as underlay. A lot of cork advertised as rubberised is not very rubberised at all. This stuff is really great. Probably only available in the UK tough.
Cork.jpg

I glue the cork down to the baseboard with good quality PVA glue, and then glue the track to the cork using the same PVA. I used Copydex first (softer silicone or resin based stuff … not sure of exact composition) in order to have even more silent running, but it is a bit sticky even when dry and when you try to remove a bit the result is often that you pull all of it off. Still searching for the softest possible (but not as soft as Copydex) water soluble glue to do the ballasting - but ballasting is probably 2 years away so still time :)

That's it for now ... more later when I've made more progress.

Juup
Juup

Postby CN-TT » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:26 pm

Looking very good :thumbup: Keep up the good (clean) work! I guess it won't be finished by christmas (2014)!? :lol:
You gotta do much more than believe if you really wanna change things!

"The GuiTTar Case" Gallery
"The GuiTTar Case" YouTube
CN-TT

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:42 pm

Glad this layout is still going :thumbup: Looking forward to more progress :wave:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Juup » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:57 pm

I may have done some tidying and hoovering before taking the photos :shh:
Juup

Postby Juup » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:37 pm

January 12th maiden run with DCC. See YouTube clip :grin:

http://youtu.be/slKyfKxsiks

Juup
Juup

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:19 pm

Love the large diameter curve at the upper right corner :thumbup:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CN-TT » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:02 pm

Smoooooth running, good track work :thumbup:
You gotta do much more than believe if you really wanna change things!

"The GuiTTar Case" Gallery
"The GuiTTar Case" YouTube
CN-TT

Next

Return to Layouts / Track Plans