@ Juup

Kuhn couplers won't uncouple.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: Building Eisenbach

Postby LVG1 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:12 pm

Juup wrote:On gradients, I know most people calculate these as a fraction of unit of rise over unit of length. So for instance 3 cm per 1 meter (100 cm) is a rise of 3/100. Is that then 3%?

Yes, that's absolutely correct.

Just for info:
There's a difference between European and American calculating. While the 3 cm are vertical in both cases, the 100 cm are horizontal in Europe but track length in America.
For those minimal grades, the difference is negligible (3 % = 1.718358° [European] = 1.719131° [American]).
But for steeper grades, the difference can be enormous—e. g. 100 % = 45° (European) = 90° (American).

Juup wrote:I located my sharpest transition (in a hidden section) from 0 degrees (0 percent) to 1.5 degrees (so about 2.2 percent) and this was achieved over about 18 inches. This transition is consistent with about 9 inches per one percent.

1.5° will be exactly 2.618592 % if you keep to European style and 2.617695 % if you prefer American style, respectively.
If your transition length is 18 inches (45.72 cm), you'll have only 76 % of your maximum car length per percent of grade. That's a little less than the minimum of the rule of thumb mentioned.

:roll: :oops: :roll: I love mathematics... :roll: :oops: :roll:
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby Juup » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:23 pm

Thanks both for the very useful info! I'd better have another look at that section then. I have plenty of space to fix it. It will be in a tunnel so I don't want to have any trouble there :)
Juup

Postby modorney » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:17 pm

> In H0 (my previous scale), the guideline that seemed to work was to allow 1 foot of length for each % of grade change, assuming full-length passenger cars or 85-foot freight cars. So, for example, coming from a 3% grade to level would require a vertical curve length of 3 feet - that can really steepen a short grade, and is an aspect which makes many published small track plans virtually un-buildable.
Now if your longest cars *and locos* are much shorter, it's probably ok to shorten the transition length accordingly.
Since TT cars are ~3/4 as long as H0, I was planning with 9 inches per % of grade change in my layout design.

Thanks, Gerhard - a great tip!
modorney

Postby Juup » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:51 pm

Hi Everyone :)

Finally time for an update --- 2 years and bit into the actual build phase. Have made some good progress on the station area. About 60-70% of the station track is laid, and doing electrical work and point motors etc as I go along.

First photo is looking up towards the platform area of the station, with the main station building dead ahead. Going slow with the track along the wall (on the right) because I need to plan out buildings and more along the lengthy backdrop. Will likely be using a combination of low relief buildings (slicing off 40% of the back off some buildings I already have), an engine shed for sure (almost finished putting together a very nice kit from Modelltec - not in the photo), as well as some wall sections and vegetation.
January2016A.JPG

Next photo is looking down from the station building ... I'm leaning over my workbench and looking down. The platform foundations are fixed in place, but I may change the one on the left along the wall ... to fit in a block of low relief town buildings.
January2016B.JPG

Final photo shows the exit from the station area. A better look at how the turntable and Roundhouse will be positioned vis-a-vis the station approach. To be honest, I think the Auhagen Roundhouse looks oversize and clunky ... will need a lot of work to make it look the way I want it.
January2016C.JPG

Will post a video soon with the first departure from Eisenbach - bar any unexpected issues, this should happen 2-4 weeks from now :)

Juup
Juup

Postby Bernd » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:49 pm

Nice looking layout Juup. :thumbup:

Bernd
Bernd

Postby MacG » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:27 pm

It looks very good with the long tracks at the station!
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby gerhard_k » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:28 am

Juup - very nice work! I have re-read this whole thread, and like your layout scheme, and the way you have optimized the use of this, some would say, quite limiting space, especially the same-level hidden staging.

I am interested in the type and diameter (inches or prototype feet) of your turntable, and what control scheme you intend to use for its rotation and alignment to tracks.
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby Juup » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:18 am

Hi Gerhard,

Good question ... my guiding philosophy throughout the project is pragmatism. Solutions have to be simple, robust and intuitive for later operating. A good example of this is the manual control of turnouts via simple control panel switches. I am hoping that I can do something equally simple with the turntable, but yes I know that getting a turntable to stop at the correct places is a challenge.

First the turntable. It is Hapo Bahn. See:
http://www.hapo-bahn.de/drehscheiben/of ... index.html
(scroll down to: 23M DREHSCHEIBE TT)
Photo of my turntable without parts installed:
Turntable.JPG

Here is the 'simple' solution I will try first. The image shows the motor that came with the turntable ... it is a bit noisy and plasticky, and it had broken off the turntable during the delivery (I think) but this is easily fixed. Most importantly, it seems to be geared nicely and turns the bridge very slowly at 9 volts. The control knob is bi-directional, and this, combined with the gearing of the Hapo motor mechanism should allow for very very very slow running, and fine adjustments (provided the Hapo motor responds well to low voltages :).
Turntable Motor and Switch.JPG

Final photo is of the underside of the turntable. The electric supply is conventional, and it will have to incorporate a DCC polarity switch module (autoreverser).
Turntable Under.JPG

My thinking then is to embed the control knob in the control panel, and that I can visually stop the turntable at the right point. If this doesn't work, then I will probably start thinking of enhanced solutions. This might be enhancing the visual detection (camera or optical sensors - I use optical sensors in the staging areas - but accuracy requirement may rule this out) or mechanically breaking the current supply at the right moment. That is the point, also, where I will start trawling the internet as well as come back to the board here and ask for suggestions :) I do know people have developed quite advanced solutions already, but my impression is that this is quite technical and work intensive.

If all fails, then I would be tempted by the following company:
http://www.admturntables.co.uk/
I spoke to them at a show last autumn, it can be fitted onto my turntable and the mechanism would fit below my baseboard. But the price is around £400 !!!

Juup
Juup

Postby Juup » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:09 am

... and if all I need is a more accurate motor I'd go here:
http://www.abcgears.co.uk/html/turntables.html
But doesn't solve the indexing problem of course.
Juup
Juup

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans