Building Eisenbach

Re: Building Eisenbach

Postby MacG » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:33 pm

Juup wrote:...

My thinking then is to embed the control knob in the control panel, and that I can visually stop the turntable at the right point. ...

I think that works. I have seen turntables with two switches. One switch on-on for slow and fast selection and a second (on)-off-(on) for the turn direction and the ride. It runs and aims great.
MacG

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:56 pm

Have you looked at the Roco turntable (I have no experience with turntables so perhaps my question is useless)?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: turntable controller

Postby ctxmf74 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:52 am

For a turntable on my old O scale layout I used an HO power pack for turntable power. The speed knob was sensitive enough to stop the turntable in alignment with the stall rails. The turntable had a gear motor and ran pretty slow so I'm not sure it would work in your case but might be worth trying....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby Juup » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:24 am

MacG: That is essentially what I have, but combined into my single control knob. In addition, my control knob controls the speed :)

DaveB: So, yes, my solution is essentially the same. I could have used a regular DC powerpack (have a trusty old Fleischmann I use for testing etc). My control knob will be powered by a the DC bus, and the knob itself will be embedded in my main control panel, so saves space :)

ConducTTor: I have never seen the Roco turntable in real life. I liked the Hapo one because it seemed a simple design, and hence more customisable, and overall more compact (200mm bridge and 210mm total diameter). The Roco turntable has a significantly bigger footprint, but a shorter bridge - 183mm. Hence my longest loco (ironically a Roco BR18 which is 210mm long) would look a bit silly on the Roco turntable.

So, in theory it all stacks up. But I am sure once I install it all - in a few months I think - there will be some surprises :)

Juup
Juup

Postby Juup » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:44 am

By the way, I have now scrapped the idea of a Transfer table. There would be just too much going on. The latest track plan is as follows. I am glad to say I have further reduced the amount of track in the station area, without reducing the operating possibilities I think. Yes, a second track leading to to the turntable would have been more prototypical, but incorporating this in the limited space available would violate my emerging principle of simplicity :)
Loft_Layout_TT_Scale_January_2016_A.jpg
Juup

Postby Bernd » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:20 am

Juup wrote: Yes, a second track leading to to the turntable would have been more prototypical, but incorporating this in the limited space available would violate my emerging principle of simplicity :)
Loft_Layout_TT_Scale_January_2016_A.jpg

Juup,

Would it be possible to take the track that is marked with red by the coaling tower and curve it into the turntable to give that second track to the turntable?

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Juup » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:41 am

Hi Bernd,

Yes, I have played around with that option. However, I'd have to make a series of small compromises to achieve it. The factors include the space between tracks, space needed for low relief buildings between the inner track and the backdrop, the size and shape of the coaling station, the position of the turnout joining the green and blue track, wish to avoid shorter turnouts (I use all Tillig EW3), and the plan to 'park' a shunter at the end of the red track. Hence my pre-emptive defense of not having a second track leading to the turntable :)))

Juup
Juup

Postby Juup » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:13 pm

Hi All,

I realise I haven't posted in this threadfor 2 years ... But have made some progress. Photos here of the station beginning to take shape :)

JuupImageImage

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Juup

Postby Juup » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:19 pm

And control panel for station area ready (except for LEDs). JuupImage

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Juup

Postby MacG » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:48 am

That's looks good! :thumbup:
MacG