Building a Critter

Building a Critter

Postby Bernd » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:02 am

I'm sure that the title of this thread has some confused. I can hear it now, "What the heck is a Critter and what has it to do with model railroading?" Some will think what has a bug to do with model railroading? Well it's what they call an engine this small or built in the railroads home shop. They are mainly used to move one or two cars on the property of the railroad.

Here's a composite of several Critters. The little boxcab, the black & white picture, is a narrow gauge engine used in Colorado by a construction company.

Here's one of two I built for a customer that models in On30.

It's really not fully complete. The customer wanted to finish with roof paint, handrails and so forth.

So I've been contemplating to build some power for my Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy (http://www.ttnut.com/otter-creek-falls-coal-lumber-rwy-t2600.html) I want to scratch build a TT scale Class A Climax eventually, but in the mean time I'll need some power to move cars. I finally found a chassis that is usable for building a Critter. I've gotten this far.

The power unit came from this Roundhouse kit. I have four of them. I have an HO project in mind for two of them.

Here are the major parts needed from the kit. You'll need a lathe to clean off the gear teeth (yellow box) and make the pulley's. Also the axle wells need to be modified for TT gauge. On the first one I actually cut those right off even with the sides, mistake. So I had make washers to keep the axles centered. I'll post more info on this when I build the second one. I want to build the first before posting since the project needs to be developed since not every idea works out.

I'll post more as I develop this little critter.

Bernd
Last edited by Bernd on Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernd

Re: Building a Critter

Postby MacG » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:43 pm

A new topic for an old theme? See here: favorite-critter-model-or-protoype-t2647.html
MacG

Postby Bernd » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:13 pm

MacG wrote:A new topic for an old theme? See here: favorite-critter-model-or-protoype-t2647.html

Yes, so I see, but with an actual project in mind this time. Guess there's no interest then?

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Arseny » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:18 pm

I beleive it's interesting, but show us your progress! :wink:
Arseny

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:57 pm

Very inspiring! I have a powered bogie that I just may build a boxcab critter out of as well.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Bernd » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:28 pm

More coming as I get it designed. Not a fast process.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:56 pm

After three attempts at making a perfect sub frame/chassis I came up with one that will work. Machining some brass pieces I made two end blocks and two sides. Soldered one side to the end blocks. Holes were drilled in the side for support pins that will hold the parts on the motor/gear box combination.

The pins have shoulders to keep the sides a specific distance from the wheel edges.

To hold the sides together four screw holes will need to be drilled and tapped yet.

That's it for today.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:55 pm

Beautiful so far!
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:53 am

I love that you're using thick brass where possible. Weight is a big deal when you only have 4 wheels for electrical pickup.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bernd » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:31 pm

Astro & ConducTTor, thanks for the encouraging words. Much appreciated.

Anyway, the first pictures shows that I make mistakes too. I just don't show them all. :shock: :lol:

First when I drill the holes for the 0-80 screws to hold the second side to the other side I broke a drill on the second set of holes. The drill is stuck in the end piece. No way to get it out. It's only .046"Dia. (red circle) what to do? Drill only one hole somewhere near the middle. After that disaster I discovered I'd soldered the support pegs on the wrong side when trying to assemble the sub-frame. So ya, not everything I do turns out perfect the first or second or ....... time.

So here's the corrected part, as far as the pegs go. I'm not going to cover the hole. I plan on covering the sides up when I come up with a design for the cab.

I need to figure out a wheel wiper system to pick up the voltage. Not much room to come up with something.

That's it for now. It'll take some time and probably many different iterations to come up with a current pick-up system.

Bernd
Last edited by Bernd on Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernd

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models