Buffers

Buffers

Postby jmass » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:11 pm

Other than prototypical correctness is there any reason to leave the buffers on European freight cars as they seem to be the cause of a lot of derailments. I run my trains at a pretty slow speed and am using tillig r11 bedding track.
jmass

Re: Buffers

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:59 pm

jmass wrote:Other than prototypical correctness is there any reason to leave the buffers on European freight cars as they seem to be the cause of a lot of derailments. I run my trains at a pretty slow speed and am using tillig r11 bedding track.

Aside from emulating the real thing, there is no real benefit to having the buffers in place on the model.

Are the buffers clashing on your models?
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!
CaTTwoman281

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:01 am

Can you define the issues you're having? Like with pictures, specific models? I have experienced some issues with the buffers causing problems but it's only been with some Roco cars.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby jmass » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:23 pm

001.JPG
These two cars seem to be the culprits. The flatbed is from tilligs starter set with the traxx br185 loco. the tank cars was purchased seperatly. Seems to happen on the curves which are the tilligs r 11 and it happens to whatever car they are hooked up to. I also had the same problem with roco freight cars but never with tilligs.
jmass

Postby j p » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:39 pm

jmass wrote:
001.JPG
These two cars seem to be the culprits. The flatbed is from tilligs starter set with the traxx br185 loco. the tank cars was purchased seperatly. Seems to happen on the curves which are the tilligs r 11 and it happens to whatever car they are hooked up to. I also had the same problem with roco freight cars but never with tilligs.

It is probably a result of the manufacturers not following the NEM standard (or not informing about it). The curve you are using is suitable only for shorter cars (according to NEM), some longer cars could run through it and some others may need modifications. I'd not blame the buffers. Slightly longer couplers may help.
Also, check the grooves for the coupler movement for any imperfections which may prevent the coupler from moving to the sides.
j p

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:13 am

R11 is pretty tight. I wonder if you took out the flat car if you would still see the same issues.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion